RMweb

Not all bad news then this year.

steve1

What is it with people thinking it trendy to bash certain artists? Currently it's Coldplay before then it was the Bedingfield siblings before them Genesis, Wings etc.

Admittedly Mr. Martin and Co haven't done much to interest me since the excellent Parachutes, but live and let live for crying out loud.

C6T. 

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Classsix T said:

What is it with people thinking it trendy to bash certain artists? Currently it's Coldplay before then it was the Bedingfield siblings before them Genesis, Wings etc.

Admittedly Mr. Martin and Co haven't done much to interest me since the excellent Parachutes, but live and let live for crying out loud.

C6T. 

And a happy new year to you too!

Mike.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

I will give my stock answer to any person's comments regarding music:

When you have made a living from writing and performing music then you will be in a position to critique others.

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 2

8 hours ago, Flood said:

I will give my stock answer to any person's comments regarding music:

When you have made a living from writing and performing music then you will be in a position to critique others.

I totally disagree.

You're mistaking music ability to musical taste, they're different things. Some great musicians have released total dross over the years. 

Does that mean someone who was written a book has more say in what books are good and what good writing is? As anyone can write a book and now with the internet you can even self publish it. 

Most of the best critics have never written a book, made music or directed a film. Are their views wrong? No.

And if musicians are listening to critics then it's probably time for them to give up. It should be water off a ducks back.

Elton John probably doesn't give two figs to the fact he's not released a truly decent ground breaking song in about four decades. His fans and the general public still buy his stuff.

Jason

• Like 4

Correct.

Celebrating the fact that a musician/band is not going to create any new music is a slur on the individual.

Not liking the music they make is personal taste.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 24/12/2021 at 20:38, F-UnitMad said:

Since when did anything made by Coldplay* count as 'music', anyway?? :scratchhead: :dontknow:  :jester:

*countless other 'bands' from about 1985 onwards are available.... ;)

Although they're not my favourite band, they've produced some good stuff.

but importantly, everything that they've done has at least been music,

compared to certain genres, which consist of people shouting or ranting over

a repeated beat or noise, not music!

29 minutes ago, jcm@gwr said:

Although they're not my favourite band, they've produced some good stuff.

but importantly, everything that they've done has at least been music,

compared to certain genres, which consist of people shouting or ranting over

a repeated beat or noise, not music!

But your criticism of what other people call music is no different from criticising people who don't like Coldplay because it meets 'your' standard of music.

11 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

But your criticism of what other people call music is no different from criticising people who don't like Coldplay because it meets 'your' standard of music.

No, I don't like opera, but they can sing, and to music, even though I don't enjoy it

(c) Rap is not singing, the closest might be described as chanting.

I don't like all kinds of music and/or singing, but I know whether it is musical or not.

I'm not trying to impose my 'standard' of music on anyone, just using a normal

definition of music, as against noise

• Like 1

Coldplay bore me senseless, but they've brought an awful lot of pleasure to an awful lot of people, and that's undoubtedly a good thing.

I wish I liked everything that I don't, because not liking certain music doesn't do anything to make my life better.

Just now, jcm@gwr said:

No, I don't like opera, but they can sing, and to music, even though I don't enjoy it

I don't like all kinds of music and/or singing, but I know whether it is musical or not.

What defines "music" then?

You cite Rap, which maybe isn't the most melodic thing you food listen to, but what about it means it's not musical?

4 minutes ago, Zomboid said:

What defines "music" then?

You cite Rap, which maybe isn't the most melodic thing you food listen to, but what about it means it's not musical?

Perhaps more that it's not musically very interesting, repetitive accompaniment and rather limited vocal line?

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, jcm@gwr said:

But you are criticising people over their taste in music whilst criticising types of music yourself.

Do you not see the irony?

Edited by woodenhead
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, johnarcher said:

Perhaps more that it's not musically very interesting, repetitive accompaniment and rather limited vocal line?

Repetition is a key component of music; how many popular songs go verse-chorus-verse-chorus. And rapping is a highly skillful activity when done well. (It's not for me, I'm an Iron Maiden fan, but it's no less skillful than more traditional vocal styles, especially when improvised as it often is at the fundamental level).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

But you are criticising people over their taste in music whilst criticising types of music yourself.

Do you not see the irony?

And if you tell the difference between music and noise, then there is no point in trying to explain it.

I'm dismissing a genre because it's not musical or singing (it's angry people shouting and ranting)

not singling out one artist because I don't like what they produce, if  you can't see the irony of your

argument, then this is pointless, you should be criticising others in this thread

@jcm@gwr
If you want to be able to critique others you have to able to accept criticism too.

There is music I like and music I dislike, but I don’t dismiss someone else’s expression of music simply because I don’t like it.

I personally enjoy both classical and contemporary music, I can listen to Beethoven, the Beatles, the Sex Pistols or Taylor Swift.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1