RMweb

Formula 1 2022

didcot

• RMweb Premium

Could this and the subsequent reflection have broadened Hamilton's horizon? Will we see him announce a LeMans/Indy 500 challenge. I haven't checked the respective calendars for clashes but that would add to his currency more than an 8th world title in my opinion.

Both events seem to allow drivers to be competitive to a greater age than F1 so it could be a good time to transition if he wants to prolong his career.

Also it's a way to go out as he came in, really annoying Alonso.

• Like 3

It's easy to forget LH had some controversial moves on MV last year as well, which overall, went unpunished or at best lightly 'corrected' by a "nothing-burger" time penalty well within the margin of his gap to the next driver over the line :rolleyes: Most of all, Lewis hit Max at top speed, causing Max to crash horribly while Lewis won that race. Had Max been able to continue his race, even if Lewis was ahead of him and finishing 2nd, Max would have won his deserved title (much) earlier in the season. FIA rules should have black-flagged Lewis for causing the collision, which would have left Max with the extra 25 points lead he now lost due to his DNF. The way Merc (and Lewis) handled the last races showed, IMO (!!), they are bad losers. I wish RB would have protested Merc/LH actions more, some were, (again IMO!!) borderline illegal. but then, what do I know, I don't race F1 cars anyway :P

Now, I'm aware this is a UK forum so I'm in the lions den here, but this matter should be looked at from both sides. Both drivers are outstanding in their field and yes it would have been only a matter of time before Max got his title anyway.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I wouldn't say your in 'the lion's den' here. You are perfectly entitled to have your own opinion of what happened though the season. Everyone wants their favourite driver to do well and there is nothing wrong with that.

In my opinion it takes two to tango. To that end, on the Silverstone incident I still feel it was BOTH drivers at fault as they BOTH could have done more to avoid the collision. The stewards said that Lewis was 'Predominantly' to blame, not that he was 100% to blame. That he went on to then win despite the penalty given is down to his determination. If the roles were reversed I'm sure Max would have done the same.

It was a closely contested championship which obviously causes friction between both Teams involved and both fanbases. What we need to see is better and more consistent decision making on the part of the Stewards. You can argue that there are times when BOTH drivers should have had penalties which were not given.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold

Yep, for me the only real controversy was the decision at the end, if they’d had nearer equal tyres then it would be game on but it was inevitable and messy. To be honest I thought their transgressions and luck pretty much evened out over the season otherwise. 
Ultimately the pay is more than compensation for the F1 drivers to get over disappointments many drivers get in many formula where there’s little financial pillow to soften the pain. F1 needed someone to break the run too or Max would be forever haunted by was Lewis better? 
To be honest I thought Toto won the media game over CH, see a Brit praising a German over another Brit ;) . I hope MB and Lewis come back hungrier as a result, that decision was a pantomime ending. If they have ultimate power then let them have new tyres (fuel too) and ‘extra time’ 3-5 laps to sort it out in such a circumstance.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

On 07/01/2022 at 09:23, Andrew P said:

F1 overcame “reluctance” to introduce synthetic fuels by 2026 – Symonds.

https://www.racefans.net/2022/01/07/f1-overcame-reluctance-to-introduce-synthetic-fuels-by-2026-symonds/

Synthetic Fuels. F1 has been there before, prior to 1958 Grand Prix cars could run on exotic nitro-methane-laced alcohol blends. From then on, they were required to run on pump petrol. The location of that particular pump never being specified, though. 

Then in the 1980s, the fuel chemist got to work on designer petrol.

• Informative/Useful 5

2 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Yep, for me the only real controversy was the decision at the end, if they’d had nearer equal tyres then it would be game on but it was inevitable and messy. To be honest I thought their transgressions and luck pretty much evened out over the season otherwise. 
Ultimately the pay is more than compensation for the F1 drivers to get over disappointments many drivers get in many formula where there’s little financial pillow to soften the pain. F1 needed someone to break the run too or Max would be forever haunted by was Lewis better? 
To be honest I thought Toto won the media game over CH, see a Brit praising a German over another Brit ;) . I hope MB and Lewis come back hungrier as a result, that decision was a pantomime ending. If they have ultimate power then let them have new tyres (fuel too) and ‘extra time’ 3-5 laps to sort it out in such a circumstance.

Totally agree Paul, except that Toto is Austrian, but its close to the Border, and sounds similar, but he does have a lovely British Racing Wife, which helps.:D

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Totally agree Paul, except that Toto is Austrian, but its close to the Border, and sounds similar, but he does have a lovely British Racing Wife, which helps.:D

Oh yes ! sorry thinking of the team ;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rocor said:

Synthetic Fuels. F1 has been there before, prior to 1958 Grand Prix cars could run on exotic nitro-methane-laced alcohol blends. From then on, they were required to run on pump petrol. The location of that particular pump never being specified, though. 

Then in the 1980s, the fuel chemist got to work on designer petrol.

If they're using elf, there could be anything in the tank!

(And before a brand rename, elf was Jet....)

• Funny 1

Years (and years) ago there was a chain of petrol stations in the UK called Jet.  One day, posters started appearing on their forecourts proclaiming "Now for Britain itself".  Eventually, these posters became "Now for Britain its Elf" and the pump logos and forecourt signage changed to Elf.

I think they eventually shut up shop in the UK well before the turn of the century, but thanks to the magic of advertising, their silly little slogan has lodged itself in the back of my brain...

Just goes to show the vagaries of memory.  I could have sworn that they were Jet stations, but having looked at the link in Oldddudders post above,  its possible that they were Total stations. :scratchhead: Bu@@er!

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

If you Google "Jet brand petrol" Wikipedia comes up with a very different story. I couldn't copy the link successfully but to summarise:

Founded in Yorkshire in 1954, taken over by Conoco (a US company) in 1961, which subsequently merged with Phillips Petroleum (Conoco-Philips) later rebranded as Phillips 66 and sold off.

No mention of Elf at all.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 31/12/2021 at 20:54, didcot said:

Happy New Years Eve.

Here's hoping for a good season with plenty of on track battles, proper application Of rules and less whining. 

Whining? That'll be the diff surely...

On 01/01/2022 at 08:45, Oldddudders said:

F1 really needs a reset this year, after the dreadful mess of the final race last season. 

Let's hope the FIA is doing some soul-searching.

Not just the last race. Spa also stood out as an example where the rules/policies/consistency seemed way short of where they should be

• Agree 5

3 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

Not just the last race. Spa also stood out as an example where the rules/policies/consistency seemed way short of where they should be

Can't argue with that. :good:

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Years (and years) ago there was a chain of petrol stations in the UK called Jet.  One day, posters started appearing on their forecourts proclaiming "Now for Britain itself".  Eventually, these posters became "Now for Britain its Elf" and the pump logos and forecourt signage changed to Elf.

I think they eventually shut up shop in the UK well before the turn of the century, but thanks to the magic of advertising, their silly little slogan has lodged itself in the back of my brain...

There are still 330 Jet Petrol Stations in the UK!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

2 hours ago, andyman7 said:

Judgements were inconsistent at most races.

It seems drivers can do almost as they please & team managers dictate the rules.

• Agree 3

So, Who is looking forward to seeing any New Liveries for 2022?

I cant see much changing TBH, apart from the possibility of Merc switching back to Silver, (See Post above) the only other major change I think we might see will be at Williams, Unless Rich Energy, does eventually get to sponsor a Team as he promised in  2018 / 19 / 20 / 21 :laugh:

• Like 1

On 08/01/2022 at 11:46, SR71 said:

Could this and the subsequent reflection have broadened Hamilton's horizon? Will we see him announce a LeMans/Indy 500 challenge. I haven't checked the respective calendars for clashes but that would add to his currency more than an 8th world title in my opinion.

Both events seem to allow drivers to be competitive to a greater age than F1 so it could be a good time to transition if he wants to prolong his career.

Also it's a way to go out as he came in, really annoying Alonso.

He was quite disparaging about the quality of indy car drivers when fernando announced his first attempt at the 500 so I don't think he would get a warm welcome there.

• Agree 2

56 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

So, Who is looking forward to seeing any New Liveries for 2022?

I cant see much changing TBH, apart from the possibility of Merc switching back to Silver, (See Post above) the only other major change I think we might see will be at Williams, Unless Rich Energy, does eventually get to sponsor a Team as he promised in  2018 / 19 / 20 / 21 :laugh:

The mclaren gulf colours at Monaco were fab. Just a shame most of the iconic liveries were for fag packets.

• Agree 5

1 hour ago, Chrisr40 said:

The mclaren gulf colours at Monaco were fab. Just a shame most of the iconic liveries were for fag packets.

Maybe the cigarette companies could acquire Fairtrade Vegan Food subsidiaries, that then could sponsor F1.

Their liveries, though, would be almost identical to that of the parent company.  :D

• Funny 3

4 hours ago, Chrisr40 said:

I was lucky enough to see the car in Gulf colours at Goodwood FOS, it looked amazing and would be fantastic to see them adopt those colours.

• Like 2

I see the FIA attempts to make consistent decisions and penalties is going well.... Just so happens as well by not applying a penalty the second placed person does not get disadvantaged in their fight for the lead of the rally:

https://www.motorsport.com/dakar/news/loeb-escapes-penalty-for-lost-spare-wheel-in-dakar-stage-8/7175801/

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Chrisr40 said:

He was quite disparaging about the quality of indy car drivers when fernando announced his first attempt at the 500 so I don't think he would get a warm welcome there.

Didn't remember that but it would be good telly then so he's probably had some decent offers. "8 time world champion gets schooled, etc. etc." He has a pretty high profile in the US already too.

I'd like to see him driving something else that doesn't have tyres made from halloumi really.

39 minutes ago, 37114 said:

I see the FIA attempts to make consistent decisions and penalties is going well.... Just so happens as well by not applying a penalty the second placed person does not get disadvantaged in their fight for the lead of the rally:

https://www.motorsport.com/dakar/news/loeb-escapes-penalty-for-lost-spare-wheel-in-dakar-stage-8/7175801/

Like the Falcons in the 60's where the (quite heavy) front bumpers would fall off in the first lap accidentally. Interesting that in both cases the strap failed on one side only.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, rocor said:

Maybe the cigarette companies could acquire Fairtrade Vegan Food subsidiaries, that then could sponsor F1.

Their liveries, though, would be almost identical to that of the parent company.  :D

You joke, and it may just be because I'm tired, but why hasn't that been done? Ferrari were supposed to still be sponsored by Marlboro long after the ban. They used Marlboro red instead of rosso and Marlboro could use images of the cars in territories where advertising was still allowed.

Someone call Claire, she can buy the team back...!

New Williams sponsored by fizzy orange vitamin tablet brand Barocthmans!

• Funny 1