RMweb

Formula 1 2022

didcot

• RMweb Premium
On 21/11/2022 at 06:25, Roy Langridge said:

Verstappen also has to realise he is damaging his future as well. If a time comes when Red Bull are non competitive (and it will) he may wish to move on, but there will be teams looking at him with even more distrust/ caution now.

As said before, for a team the constructor’s title is the main prize, and that needs harmony within the team.

Roy

Not necessarily true - Alonso blackmailed Mclaren during Spygate and he ended up at Ferrari a few years later and almost won two more titles.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Yes, but look at what happened to him after - none of the top teams would touch him, possibly due to his reputation of toxicity, and he ended up crawling back to McLaren, then Alpine, now Aston, all of which were/are going through fallow periods when they couldn’t sign a Hamilton or Verstappen.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Obi-Jiff Kenobi said:

Yes, but look at what happened to him after - none of the top teams would touch him, possibly due to his reputation of toxicity, and he ended up crawling back to McLaren, then Alpine, now Aston, all of which were/are going through fallow periods when they couldn’t sign a Hamilton or Verstappen.

Yes but that's not what the original point was.

• Like 1

On 18/03/2022 at 22:14, EddieB said:

Ok, time to put last season behind us (as if!), all set to go racing?

Prediction time: it’s going to take a while for the new regulations to bed down, with some teams taking an advantage while others are disadvantaged.  I think there could be six or more drivers heading for the top step of the podium as the season progresses (hoping Lando and George are among them).  Controversy from the word go, even a possible row between Red Bull and Alpha Tauri, as Horner looks to pick fights with other teams all around the paddock.

I want and hope Lewis can right the wrongs of last season and bag that eighth championship, but as we start the season I think the table is too far tilted towards Max.

I thought this would be amusing, but I’m surprised that I wasn’t too far off.  Pity that Lando never had the win that I’d hoped for, but at least George did get that first win.  Otherwise it was no one outside Red Bull and Ferrari winning a race.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

So MV openly stating he deliberately caused a collision wasn't worth investigating. 🤔

Somewhat disappointing. I think redbull must have a deal for a fallow year next year much like there were anomalies in performance at McLaren after spygate. Suggestion at the time was, I think, Bernie agreed they would avoid a more significant sporting penalty as long as they didn't win the championship? Lewis had that odd incident in Brazil where his engine cut then restarted, despite it being a time when F1 cars couldn't start themselves, that put him out of contention. I have never seen an explanation of that or anyone ask Lewis about it since.

Thanks 2022, you were better than 2021 but then that bar was particularly low. I hope 2023 continues with more consistent stewardship and less Christian Horner.

• Like 1

That depends on your definition of "better". I would regard a season where the Championship went down to the last race as being a better one where it was never in doubt and won with four races to go, regardless of the "controversial" end to 2001.

• Agree 5

3 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

That depends on your definition of "better". I would regard a season where the Championship went down to the last race as being a better one where it was never in doubt and won with four races to go, regardless of the "controversial" end to 2001.

Hamilton said much the same in an interview.

He commented that this season was boring because Verstappen had won it so comfortably. Obviously the media quoted this but he also stated that it was boring for many viewers when he won the title with several races left.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

8 hours ago, SR71 said:

Thanks 2022, you were better than 2021 but then that bar was particularly low. I hope 2023 continues with more consistent stewardship and less Christian Horner.

Don't forget there was enough excitement prior to Abi Dhabi 2021 for a domestic TV channel to buy live coverage and increase advertising revenues accordingly. And after how that ended up I couldn't be bothered with the lack of sportingness (if that's a word) and didn't bother with the first few races, in fact I ended up reading the post race report for Mexico then didn't bother watching the highlights. I dare say viewing figures have followed the same pattern.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

22 lacked the false jeopardy of 21 which is why I rate it higher. 21 should have been a good season but the constant poor stuarding ruined it. I don't think it made the season any closer so all it did was fustrate and annoy people.

That final race was an embarrassment to try and explain to the casual viewer. Like suddenly having two balls in the pitch in the world cup because there hadn't been enough goals at 80 mins.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Just speculation at the moment, all be it very certain, on what will happen. Shame, seems he finally got their engineering working only for strategy to drop the ball.

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/1017947/1/binotto-set-leave-ferrari-f1-team-principal-role

No doubt Ferrari should have placed better than they ultimately did this year.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, SR71 said:

Just speculation at the moment, all be it very certain, on what will happen. Shame, seems he finally got their engineering working only for strategy to drop the ball.

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/1017947/1/binotto-set-leave-ferrari-f1-team-principal-role

No doubt Ferrari should have placed better than they ultimately did this year.

If you remove the period Todt was running the team, they have not won a team or driver's title since 1980.

The same has happened under Binotto, Arrivabene & Domenicali; they have been a No2/No3 team. If it is not the team principal then it must be the management they report to.

Expect to see them continue as 2nd best with another Italian "in charge".

• Agree 3

33 minutes ago, OnTheBranchline said:

Not making Leclerc the clear #1 was a huge mistake early in the season. 

The problem is even if they had, he still wouldn't have won. I like Leclerc and once it was obvious at the start of the season that Mercedes was nowhere I was behind Leclerc as part of my "anyone but Verstappen to win" stance but between his mistakes, unreliability and poor strategy they let Red Bull back in. Red Bull obviously used their spare dinner money well managed to deliver a good upgrade package mid season that meant they could beat all the other teams, it just might have been a little closer if Leclerc had been given more help.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, didcot said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/63758235

Binotto to leave Ferrari. 

I am not surprised.

The Italian media & Ferrari's senior management put their F1 team under huge pressure to win. Binotto stated early on in his time as team principal that he should be judged after a season with the new technical rules, not before. That is now.

The team was expected to win either or both of the driver's or constructor's title. Second in both is not good enough.

I believe Binotto managed his 'no blame culture' wrong. Instead of exonerating blame & removing pressure, it meant that the 2 people under most pressure, the drivers, were not allowed any way of easing it on themselves. Sainz made several errors early on which looked like they were caused by him trying too hard. Once he got his first win, he looked a lot more settled.

Leclerc took the blame for his spin in France & he never looked as confident again.

I hope he has success with whatever he does next. He seems to be one of the more genuine in the paddock.

• Like 8