The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2022

didcot

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, didcot said:

So no change 40 years later!

Ferrari won the constructors champ in 1983 so it wasn’t for nothing. Besides Nelson Piquet and Alain Prost are far better drivers than Rene Arnoux and Patrick Tambay.

Edited by OnTheBranchline
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

or each others cars 🤣

They should all do a quali lap in each others cars and the driver with the fastest aggregate time is the winner.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SR71 said:

Can they at least do them in something interesting to save costs on running the race cars?

My vote is for them to use local taxis for the sprint.

A star F1 driver in a reasonably priced car?

I wonder if Top Gear still has the Chevrolet Lacetti available?

Failing that, bring back the "Le Mans" style start....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, SR71 said:

Can they at least do them in something interesting to save costs on running the race cars?

My vote is for them to use local taxis for the sprint.

2CVs. That would sort the men from the boys.

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

45 minutes ago, 57xx said:

2CVs. That would sort the men from the boys.

A Dyane would be even more effective, with a slightly more "powerful" engine and greater top-hamper, giving it more lean around corners!

Sea sickness tablets could be offered to wimps...

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

I know this is an F1 thread but with silly season in full swing - I saw an article claiming Horner would be going to Ferrari this week - and only 3 weeks before the thread is closed forever;

What do you do to fill the motorsport void left by the (admittedly now very short) off season? You could get on with some hobbies... Railway modelling?... but that seems impractical. I'd like to watch Aussie touring cars but I don't know where it can be watched from the UK. I did however enjoy the memories this brought back;

Despite only being 11 I can remember watching it and even being at Brands Hatch with the sound the Alfa's made going down Paddock.

There's no doubting that Murray Walker is responsible for my love of motor racing.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, SR71 said:

There's no doubting that Murray Walker is responsible for my love of motor racing.

While Murray, with his unbounded enthusiasm and self-deprecating approach to his own mistakes, was without doubt a major influence on my early interest in motor sport, I do still have a fond memory of Charlie Cox once commentating on a lap-long dice in a BTCC race at Thruxton.  As the two came barrelling through Church and Brooklands heading towards the Club chicane he described the lead driver, at the very limit of grip and with his adversary nudging hopefully at his rear bumper, as being "busier than a one-armed paper-hanger".  I thought it was both a brilliantly accurate metaphor and - though I should probably be ashamed to admit it these days - extremely funny.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, ejstubbs said:

Club chicane he described the lead driver, at the very limit of grip and with his adversary nudging hopefully at his rear bumper, as being "busier than a one-armed paper-hanger".

I remember exactly that among many other one liners. His constant referrals to Cleland and Warwick as the good ol' boys is another fond memory.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, OnTheBranchline said:

Just wait - they will buy out an existing team rather than start a new team. 

Isn't that what most 'new teams' do?

Mercedes bought Brawn who were Honda who were BAR

Red Bull bought Jaguar who were Stewart

Aston Martin bought Force India who bought Spyker

Alfa Romeo bought Sauber

Alpha Tauri were Toro Rosso who were previously Minardi

Alpine were always a Renault brand, but they were previously Renault after Team Lotus (not the real Lotus) after Renault again who took over Benetton, but before that they were Toleman.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, SR71 said:

I know this is an F1 thread but with silly season in full swing - I saw an article claiming Horner would be going to Ferrari this week - and only 3 weeks before the thread is closed forever;

What do you do to fill the motorsport void left by the (admittedly now very short) off season? You could get on with some hobbies... Railway modelling?... but that seems impractical. I'd like to watch Aussie touring cars but I don't know where it can be watched from the UK. I did however enjoy the memories this brought back;

Despite only being 11 I can remember watching it and even being at Brands Hatch with the sound the Alfa's made going down Paddock.

I’d forgotten the era of the Volvo estates.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Mercedes bought Brawn who were Honda who were BAR

Aston Martin bought Force India who bought Spyker

Alfa Romeo bought Sauber

Alpha Tauri were Toro Rosso who were previously Minardi

Alpine were always a Renault brand, but they were previously Renault after Team Lotus (not the real Lotus) after Renault again who took over Benetton, but before that they were Toleman.

I think Haas is arguably the only genuinely new-ish team? And they bought some equipment and facilities I think.

We've still got with Ferrari, Williams and McLaren, who are the teams they've always been (although you can argue not really as the people have changed but that's true of any business).

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Mercedes bought Brawn who were Honda who were BAR who were Tyrrell

Aston Martin (as Racing Point) bought Force India who bought Spyker who bought Midland who bought Jordan.

(Though note that Racing Point bought the assets and re-employed the staff of Force India. The Jordan/Midland/Spyker/Force India team entry was terminated when Force India went into administration. Technically Aston Martin/Racing Point was a new team.)

Alfa Romeo bought Sauber Not quite. AR are the title sponsors of the team, and technical partners, but ownership of the team remains with Longbow Finance who bought the team off Peter Sauber in 2016. However from 2006 until 2010, the team was owned by BMW until Peter Sauber bought it back.

Alpha Tauri were Toro Rosso who were previously Minardi (though of course the change from Toro Rosso to Alpha Tauri is a branding change and not a change of ownership)

Alpine were always a Renault brand, but they were previously Renault after Team Lotus (not the real Lotus) after Renault again who took over Benetton, but before that they were Toleman. (Team Lotus was what became Caterham)

It is easier to buy a Formula One team than to set up a new one as purchasing a team usually brings with it experienced engineers, mechanics, fluid dynamicists, etc, whatever the team was working on up to the point of sale, the drivers, and quite often commercial contracts such as sponsorship. Of course the downside is that a team that is up for sale may well have less brilliant engineers and technical knowledge than the other teams.

Whilst Haas is the most recent "new" team, there have been many others over the years, including Lotus Racing/Team Lotus/Caterham,  Manor/Marussia, HRT, Toyota, Stewart (and. as mentioned above, technically Racing Point) - and that's just in the time I've been following the sport.

Scuderia Ferrari is of course the only team that can trace its entry right back to the start of F1 in 1950. All the other teams on the grid have been "new" teams at some point.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 08/12/2022 at 15:13, ejstubbs said:

(Snip) I do still have a fond memory of Charlie Cox once commentating on a lap-long dice in a BTCC race at Thruxton. (Snip)

While I don’t remember which race or driver, I do recall Charlie saying, as a car slid through a bend, “He’s got about as much grip as a dog on lino.”

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

8 hours ago, Obi-Jiff Kenobi said:

While I don’t remember which race or driver, I do recall Charlie saying, as a car slid through a bend, “He’s got about as much grip as a dog on lino.”

That was a good one.  According to https://1990sbtcc.com/2022/06/23/charlies-memorable-one-liners/ it was Thruxton in 1997, as Will Hoy and Patrick Watts collided in very wet and slippery conditions.

Plenty more on that web page!  (But not the paper-hanger one, for some reason.)

• Like 2

My eldest has just shown me a video of Horner receiving the constructors trophy at the end of year gala. The FIA president told Horner not to worry, it wasn't part of the cost cap and they wouldn't have to pay it back. He didn't look impressed!🤣

• Funny 12

So my son and his girlfriend were going to an F1 shop in Milton Keynes today. They saw loads of event signs up. Once they had parked they could hear F1 engines. They followed the sound and found Red Bull doing a free event. Max doing donuts in a 2012 car. Sounded awesome he said. Not that either of they are RB fans, but was pretty impressed. 

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1