The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2022

didcot

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I am not surprised.

The Italian media & Ferrari's senior management put their F1 team under huge pressure to win. Binotto stated early on in his time as team principal that he should be judged after a season with the new technical rules, not before. That is now.

The team was expected to win either or both of the driver's or constructor's title. Second in both is not good enough.

I believe Binotto managed his 'no blame culture' wrong. Instead of exonerating blame & removing pressure, it meant that the 2 people under most pressure, the drivers, were not allowed any way of easing it on themselves. Sainz made several errors early on which looked like they were caused by him trying too hard. Once he got his first win, he looked a lot more settled.

Leclerc took the blame for his spin in France & he never looked as confident again.

I hope he has success with whatever he does next. He seems to be one of the more genuine in the paddock.

They need to fire that pit strategy guy asap.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Pete the Elaner said:

The team was expected to win either or both of the driver's or constructor's title. Second in both is not good enough

Second in the drivers championship was possibly only down to Crashtappen being selfish!

• Agree 5

27 minutes ago, didcot said:

Second in the drivers championship was possibly only down to Crashtappen being selfish!

I agree with that. Ferrari could have asked Leclerc & Sainz to give Leclerc 3rd in Brazil & therefore 3 points extra but I guess they felt it more important to give Sainz the confidence from another podium.

Verstappen could easily have given Perez 3 more points in Brazil (1 in the sprint & 2 in the main race) but he won the title several races ago. Surely the team should have given Perez better support after then & not just by asking the drivers to give each other places on the track. 1 driver is dominant in most teams, getting their preferred mechanics, race engineer & strategy which all make a difference.

Red Bull have quite clearly favoured 1 driver for many years, which is why Verstappen has had so many team mates who have done reasonably well with in Alpha Tauri/Toro Rosso. But once the driver's title has been decided, why continue to support the driver who has already won anyway?

I believe they would have won a load of support in Mexico if they had supported Perez better in front of his home fans.

• Like 6
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I agree with that. Ferrari could have asked Leclerc & Sainz to give Leclerc 3rd in Brazil & therefore 3 points extra but I guess they felt it more important to give Sainz the confidence from another podium.

Verstappen could easily have given Perez 3 more points in Brazil (1 in the sprint & 2 in the main race) but he won the title several races ago. Surely the team should have given Perez better support after then & not just by asking the drivers to give each other places on the track. 1 driver is dominant in most teams, getting their preferred mechanics, race engineer & strategy which all make a difference.

Red Bull have quite clearly favoured 1 driver for many years, which is why Verstappen has had so many team mates who have done reasonably well with in Alpha Tauri/Toro Rosso. But once the driver's title has been decided, why continue to support the driver who has already won anyway?

I believe they would have won a load of support in Mexico if they had supported Perez better in front of his home fans.

Or you know, the win at Silverstone...

Or the best pit strategy at Monaco.

Edited by OnTheBranchline
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Hroth said:

Looking forward to the elders drawing a line under all this angst in preparation for the 2023 season....

However, I suppose it lets all and sundry blow off steam until then!

You must be new to F1, it’s more political than secondary school.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Hold on I’ve just figured out why they have a break this time of year, it’s panto season! Max, Helmut and Christian will be busy playing the step sisters . . . 

But which one is which?

image.png.5d227dac3980975a11662256b6a87985.png

• Funny 5

Horner and Wolff were interviewed last year at the last race. Asked if they would be seeing each other over the festive period Wolff shrugged it off, but Horner said not unless Toto is in a pantomime and he would take his kids along to see it. Sums Horner up, pantomime villain. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, PeterStiles said:

Sorry to break the news to you, but you're posting on a Railway Modelling Forum; virtually *everyone* is younger than you...

And lets not get started on policemen....

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Patrick Tambay was a gentle man.

He drove Ferrari No 27 in 1982 a fateful year for Ferrari with the loss of the great Giles Villeneuve. Pironi and Tambay picked up the pieces and Peroni was championship favourite until his terrible crash at the German GP that year during parctice. Tambay, driving car 27, Villeneuve's race number, won the race the next day. A very emotional moment in motor racing history.

As Mr Ferrari said, I knew I had the best driver in the world with Giles, I did not know I had the next best driver in Pironi, only for this hope to be dashed. Ferrari probably had the best car in 1982 but events put paid to their championship bid.

Pironi recovered from his injuries only to loose his life in a racing speedboat crash some years later....

Kind regards,

Richard

PS - Ian, if any of the facts are wrong I am relying on you to correct me...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, 30368 said:

Patrick Tambay was a gentle man.

He drove Ferrari No 27 in 1982 a fateful year for Ferrari with the loss of the great Giles Villeneuve. Pironi and Tambay picked up the pieces and Peroni was championship favourite until his terrible crash at the German GP that year during parctice. Tambay, driving car 27, Villeneuve's race number, won the race the next day. A very emotional moment in motor racing history.

As Mr Ferrari said, I knew I had the best driver in the world with Giles, I did not know I had the next best driver in Pironi, only for this hope to be dashed. Ferrari probably had the best car in 1982 but events put paid to their championship bid.

Pironi recovered from his injuries only to loose his life in a racing speedboat crash some years later....

Kind regards,

Richard

PS - Ian, if any of the facts are wrong I am relying on you to correct me...

That and Tambay was sort of in contention in 1983 for a while. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, didcot said:

So no change 40 years later!

Well Didcot, a lot has changed since 1982 for Ferrari, including,  a few Championships if I recall correctly....

Agree though, things not managed well this year.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 1