Hornby 2022 - Steam range

AY Mod

It's rather baffling that the two or three year old terrier can be released in plain black for £20 more and the brand new 0-6-0 sentinel can be released for £10 less. Presumably a main reason for releasing a plain black model was for those of us who like to customise liveries, as with the Peckett. Why would anyone looking to repaint a terrier buy this over those already available at the retailers for as low as £75.  

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Black Hat said:

I didn't do badly in predicting the new Black 5, but notice the deft hand of Kohler in more Southern releases. To be honest its perfectly understandable given runs of other items that are still to be delivered and some of those mentioned above have not been done. Will the price make people pause, as I thought, then I think that is likely and could it be that some livery selections might make others hesitate. Braunton is an odd choice, given the rebuild runs on the mainline - I would have avoided that. 

However, what is clear is that Hornby are trying to go through all the big steam oddities, having found after the Duke that you can re-release an engine over and over again with minor differences or changes in livery. Following on from Duke, W1 in both forms now comes Turbomotive. Excellent for the collector and now the one for the Midland region. Should prove to be ok but how soon do you run out of options for this kind of thinking. The answer is not long... so how much more on that line of thought can be produced? Anyone fancy a Hornby Leader? 

Nothing new in Southern, though, just rehashes. You may be have been a bit slow on the uptake, but Southern hasn't been the fairy on top of Hornby's Christmas tree for several years now.

Are you suggesting Hornby should have dropped one of the Big Four companies/regions altogether for a year? Well, yes, on previous form you probably are. LNER next year? Yes, that sounds just as sensible commercially even if it wouldn't trouble me for a second.

Hornby can't do Braunton as a rebuilt without spending money as they've never tooled the type of tender it has always run with post-rebuilding and in preservation. If it's any consolation, I'm a Southern Region buyer, and I agree it's a poor choice. None of the warmed-over Bulleids holds any appeal for me and the only BR(s) item that does is the BR Crimson & Cream version of the Maunsell Dining saloon. 

BTW, somebody else (KR Models, I think) is doing the Leader.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Actually I’m quite pleased with Hornby’s  LMS this year, A LMS Back 5 on order and a TurboMotive will do nicely.

Just wondering though do I need to order some more scalpel blades for the TorboMotive Tender? As Hornby as a Habit of adding the ruddy steam coal pusher detail to the back of the Princess Royals tender backplates! 

I don't quite understand how the WC/BoB models are more expensive than the City of London one despite being much older tooling.

On a related note, are Hornby ever going to produce any more of the rebuilt Light Pacifics? I think the last time that model was in the catalogue was about five years ago, and they are very difficult to find second hand for anything less than £150. You very rarely find them on traders stalls at shows either.

• Agree 1

Love seeing the Coronation A4s making an appearance, just wish they'd correct the chrome beading on the tender so it's correctly in line with the locomotive. But I already have 3 LNER A4s so will probably go for the BR one instead.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Turbomotive and a Black 5….

There must have been at least a dozen + wishlisters (myself included) expecting these.

Very nice.

LMS Maroon for me.

Caprotti five is exclusive to the website ?

in a way i’m glad the steam range is moderated a bit, theres a lot from 2021/0 still outstanding. 

• Like 1

I like the look of the new Black Five, with its loco-to-tender close-coupling-kinetic connection. That is probably a first in British OO (but has been done in German HO). Hope it also has a close-coupler on the back of the tender. The steamer I not too sure about - I've never found steam on models to be very realistic.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, farren said:

Actually I’m quite pleased with Hornby’s  LMS this year, A LMS Back 5 on order and a TurboMotive will do nicely.

Just wondering though do I need to order some more scalpel blades for the TorboMotive Tender? As Hornby as a Habit of adding the ruddy steam coal pusher detail to the back of the Princess Royals tender backplates! 

Well probably not, since it seems to be the correct 9 ton tender with straight steps and roller bearing axle boxes from the photo

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nathan70000 said:

You're not the only one who has noticed, trust me.

For all those who dismiss any complaint about high prices as "moaning", we should remember that we are now entering a cost of living crisis. Discretionary spending such as model railways will be the first to go if people are struggling to keep up, and even comparatively small amounts of money can affect decision making. And the difference between 2019 Hornby prices and 2022 Hornby prices is not insignificant, things like the Light Pacifics have gone up by nearly £100.

I'm sure they'll sell Turbomotives, unique as they are, but I think a new Black 5 at that RRP is seriously risky. They've sweetened the deal considerably with sound and steam effects but I'm not sure it'll be enough to entice buyers when the "old" model can be had for £100 less on eBay. I had a similar debate about the 9F not so long ago.

I would also question whether some of those reliveries are wise. They're pushing their luck with all these W1s in the pipeline, I would be worried about a repeat of the Peckett situation on that one.

Your comment about a cost of living crisis is interesting. Do you honestly believe that model railways are exempt from the price increases that are going on worldwide?

I've just seen an interesting comment from Simon K where amongst other things he mentions the increases Hornby are facing. One that stood out was shipping. A year ago they were paying around £2500 per container. That is now £12500, a huge increase.

It makes me laugh when people seem to think their hobby is, or should be exempt from real world financial constraints.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Black Hat said:

I didn't do badly in predicting the new Black 5, but notice the deft hand of Kohler in more Southern releases. To be honest its perfectly understandable given runs of other items that are still to be delivered and some of those mentioned above have not been done. Will the price make people pause, as I thought, then I think that is likely and could it be that some livery selections might make others hesitate. Braunton is an odd choice, given the rebuild runs on the mainline - I would have avoided that. 

However, what is clear is that Hornby are trying to go through all the big steam oddities, having found after the Duke that you can re-release an engine over and over again with minor differences or changes in livery. Following on from Duke, W1 in both forms now comes Turbomotive. Excellent for the collector and now the one for the Midland region. Should prove to be ok but how soon do you run out of options for this kind of thinking. The answer is not long... so how much more on that line of thought can be produced? Anyone fancy a Hornby Leader? 

We need not worry.  According to my reckoning they now only have two pacifics left to do to complete a British set - one for me and one for you (but I do wish they would put real wheels on the rear carrying axle.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 minutes ago, Brocp said:

Well probably not, since it seems to be the correct 9 ton tender with straight steps and roller bearing axle boxes from the photo

On closer inspection (zooming in on my phone) it looks like the older tooling with the ledge, if this isn't just for the mock up, that's a big fail right there.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I could be interested in a new Black 5, but why once again has Hornby failed to describe adequately how some of the models will look? Will all three in BR livery be early emblem as shown in the photos, or will one feature the late crest? Will the tenders be rivetted? These things matter as it affects the locos you can renumber to.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

The BR class 2MT  2-6-0 announced 2 years ago seems to be missing, is it still on their list of models?

Found them on the Hornby website, over £200 for a small loco?

I can't recall what the pre order price was when I ordered mine form Hattons, the 2 MT is no longer showing on the Hattons website.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

We need not worry.  According to my reckoning they now only have two pacifics left to do to complete a British set - one for me and one for you (but I do wish they would put real wheels on the rear carrying axle.

Yeah but with Kohler on the tiller I don't think there's any worry of my Pacific ever being done... yours is more likely and covers the niche one of a type again... 

• Friendly/supportive 1

I do think the livery application of the 'Railway Children Return' 4F is odd.

Looks like they're recreating the temporary LMS 'stickers' that I'm guessing were only applied to the K&WVR's loco for the days of filming. Why not just make an accurate LMS livery without the look of the stickers?

image.png.d7442a517c6f9caa493a01533d639cd6.png  image.png.7aeb39c84511ac488a3ac9bfcadd3216.png  image.png.86509d1ef349a61ef5d373cc43013a07.png

Also, both the Hornby and RMWeb site seem to have coped much better with the traffic this year!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

I could be interested in a new Black 5, but why once again has Hornby failed to describe adequately how some of the models will look? Will all three in BR livery be early emblem as shown in the photos, or will one feature the late crest? Will the tenders be rivetted? These things matter as it affects the locos you can renumber to.

I agree.

Going on the product names as per the website, my understanding is - Era 4 (BR Early Emblem), Era 5 (BR Late Crest).

R30224 LMS, Stanier 5MT 'Black 5', 4-6-0, 5200 - Era 3

R30225SS BR, Stanier 5MT 'Black 5', 4-6-0, 44726 With Steam Generator - Era 5

R30226 BR, Stanier 5MT 'Black 5', 4-6-0, 45157 'Glasgow Highlander' - Era 5

R30227 BR, Stanier 5MT 'Black 5' Caprotti, 4-6-0, 44755 - Era 4 (Web Exclusive)

Hornby list their Era's as below.

3 Grouping 1923-1947

4 Early British Railways1948-1956

5 Late British Railways 1956-1968

I'm happy to be corrected if this in not the case.

Edited by AForce
Updated

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, AForce said:

I agree.

Going on the product names as per the website, my understanding is as follows - Era 4 (BR Early Emblem), Era 5 (BR Late Emblem).

R30224 LMS, Stanier 5MT 'Black 5', 4-6-0, 5200 - Era 3

R30225SS BR, Stanier 5MT 'Black 5', 4-6-0, 44726 With Steam Generator - Era 5

R30226 BR, Stanier 5MT 'Black 5', 4-6-0, 45157 'Glasgow Highlander' - Era 5

R30227 BR, Stanier 5MT 'Black 5' Caprotti, 4-6-0, 44755 - Era 4 (Web Exclusive)

I'm happy to be corrected if this in not the case.

Thanks, but Andy's original post states (as below) states 45157 will be "early BR crest" so Era 4 not Era 5. Andy's information will have come from Hornby so which is it...? Hornby really should do better.

The initial launch models will be of 5200 in LMS lined black livery, 45157 Glasgow Highlander in lined early BR crest (one of the few named),  44726 with steam generator and 44755 with Caprotti gear as a web exclusive.

37 minutes ago, HonestTom said:

I quite like the IWC train pack, even if it's not my area of interest. It's pretty left-field, but I could see it selling.

Yes me too, nice set. Would be nice to have the loco separately for those of use who prefer accurate trains but that seems to be the new way of doing things in packs, one really desirable piece and some less impressive complements. Still, nice to see some new uses of tooling and more obscure railways coming through. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Harlequin said:

Thankyou for ignoring the Great Western Railway again. Do you remember that company?

It's not exactly a range from which one could build up a balanced stud of motive power for the sort of railway most people have room to represent - not just GWR BLTs!

31 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

And what will they do then? Go round revisiting them all in new versions? (Again.) 

Excuse my jaundiced puritanical outlook.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Rob Haigh said:

I do think the livery application of the 'Railway Children Return' 4F is odd.

Looks like they're recreating the temporary LMS 'stickers' that I'm guessing were only applied to the K&WVR's loco for the days of filming. Why not just make an accurate LMS livery without the look of the stickers?

image.png.d7442a517c6f9caa493a01533d639cd6.png  image.png.7aeb39c84511ac488a3ac9bfcadd3216.png  image.png.86509d1ef349a61ef5d373cc43013a07.png

Also, both the Hornby and RMWeb site seem to have coped much better with the traffic this year!

I think it has to resemble the loco in the movie rather than be representative of an actual LMS loco . Imterestingly its Studiocanal theyve had to talk to about producing this loco , the same ones that do Titfield Thunderbolt . Difficult to believe that subject would not have come up in discussions . Could it be that they've received a nod and a wink Studiocanal will not interfere in the producing Titfield Thunderbolt?

• Like 1