Hornby 2022 - Steam range

AY Mod

On 11/01/2022 at 21:06, sandwich station said:

Pleased to see they are finally doing Queen Mary. This is the last of the original 5 (blue) to be modelled since scale length was introduced some 20 years ago.

I hope they’ll fix the “machine gun ports” and the way the stripes meet on the nose. I’m still looking for an improved blue one to haul my Coronation Scot.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Robin Brasher said:

I expect you will find that the improved blue version will not be capable of hauling your Coronation Scot if you have got a nine coach set. I wonder if the old tender drive Coronation has enough power to haul the train.

Not true.

Mine can haul the full sets perfectly well. They can also manage 14 coach trains partly made up with Comet kits at realistic speeds. If they couldn't they would be going back as that is what they are meant to do. The same goes for all the other big locos.

Maybe people with haulage problems should have a look at their track and what controller they are using as something is wrong. PECO Streamline and Gaugemaster if you are wondering.

The more people say they can't pull heavy trains it ends up being seen as fact. It's not.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 5
  • Agree 4

Thank you for the videos of the real and model Coronation Scots.  If you have a look at the LMS Coronation Scot topic you will see that I am not the only person who has had haulage problems with a Coronation locomotive. It looks like the problem lies with either the wiper blades supplying electricity to the lights or with the brake shoes rubbing against the wheels on the coaches. It is a fact that the maximum load for my Coronation is six Coronation Scot coaches on the Wimborne Railway Society's test track which has Peco track and Gaugemaster controls.  

• Like 1

On 10/01/2022 at 22:57, adb968008 said:

Wow hasnt this spot changed, Here is a frame taken from a video I made here last month…

B2FEA4AF-9D48-4E2F-B5A0-309A80E8E982.jpeg.a923eec50583a10c047c0dcd44363bda.jpeg

you can see why RHTTs werent needed daily in the 1980’s… and daily steam had already been gone a decade at this point too !

Im just gonna take your word for it that is the same location, looks totally different to me!

• Agree 1

Well after the disappointment of the modern image range i was hoping to find better things on the steam thread.... No such luck.

I got all excited when a friend told me on the phone that 34072 AND 34046 were being done.... and then i seen them, why do 34046 as an original version when as a rebuilt one it would appeal to not only steam era fans but modern image fans as well????? And why Malachite green on 34072, surely BR Green as preserved would have been a better bet? 

Add to this the lack of a rebuilt Merchant Navy, Battle of Britain, West Country or a Bulleid Q1 and no BR standards either and im afraid to say i'll be walking away empty handed and disappointed.

I also like collecting the little 0-4-0 Pecketts..... None of them listed either!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, GEARJAMMER said:

no BR standards either and im afraid to say i'll be walking away empty handed and disappointed.

Are you forgetting the 9F and 2MT? Still to arrive this year. 

Edited by Hilux5972
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

On 10/01/2022 at 17:06, Chuffed 1 said:

It seems to me that much of this offering is weighted towards the collector, rather than the operator.  Maybe that’s where the money is now.

Agree that types more useful to operators ought to be included, and that there does seem to be a cold shoulder to the Southern and the Western left for other manufacturers.

Wonder who will produce a Hawksworth County, a Maunsell W class or a new rebuilt Royal Scot?  Is there a recently-tooled Johnson 3F out there at the moment? Perhaps the H class 31278 with P-P and flat bunker?

We can but dream.

I've been waiting for a W for years.  I have the Golden Arrow body kit and a donor N, but haven't built it as the cylinders are a real problem.  The instructions suggest reshaping them or cutting and repositioning them, but there isn't enough meat to do the first option and the second would stop the valve gear working.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, daltonparva said:

Would the Turbomotive sound different to a normal Princess?

Yes totally different, I haven’t hard the real thing but on YouTube there’s a video of a gauge 1 live steam not a perfect match but you’ll get the idea. There’s no beat like a normal steam engine. More of a fan sound similar to a diesel in a way. The video is brilliant so you need to listen. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, farren said:

Yes totally different, I haven’t hard the real thing but on YouTube there’s a video of a gauge 1 live steam not a perfect match but you’ll get the idea. There’s no beat like a normal steam engine. More of a fan sound similar to a diesel in a way. The video is brilliant so you need to listen. 

"In some quarters the engine was named 'Gracie Fields' from the 'sing-as-we-go' hum from the gear train".  Stanier Pacifics at Work, A J Powell, 1986, Ian Allen p33.

Edited by Dick Turpin
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 16/01/2022 at 07:36, rogerzilla said:

I've been waiting for a W for years.  I have the Golden Arrow body kit and a donor N, but haven't built it as the cylinders are a real problem.  The instructions suggest reshaping them or cutting and repositioning them, but there isn't enough meat to do the first option and the second would stop the valve gear working.

I have done the first option for both a W and converting an N to an N1 and once cut you can fill the cylinder with Miliput filler, drill a new piston rod hole and reshape the top. 
Simples...

The N1 

0B364CEA-CCD1-46FD-A311-E71EE16A13D4.jpeg.0299e46a8efc9e8759d6566a09d4e56b.jpeg16A27B1D-3E01-43A4-A3B3-AA5304246C23.jpeg.0a4258e2247ecbe9463498ed1caf6bb7.jpeg

And the W 

7AFC964E-70AE-4BCC-B072-06129DC279CD.jpeg.2fcd8e8fb63758bb158417d4a7a4bc20.jpeg

Don't hold your breath for an RTR W 

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 11

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Some crowd pleasers, but, thankfully, nothing to trouble my wallet.  Rails/Bachmann, TMC/Bachmann, Rails/Heljan have been, and continue to be, more relevant to my interests.  Phew!

Lucky you! I have also (several) A5's, G5's, Autocars and Genesis-coaches on order, but they can't pull the Coronation now, can they? So, enter CoA. You could of course argue that some of my other A4's could do the trick, but I choose to ignore that argument! :sungum:

19 minutes ago, Johan DC said:

Lucky you! I have also (several) A5's, G5's, Autocars and Genesis-coaches on order, but they can't pull the Coronation now, can they? So, enter CoA. You could of course argue that some of my other A4's could do the trick, but I choose to ignore that argument! :sungum:

I think the Coronation Scot set will be fantastic. I'd love one,,but it's just too far from any project present or future. I wouldn't even have the shelf space!  I'm just glad that, at least this year, Hornby has done nothing to increase my pre-order committments!

• Like 1

Out of the innumerable "Hornby 2022" threads, I've chosen this one, more or less at random, to say that I find these less than helpful in attracting my interest as I know the vast majority of the products & discussion will be irrelevant to my layout ambitions ........ can we have specific threads on specific products, PLEASE !!?!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Wickham Green too said:

Out of the innumerable "Hornby 2022" threads, I've chosen this one, more or less at random, to say that I find these less than helpful in attracting my interest as I know the vast majority of the products & discussion will be irrelevant to my layout ambitions ........ can we have specific threads on specific products, PLEASE !!?!

You can make one. There are already on the Black 5 and 4-VEP. What is your interest? 

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

If you go to Forum Index and click on Hornby, there's a whole list of sub-forums on the 2022 ranges; e.g., coaching stock, diesel/electric, and several individual things, too, like the Black Fives.

John