RMweb

Hornby 2022 - Sound & Steam

AY Mod

This atomising tech has been around for decades in water features, and has just been waiting for miniaturisation to be able to get it into small locos. The clever bit is getting the sound element to trigger the smoke in chuffs correctly.

Not sure the couple of drops of water (ref Legionnaires etc) is accurate as these things will blow ‘smoke’ for 20 minutes on a top up.

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Johan DC said:

Sorry David, the Germans are there already. 😉

I think I'll pre-order the P2 with steam, still doubting because it's TTS. 

https://www.maerklin.de/en/products/details/article/36433

I did say RTR, I should have also said U.K. Diesels…..I knew about the Maerklin stuff (I use Trix track and drool over some of the European locos when I browse the catalogues).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, RAF96 said:

This atomising tech has been around for decades in water features, and has just been waiting for miniaturisation to be able to get it into small locos. The clever bit is getting the sound element to trigger the smoke in chuffs correctly.

Not sure the couple of drops of water (ref Legionnaires etc) is accurate as these things will blow ‘smoke’ for 20 minutes on a top up.

We were bought a present of a water vapour smelly thingy, load it with maybe 50ml of water and a few drops of smelly oil and it churns out wisps of vapour for hours, in fact there is a 2 and 4 hour timer on it!

• RMweb Gold

I think it doesnt look bad.

The TRS videos of the Duchess converted last year were very cool to.

Next up would be lifting the safety valves.

ive seen those model BR50’s in Germany at an exhibition, and it was very convincing, especially if you knelt down closer to track level.

A self fit kit would be very appealing, and no doubt come to market at somepoint, just as Suethe is today, but I can see a rtr market for this too.

its a USP that has legs imo.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I think it doesnt look bad.

The TRS videos of the Duchess converted last year were very cool to.

Next up would be lifting the safety valves.

ive seen those model BR50’s in Germany at an exhibition, and it was very convincing, especially if you knelt down closer to track level.

A self fit kit would be very appealing, and no doubt come to market at somepoint, just as Suethe is today, but I can see a rtr market for this too.

its a USP that has legs imo.

The TRS versions are definitely better but that of course comes at a price. The more space these gubbins require the less weight available for adhesion too so I do hope we dont end up with models having voids where the tank needs to fit . Still think its a dead end myself but as I said earlier, each to their own :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

To each their own, if people like these features then go for it but I find them unconvincing. I have seen a couple of HO diesels with exhaust effect and the effect didn't impress me. I found it less impressive than sound, and I am not an enthusiast of sound either.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jjb1970 said:

To each their own, if people like these features then go for it but I find them unconvincing. I have seen a couple of HO diesels with exhaust effect and the effect didn't impress me. I found it less impressive than sound, and I am not an enthusiast of sound either.

I know what you’re lacking………..imagination 😆

Obviously nothing is going to be a true representation of the prototype, even having a 1/72nd model of a steam Loco purring around using electricity is ultimately unconvincing.

What you need is the chuffing sound you make as the loco goes round and round and for added realism, an uncle who could be relied on to blow his ciggie smoke over the loco...

Not that the ciggies did my uncle any favours.  :-(

• RMweb Gold

Fwiw I bought a few of these atomisers off ebay, they only cost a couple of quid.

I found its not about covering the plate in water, but putting the plate on a wet sponge achieved the best effect.. it went forever.

My playing around saw me drill out a Deltic exhaust, add some blackcurrant dye to the water and watch dark grey smoke funnel out of the exhaust. I put a bit of silver foil to funnel from the plate to the exhaust (as otherwise it went all through the interior).

I was able to give some measure of control by increasing / reducing voltage, but then it gets complicated… i’d need on / off, restricting throttle etc which isnt so easy out of the box without tech.

it was a however a fun week doing / learning this, but overall the learning was the technology isnt about making steam from water, its about timing & controlling that exhaust.. thats where the big money is.

But no doubting it is cool, and simple as a drop of water, if the tech automates the timing and control of the rest, it should take all the hard work, so on DCC it should just start working, in sync to existing commands as soon as the power is on… its much easier than sound to manage imo, assuming theyve done the technical magic to do so.

Hence I think its quite an exciting opportunity for realism, for minimal effort, and should in theory be better than Seuthe. However for diesels there isnt many that suit this (cold starts, poor runners etc), but steam with synced sound is quite something when you see it).

As for the ebay ones, very good for factory chimneys, coach steam heat leaks etc

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, BomberCountyModels617 said:

I have a flying scotsman model done direct by TRS and the difference is huge.  Hornby have got a long way to go before they get close to being on par with how he does it

That may be your opinion, it's not a fact. Anyway, I would disagree.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Obviously nothing is going to be a true representation of the prototype, even having a 1/72nd model of a steam Loco purring around using electricity is ultimately unconvincing.

1/72nd.......

19.93mm gauge?

😀

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Well in that case a 1/76 scale electric steam loco must be more convincing. 

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, AY Mod said:

That may be your opinion, it's not a fact. Anyway, I would disagree.

I agree, the smoke that was shown during the Hornby series being developed really looked almost the same, it’s the first time I have been excited about getting a steam Loco for years.  Although I am waiting for the production example before committing the funds.

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, BomberCountyModels617 said:

I have a flying scotsman model done direct by TRS and the difference is huge.  Hornby have got a long way to go before they get close to being on par with how he does it

Maybe wait till the Hornby production ones are there? I don't see much difference myself.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 31/10/2022 at 11:50, MikeParkin65 said:

A lot of initial sales to those attracted by the novelty but I dont think it has a long term future.

How many years has Seuthe been in the market ?… 1959.

And Ive a bottle of Triang Smoke Oil somewhere.

it is a reinvention, but its not new.

However undeniably the desire for it has existed for at least 7 decades, I know the vatican works in centuries, beyond that I cannot think of many other industries that considers 7 decades as short term.

Yes its a gimmick, but so is every single model made by any manufacturer in the hobby.. the whole industry is built on fashion.

Given where we are, to me the next logical step is to stop pretending and replace the motor with a boiler and go live steam again, i’m sure it could be reinvented with newer tech a second time around, but thats not for this economy or this topic.

Edited by adb968008

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

Given where we are, to me the next logical step is to stop pretending and replace the motor with a boiler and go live steam again, i’m sure it could be reinvented with newer tech a second time around, but thats not for this economy or this topic.

Hornby have had two stabs at that already, the 3.5" gauge Rocket and the OO gauge Gresley Pacifics.

3rd time lucky?

• Agree 1