Hornby 2022 - Sound & Steam

AY Mod

...not sure how sensible this share is as it might give Hornby some ideas...

Steam Punk          tick

Smoke effect        tick

Firebox glow         tick

Sound effects        tick

...and more flames than an out of control e-cigarette.

• Round of applause 3
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, rogerzilla said:

Isn't there a risk of legionnaires' disease if water is left sitting in these? 

Nope. It's a couple of drops it'll dry out quickly. You have worse on your kitchen draining board.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, rogerzilla said:

Isn't there a risk of legionnaires' disease if water is left sitting in these? 

If there is it’s going to be a real issue in a few years time for all the hundreds/thousands of humidifier manufacturers.

Let alone the smelly room thingy-me-bobs in use in so many homes.

Edited by boxbrownie

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

Airfix used to make an OO scale pack of plastic Legionnaires….;)

And I still have some in the loft……not sure they like sharing with the Roman Legions though, a bit confusing for them :D

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

On 10/01/2022 at 13:53, Hroth said:

Given what Hornby want for the Flying Scotsman (Tm, etc) the Black 5 is a bit of a bargain*.  I'm tempted, and it would be my only pre-order this year, but I'm put off by worrying how far the "December 2022" date will slip, and how much the price will increase between now and eventual delivery.

* Relatively speaking. I mean, £250 for a 4-6-0, even with sound and steam effect...

I agree Hroth. Especially when compared to the standard DCC Ready option. I have pre-ordered one, so should there be a price increase between now and delivery, Hornby's usual m.o. is to honour the price at time of ordering. Given that 2020 announcements are still a year from delivery,  I take the predictions on delivery for the latest releases with an amount of salt that Lot would find impressive. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

I always thought the KM1 steam effects, were a decent attempt.

A lot more space to do this in gauge 1 though.

I almost wish we hadn’t sold all our LGB stuff about ten years ago now, looking at advances in sound and steam coming it would have given them a new lease of life, then again I did keep two starter sets, just in case :D

• RMweb Premium

Just found some videos online of the Roco smoke, it’s definitely oil based and has that “stringy” effect which just doesn’t look right to me, also I noticed they have tried to get it chuffing but the sync is completely wrong.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• AY Mod unpinned this topic
  • 5 months later...

Hornby had a demonstration of their steam generator fitted loco at Gaydon over the weekend.  To my, admittedly untrained, eye it looks like they have done a lot of work to synch sound and steam puffs with the motion. Of course in model form it will always be difficult to really emulate steam to match a real loco but I was impressed with what they have achieved

• Informative/Useful 2

22 minutes ago, 5Dublo2 said:

it looks like they have done a lot of work to synch sound and steam puffs with the motion. Of course in model form it will always be difficult to really emulate steam to match a real loco but I was impressed with what they have achieved

I think you'll find Hornby is paying the designer and patent holder for the use of the technology.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Are you at liberty to tell us who that is?

I believe although cannot remember the name right now*, there are quite a few videos of the water vapour smoke system on YouTube/online made by individuals in the U.K., but I found this with a couple of clicks…hmm

* it was at Bournemouth West layout and the club I believe.

https://patents.google.com/patent/DE202005005647U1/en

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, HExpressD said:

Reading the table there, is the patent not expired? I may be reading it wrong

I don’t know, as I said just found it very quickly.

Annoyingly our DiL was here this week I could have asked her to peruse the document she is a corporate IP lawyer, and she spent most of the week working in my study while we did the baby sitting! 🤣

Edited by boxbrownie

I had a look at the chuffing Scotsman at the weekend, and admit, I was impressed. The "smoke" looks good and should be enhanced when the axle sychronisation (under development I'm told) is added.

Sadly, my video is a bit rubbish as I'd only taken the Osmo, and was in a rush to shoot as much on the stand as possible so didn't have time to devote to it. However, take a look anyway.

My feeling is that smoke will provide a reason for people to upgrade their models, look out for a lot of second-hand Scotsman's on eBay in a year or so. It could also help diferentiate between to identical products. Bachmann or Hornby 9F? There's very little in it, but if one of them makes smoke, and that could tip the balance...

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

I had a look at the chuffing Scotsman at the weekend, and admit, I was impressed. The "smoke" looks good and should be enhanced when the axle sychronisation (under development I'm told) is added.

Sadly, my video is a bit rubbish as I'd only taken the Osmo, and was in a rush to shoot as much on the stand as possible so didn't have time to devote to it. However, take a look anyway.

My feeling is that smoke will provide a reason for people to upgrade their models, look out for a lot of second-hand Scotsman's on eBay in a year or so. It could also help diferentiate between to identical products. Bachmann or Hornby 9F? There's very little in it, but if one of them makes smoke, and that could tip the balance...

Each to their own of course but I honestly can't see this leading to a rush of 'upgrade' new sales. Doesnt look at all like the steam emitted from a real steam loco (and how could it?)  and therefore likely to be very 'marmite' to the market (as is DCC Sound). A lot of initial sales to those attracted by the novelty but I dont think it has a long term future.

For me what it most evokes most is 'Michael Bentines Potty Time'! 

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Each to their own of course but I honestly can't see this leading to a rush of 'upgrade' new sales. Doesnt look at all like the steam emitted from a real steam loco (and how could it?)  and therefore likely to be very 'marmite' to the market (as is DCC Sound). A lot of initial sales to those attracted by the novelty but I dont think it has a long term future.

For me what it most evokes most is 'Michael Bentines Potty Time'! 

Not sure I agree with the “I don’t think it has a long term future” as you say it might be a marmite feature like sound for some but sound isn’t going to fade (pardon the pun) away anytime soon, in fact it’s getting better and better, and if this steam feature gets developed further it’ll be in diesels next (I mean RTR).

• Agree 2