Youtube Rapido Announcement 07.30 - The Cat is Amongst the Pigeons

Garethp8873

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Dungrange said:

Why does it matter what time something is announced or who announces something first if there is possible duplication?  Surely what matters is when a model is delivered or in the case of two models being delivered at about the same time, which gets the better reviews.

Stop being so sensible. I think that it is very public spirited that Rapido will be helping to keep the pressure off Hornbys website. Now it might not even crash until 10.15

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

11 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

But it does leave one wondering why Hornby have suddenly broken their own embargo to come out with a You Tube item at 07.00 doesn't it?

To take the pressure off the Hornby website.  If they were making the announcement at 10:00 am then, like many others, I'd be tempted to log on at 10:05am out of curiosity.  But if they are making an announcement at 07:00 am, then sod it, I'll stay in bed and check at 09:00 am and those who don't know that the announcement time has changed can still log in after 10:00 am, thus spreading the load.

I'll probably not look at either the Hornby or Rapido videos, but instead wait for @AY Mod to post two threads on RMWeb and I'll read whichever one looks most interesting.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

'cat among the pigeons' implies a single animal (the cat) among lots of birds (the pigeons): but the cat is bigger that the pigeons.  Perhaps its just a single product announcement from Rapido (the cat) among much more numerous but less special announcements from Hornby (the pigeons).

The actual announcement from Rapido could have absolutely nothing to do with either cats or pigeons!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

If Hornby have brought their announcement forward from 10am to 7am and Rapido have announced their announcement to be at 07:30am, this makes me think that Rapido will be producing a duplicate of a significant Hornby product. Alongside this three more HST Power Cars (all ex FGW) are going to be taken for scrap on Monday from Long Marston to Newport. Surely it can't be a coincidence that Hornby are likely to be announcing more HSTs on Monday as a part of their 2022 range, three HST Power Cars are off to be scrapped and Rapido have chosen the same day to make their announcement?

With all of this in mind I predict that the Rapido announcement will be a new Class 43 Power Car range in OO Gauge/4mm possibly with a range of new OO/4mm MK3 Coaches. Of course I could be completley wrong, but all of this happening on Monday in just one day seems to be a bit of a coincidence to me. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• Like 2

Look to the intent of the phrase "a cat among the "pigeons"

Quote:  "The phrase “cat among the pigeons” is an idiom that usually includes "putting" or "setting" the cat there. It is used to refer to someone who takes some type of action, usually intentionally, that causes a disturbance. ... The cat would chase the birds, and the birds would become frightened."

No doubt Rapido are having a bit of fun with the Hornby release,  but also might be taking a little shine off anything that Hornby announces (it is called deflection).  Hornby of late have been foremost in taking the shine off others' announcements so possibly nothing more than a little taste of their own medicine.

Another interpretation of the phrase is

Quote:  "What does it mean put the cat among the pigeons?

phrase. If you put the cat among the pigeons or set the cat among the pigeons, you cause fierce argument or discussion by doing or saying something. [British]"

This interpretation seems very heavy handed and not the usual jovial manner of the Rapido staff.   Rapido are simply having fun with Hornby,  perhaps a case of "one upmanship"  which is something that one normally associates with the Hornby brand.

Edited by GWR-fan
Additional information
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Don't forget that a lion is a cat - or maybe in this case  'the cat'.  So at 07.30 pus a minute or three we might be able to see a the  lion moving (with or without surrounding pigeons) while sat 07.00 plus goodness only knows how many minutes the Totfield Firebolt will be announced amid vibrant Hornbyesque fanfares to a wholly expectant audience.   A case perhaps of he whose Lion moves first makes the noise that really counts..

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

Look to the intent of the phrase "a cat among the "pigeons"

Quote:  "The phrase “cat among the pigeons” is an idiom that usually includes "putting" or "setting" the cat there. It is used to refer to someone who takes some type of action, usually intentionally, that causes a disturbance. ... The cat would chase the birds, and the birds would become frightened."

No doubt Rapido are having a bit of fun with the Hornby release,  but also might be taking a little shine off anything that Hornby announces (it is called deflection).  Hornby of late have been foremost in taking the shine off others' announcements so possibly nothing more than a little taste of their own medicine.

Another interpretation of the phrase is

Quote:  "What does it mean put the cat among the pigeons?

phrase. If you put the cat among the pigeons or set the cat among the pigeons, you cause fierce argument or discussion by doing or saying something. [British]"

This interpretation seems very heavy handed and not the usual jovial manner of the Rapido staff.   Rapido are simply having fun with Hornby,  perhaps a case of "one upmanship"  which is something that one normally associates with the Hornby brand.

The other option is that someone in Rapido is a big Ted Rogers and 3 2 1 fan, so the announcement will have absolutely nothing to do with cats or pigeons?

Mike.

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

George Costanza : I think I can sum up the thread for you in one word. Nothing.

Russell Dalrymple : Nothing?

George Costanza : Nothing.

Russell Dalrymple : What does that mean?

George Costanza : The thread is about... nothing!

Jerry Seinfeld : Well, it's not about nothing.

George Costanza : No, it's about nothing.

Edited by bingley hall
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Maybe we are overthinking this....

Jason does like to have a bit of fun and that is instilled in the way the business operates.

It's possible of course that there is no duplication, just Rapido punching above their weight and getting everyone to talk about....... Rapido :-)

Maybe the announcement is that SK is now working for Rapido :D

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

If Hornby have brought their announcement forward from 10am to 7am and Rapido have announced their announcement to be at 07:30am, this makes me think that Rapido will be producing a duplicate of a significant Hornby product. Alongside this three more HST Power Cars (all ex FGW) are going to be taken for scrap on Monday from Long Marston to Newport. Surely it can't be a coincidence that Hornby are likely to be announcing more HSTs on Monday as a part of their 2022 range, three HST Power Cars are off to be scrapped and Rapido have chosen the same day to make their announcement?

With all of this in mind I predict that the Rapido announcement will be a new Class 43 Power Car range in OO Gauge/4mm possibly with a range of new OO/4mm MK3 Coaches. Of course I could be completley wrong, but all of this happening on Monday in just one day seems to be a bit of a coincidence to me. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

Though I suspect that Hornby's announcement date (and possibly Rapido's, too) would have been decided long before the scrap move was scheduled.

The precise timing has clearly been tweaked, though.:)

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Lee-H said:

Whatever Hornby announce I won’t be holding my breath. No doubt it will be 2023 or later before anything is delivered. And as for Bachmann………

Is that the same Bachmann that have been announcing new stuff every three months for the last two years and generally delivering it within a three month window?  But hey, why let facts ruing a good jibe!

• Like 2
  • Agree 9

If there is a duplication of the HST, I'm hoping that Rapido will announce the HST prototype with power cars and full range of coaches as well. Unlikely that Hornby would go for a prototype, they haven't got the vision to see that it could be a winner. This would restart a proposal that Rapido and Locomotion had a couple of years ago, to do the prototype power cars.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Before the stock market opens? Perhaps Rapido are 

1. Announcing a hostile takeover of Hornby, or

2. Mr Kohler is joining Rapido.

Either way. Am loving the way Rapido are twisting the knife and giving Hornby a taste of their own medicine. Perhaps Rails will have a surprise spoiler after the disgraceful treatment they received with their Terrier.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

9 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Don't forget that a lion is a cat - or maybe in this case  'the cat'.  So at 07.30 pus a minute or three we might be able to see a the  lion moving (with or without surrounding pigeons) while sat 07.00 plus goodness only knows how many minutes the Totfield Firebolt will be announced amid vibrant Hornbyesque fanfares to a wholly expectant audience.   A case perhaps of he whose Lion moves first makes the noise that really counts..

That makes a lot more sense than announcing another Class 68. :jester:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

it can be a coincidence. It probably is.   https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/patternicity-finding-meaningful-patterns/  Not that I am saying that Hornbys product announcments  are meaningless noise... That is just a coincidence

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

No one else think the politics of the playground have just entered model railways ?  

For Rapido I think this is tantamount to a declaration of war . A bit juvenile, though 

For Hornby . How undignified . Are you really so unsure of your offering that you are resorting to desperate measures . As I’ve said on the Hornby thread this company is but a shadow of its former self . 

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

They are the Hollow Men.  Serves them right for not naming one of the Brits T.S. Eliot.  (Yes I know this makes no sense whatsoever)

Edited by Downer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Legend said:

No one else think the politics of the playground have just entered model railways ?  

It’s been present since model railways had a presence on the internet! Prior to this I think only those ‘in the trade’ got to see the true shenanigans that went on behind the scenes :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Legend said:

For Rapido I think this is tantamount to a declaration of war . A bit juvenile, though 

For Hornby . How undignified . Are you really so unsure of your offering that you are resorting to desperate measures . As I’ve said on the Hornby thread this company is but a shadow of its former self . 

1. That happened a fair while ago . "T*rr**r". "G*n***c coaches, Cl*** 91. Common (f)actor?

2. Rapido have always rejoiced in a bit of mischief and, as one of the (relatively) new kids on the block, it's reasonable to expect them to take any available opportunity to get noticed.

3. Hornby: elder but not elder statesman. They still do some things well and many more just "differently" than in the past, but any idea of them remaining serenely aloof disappeared with 1. above.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

It’s been present since model railways had a presence on the internet! Prior to this I think only those ‘in the trade’ got to see the true shenanigans that went on behind the scenes :)

I always thought it was very gentlemanly , like an old club in Mayfair where the great and mighty of the industry got together and decided what crumbs to give us plebs 

• Like 1
  • Funny 2