Youtube Rapido Announcement 07.30 - The Cat is Amongst the Pigeons

Garethp8873

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Legend said:

No one else think the politics of the playground have just entered model railways ?  

For Rapido I think this is tantamount to a declaration of war . A bit juvenile, though 

For Hornby . How undignified . Are you really so unsure of your offering that you are resorting to desperate measures . As I’ve said on the Hornby thread this company is but a shadow of its former self . 

Wah! Not Fair! Hornby started it!

:laugh:

• Funny 3

2 hours ago, romley midland said:

Is that the same Bachmann that have been announcing new stuff every three months for the last two years and generally delivering it within a three month window?  But hey, why let facts ruing a good jibe!

Remind me, how many years did it take for the Birdcage coaches to appear? And the Class 90?

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Lee-H said:

Remind me, how many years did it take for the Birdcage coaches to appear? And the Class 90?

Yes, but their new policy is exactly as the other poster stated, and all new models announced since adopting it, have either met it or got very close.

Looks to me like their former footwear is now on Hornby's foot, and that seems unlikely to change without the latter changing the spacing of their announcements.

John 

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 4

10 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Don't forget that a lion is a cat - or maybe in this case  'the cat'.  So at 07.30 pus a minute or three we might be able to see a the  lion moving (with or without surrounding pigeons) while sat 07.00 plus goodness only knows how many minutes the Totfield Firebolt will be announced amid vibrant Hornbyesque fanfares to a wholly expectant audience.   A case perhaps of he whose Lion moves first makes the noise that really counts..

If they announce a model of a reposing lion in a suitable scale, I'll order four as I've always fancied a model of the Britannia Bridge before the fire, but I can't find any ceramic cats the right size.  I suppose something to do with the Tatfield Thunderbox sounds more likely

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Legend said:

No one else think the politics of the playground have just entered model railways ?  

For Rapido I think this is tantamount to a declaration of war . A bit juvenile, though 

For Hornby . How undignified . Are you really so unsure of your offering that you are resorting to desperate measures . As I’ve said on the Hornby thread this company is but a shadow of its former self . 

Don't forget that at Hornby it's all about detail.  Iif what was said on our tv receivers umpteen times in the recently broadcast 'Hornby Show' was correct then Hornby's selection and advertising of an 07.00 You Tube 'whatever it will be' is an important matter of detail as far as they are concerned.  Strangely however it appears that the previously important detail of an embargo until 10.00 on news of their 2022 range is no longer a detail which matters to them.   And the fact that Hornby no longer seem as concerned as they claim with 'detail'  suggests a measure of desperation rather than a logical wish to convey information to  customers.

As far as Rapido are concerned it's obvious from long term reading of their newsletters, their method of announcing the 'Titfield Thunderbolt' range, the packages arriving before Christmas, and the item which heads this thread, that they like to inject a bit of fun and humour into the way they approach their customers.  Hardly I think a declaration of war but the whole thing is a bit of amusement for us and an opportunity for us to spend even more time trashing our tryping finger and shortening the life of our 'puter keyboard (I understand that other electronic devices are available).

And for the record (as if it matters?) as it does not involve the promise of either a full English breakfast (no baked beans please), or an outing for luncheon in such faraway places as Stoke Gifford, I have no intention of rising from my bed on Monday before the appointed time of c.09.00 when the domestic authority  delivers my morning cuppa and its accompanying Digestive biscuit (no other biscuits are normally available).  If folk wanna get up to push buttons at a time which doesn't suit my circadian rhythm that's up to them, I'll help overload Rapido's item at a more civilised hour. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, kernowtim said:

Either going to be Titfield Thunderbolt and Train in O gauge, or 'Gladstone' from Oh Mr Porter! 

Gladstone, yes please. Not a wish list as such but it has a very strong SLS connection, we preserverd it!

We did enquire a year or two back about commissioning a run; however, before even getting into detail the first tentative quote of a global cost was more than our available £ reserves.

• Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

Perhaps Accurascale will sneak in and make an announcement at 06:58 with some or all of the 22 in the pipeline?

THIS I would LOVE to see! 

I'm not anti-Hornby, I just want to see others do well.....by taking advantage of Hornby failings, that are nuggets of opportunity to build up their own position in the marketplace. 

Shed. 

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, romley midland said:

Is that the same Bachmann that have been announcing new stuff every three months for the last two years and generally delivering it within a three month window?  But hey, why let facts ruing a good jibe!

That's only because they don't announce new products until they're virtually on the boat being delivered, there's no evidence the actual development process is any quicker.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Legend said:

Unfortunately that ship sailed a while ago, with football-supporter-style partisanship about railway companies which ceased to exist decades before the  writer was born, and purile “witticisms” such as “kettle”.

RT

Edited by RichardT
Missing words
  • Agree 2

50 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

If they announce a model of a reposing lion in a suitable scale, I'll order four as I've always fancied a model of the Britannia Bridge before the fire, but I can't find any ceramic cats the right size.  I suppose something to do with the Tatfield Thunderbox sounds more likely

Four fat lions
Without any hair
Two on this side
And two over there

Don't forget Lord Nelson. Most people don't realise there's a statue of Nelson that is more impressive than the one in London.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

35 minutes ago, john new said:

Gladstone, yes please. Not a wish list as such but it has a very strong SLS connection, we preserverd it!

We did enquire a year or two back about commissioning a run; however, before even getting into detail the first tentative quote of a global cost was more than our available £ reserves.

Wrong Gladstone.

I think he means this one, which ISTR was due to be preserved but broken up "for the war effort". 

spacer.png

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

16 hours ago, Garethp8873 said:

Just seen this on Rapido Train's UK page... anyone else seen this?

270799709_1003867613536543_5615237253380765011_n.jpg

My bet is on a new oo scale hst and mk3 coaches.

The "cat is among the pigeons" statement is probably in response to the "cat is out of the bag" announcement that Hornby made when they announced their intentions to produce Lion

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Shedmaster said:

THIS I would LOVE to see! 

I'm not anti-Hornby, I just want to see others do well.....by taking advantage of Hornby failings, that are nuggets of opportunity to build up their own position in the marketplace. 

Shed. 

And, of course, there are other toes Rapido could potentially tread on than ones clad in red socks....

John

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Nah - none at all.   Just a bit of thought about some possible wider implications of a potential Hornby announcement.  But on the other hand Rapido always like to have a bit of fun when announcing announcements so it might be no more that that?  But it does leave one wondering why Hornby have suddenly broken their own embargo to come out with a You Tube item at 07.00 doesn't it?

They have a new TV series to produce material for.......

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Shedmaster said:

Well, THAT'S the where the all new HST is coming from then, nobody saw that coming did they? 

That's my guess anyway.... 

Shed. 

That makes a lot of sense given on the TV programme, Simon Kohler said a competitor was looking to model it too so Hornby was upgrading its own model in response.

Does'nt matter if Rapido's announcement is 30 minutes later.

Their announcement is that the cat [ Rapido's Lion ] is out of the box and arrive's here in a few days time,

so the cat [Lion] is under the pigeons [ Hornby] :jester:

So Hornby is beaten by Rapido then in 30 minutes time