RMweb

DEMU Showcase 2022 - New Venue - New Date

lyneux

• RMweb Gold

Superb show! Nothing to do with the fact that it’s the first since 2019…

Great catching up with so many modelling friends old and new. I needed a few days, it’s been so long after the issues over the last few years.

A big thanks to all the DEMU team for putting the show together at the new venue, which I prefer over the old one.

Quality layouts everyone, especially Oak Road, Euxton Junction and Melangoose. 

Great support from manufacturers and traders, the wallets feeling battered now. 

Looking forward to next years. 

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Crantock said:

A good show and a useful venue but I am not sure if there is room for expansion.  I appreciated Clackmannan and Wellpark. Both Clack and the S4 display of wagons were detail excellence.

Some building layout foibles, the stage didn’t work, the stairs to it are iffy and would be better to have had a gangway in front of it.  The toilets were well hidden.

The trade was good but one thong I don’t get is that no one sells paint at exhibitions any more. Any idea why?

Hi

Ah The Gents.....When we arrived they were not hidden, until Heljan arrived with their banner, blocking the view of the Gentlemen's Toilet.

Next year we will relocate Ben and his stand.

Sadly the other set of Gents was unavailable to the show as they fell into the boundary of the COVID vaccination service being held in the other end of the building. Next year hopefully for everyone, no matter where they live, we will no longer need vaccination centers as need decreases and more GPs can undertake this role. 

Clive

DEMU committee

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

15 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Sadly the other set of Gents was unavailable to the show as they fell into the boundary of the COVID vaccination service being held in the other end of the building.

So, does that mean there is more space available to grow the show should all other factors allow for that?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, LNERandBR said:

So, does that mean there is more space available to grow the show should all other factors allow for that?

There may be more space available, but that equals more cost to put the exhibition on, which means higher admission fee

Eltel 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, LNERandBR said:

Hi Stephen

I am sure it will be considered as next year is planned, if the town hall offer us the space. We could still be in the same situation. Only time will tell.

Clive

DEMU committee

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I thought the venue was good (big thanks to the Town Hall staff), many of the visitors seemed to have enjoyed the show, the layouts were excellent (big thanks to the exhibitors), most the traders seemed happy at the end of the show and there were smiles on the faces of the organising team.

I enjoyed the weekend after many Zoom meetings planning the show.

Thank you to all that made it a great weekend.

Clive

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Well, Euxton Junction is back home in the Club House at Preston after a great weekend. It was really busy on Saturday especially and the layout seemed to go down well.

Many thanks to Guy and all the team of volunteers who work really hard to make Showcase a unique show to attend. We were made to feel very welcome and it is the only show that we are happy to attend with no barriers, even though we have have lots of catenary and phone masts near the edge.

The Town Hall staff also worked hard and the food was good.

We felt that the venue had the same sort of vibe as the Town Hall at Burton which was nice.

I am looking forward to attending next year either as an Exhibitor or as a punter.

Cheers

Jeremy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Having been part of a show organising team, I know how hard it is to get everything together and Guy and the rest of the DEMU team get a huge round of applause from the Oak Road crew. It was a bit warm in our hall, particularly on Saturday, when it was absolutely heaving and most of the public were stood in front of the fan! 

it was an honour to be among so many superb layouts.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Ah The Gents.....When we arrived they were not hidden, until Heljan arrived with their banner, blocking the view of the Gentlemen's Toilet.

Next year we will relocate Ben and his stand.

To the other side of the toilet door?

Mike.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

To all the organizers a great event and it looks like you’ve found a great venue. 

I was helped in by town hall staff on Saturday morning when I arrived with the layout. 

Great to meet everyone again and catch up.

Best layouts there in my eyes after my own of course was Wellpark followed closely by Mellingoose. To be honest though all the layouts were great and great to see. 

Well done again all the DEMU folk who put the show on. 

Thanks to Cath and Dave (Booklaw)

for the supply of teas and manning the layout so I could have five. 

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Bungus the Fogeyman said:

For those who don't believe Steves comment above (about manning the layout so that he could have five), I believe there is pictorial evidence!!

Disgusting of Market Harborough

And apparantly you didn't get confused by the fact that there were more than 1 point on the layout 😜😜

Good to see you over the weekend matey.

Cheers

Neal.

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, Bungus the Fogeyman said:

For those who don't believe Steves comment above (about manning the layout so that he could have five), I believe there is pictorial evidence!!

Thank goodness for that - I thought I was having really weird hallucinations when I thought I saw that!

Jon

• Funny 1

8 minutes ago, jonhall said:

Thank goodness for that - I thought I was having really weird hallucinations when I thought I saw that!

Jon

Just because you think you saw it with your own eyes doesn’t mean that it actually happened. There are substances that can cause this kind of thing you know.

1 hour ago, Bungus the Fogeyman said:

Photoshop is a wonderful thing and its so easy to conjour up images of complete fantasy. 

57 minutes ago, RANGERS said:

Just because you think you saw it with your own eyes doesn’t mean that it actually happened. There are substances that can cause this kind of thing you know.

Photoshop is a wonderful thing and its so easy to conjour up images of complete fantasy. 

No I’ll vouch David Tailby was operating an N gauge layout with more than 3 points on it and no wagons. He also admitted to me he was enjoying it. 

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, sf315 said:

No I’ll vouch David Tailby was operating an N gauge layout with more than 3 points on it and no wagons. He also admitted to me he was enjoying it. 

The only time I see Dave smiling behind a layout is when it has been built by someone else. Does that tell us something about his train sets? 

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Bungus the Fogeyman said:

😉

IMG_20220724_115055.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks for the kind words about my little train set Clackmannan Goods. It's nice to know that my humble efforts are appreciated.

The layout ran fairly well all weekend although we did start to have issues with derailment on one point on Sunday afternoon. It also appears that the Roco master box on the DCC system made it right to the end of the exhibition before expiring. I'll have to take it apart to make sure it's properly broken before deciding whether to do a straight replacement or to buy a whole new DCC system.

The new venue was, I thought, an excellent find. Bigger than Burton Town Hall but with a really nice old school feel. The carpeting throughout definitely helped with noise and underfoot comfort. Thank you to the organising team, stewards, catering and town hall staff for putting on such a good show and a special thanks for the invite. I'm already looking forward to coming next year as a fee paying punter.

Cheers

David

• Like 6