Citadel's Workbench - Carlisle in late Victorian times

Citadel

Good question. We know for certain that post-1905 the underframes, headstocks and ends of the coaches were green and unlined as there is no mention of any  solebar lining in Ross Pochin article on M&C livery (MRN Jaunary 1967) in which he quotes from the notes of one Arthur Gunn [former M&CR coach painter ?]. As for the teak coaches, I think the solebars would have been black and unlined - "Prior to the autumn of 1905, M&C coaches were varnished teak with lettering and numbering in square block style having a gold leaf body 4 ins high, shaded black on the right hand side".

Edited by CKPR
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, CKPR said:

As for the teak coaches

Unfortunately the series in the Locomotive Magazine in the 1890s, detailing livery schemes company by company, is unhelpfully over concise when it comes to the M&C.  

The September 1897 edition included the final installment of the main English companies, the M&C and the Furness.  Whereas the FR gets a paragraph on the loco livery, including lining, as well as further shorter paragraphs regarding the paint schemes of the the carriages (at the time transitioning from the older chocolate and teak to the Aslett era ultramarine blue and off white), NPCS and goods wagons, the M&C gets just a single paragraph:

"The engines of the Maryport and Carlisle Railway are painted green, with black bands, lined on both sides with vermillion. The buffer beams are red with gold figures on, and the lettering on the tenders is in gold, with red shading, whilst the number plate is bright brass, with scarlet ground. The carriages are varnished teak, with gold letters and black shade."

This of course does not help the question about the solebars! Nor indeed the likes of horseboxes or the wagon stock!

3 hours ago, CKPR said:

I think the solebars would have been black and unlined

Would seem to be a very sensible position!

All the best

Neil  

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, CKPR said:

As for the teak coaches, I think the solebars would have been black and unlined

I'm coming at this from a standpoint of complete ignorance of M&C carriage liveries but on the grounds of general theory of carriage-painting, I question this. My first question is, what were carriage underframes made of? Teak is I think unlikely but not impossible; if teak, it seems to me most likely that the solebars and headstocks would have been varnished, with black ironwork. A more probable material is oak, in which case solebars and headstocks might be varnished or painted. If iron or steel - or if oak with an iron or steel flitch plate - then painted, black being possible but not inevitable.

What did other companies with varnished teak carriages do? The Great Northern seems to have painted solebars and headstocks an orangy-brown colour to match the teak, but not I think scumbled. According to Midland Style, the solebars of LT&SR carriages were painted light brown.

If on the adoption of the green and white livery, solebars and headstocks were painted body colour, that seems to me to argue a strong presumption in favour of their having been painted to match the body colour previously.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

That Hamilton Ellis print shows teak (or something like it) with ironwork painted black. The image I was looking at has a reference 1953 which I assume is date he painted it. So it may still be a guess.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

However there was a nice article in CRA journal August 2022 on M&C carriages. The illustration drawings of teak stock show black underframes. The later green carriages are shown with green underframes.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Many thanks for all the inputs, much appreciated!  I do want to be historically correct and to some extent there is the thrill of the chase in this respect.  Sometimes though the definitive answer has maybe been lost in time.

Think on balance will go with @CKPR’s suggestion to look at the Crampton carriage print -  based on this think will go brown with the ironwork picked out in black.  Fully accept though that this might just have been the whim of the artist at the time though.

IMG_2145.jpeg.1d2b6a6bba50a9cec17d05d5ed14c37a.jpeg

Aesthetically find this more attractive than the solid black under frame.  I did spray one this colour but the solebars are so deep (and almost flush with the body) it did jar a bit.

Also like the logic that in the green era solebars and headstocks were painted body colour - potentially suggests maybe a carryover from  when the bodies were teak.

Can always repaint them black if new evidence comes to light 🙂

• Like 6
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, apl31 said:

That Hamilton Ellis print shows teak (or something like it) with ironwork painted black. The image I was looking at has a reference 1953 which I assume is date he painted it. So it may still be a guess.

Hamilton Ellis was born in 1909 and grew up in the south of England, so is certainly no eye-witness. But he made his painting 70 years ago, less than 40 years after the M&C teak livery was dropped. He was a carriage enthusiast as well as a founder member of the HMRS, so I think we can assume his choice was not arbitrary but based on the best information he could get at the time. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

1 hour ago, Buhar said:

I think you'll find the M&CR applied an elaborate red and gold lining to the underframes with the builder's plate burnished and the tare in scroll script picked out in gold leaf.

That would put most people off.   However, this is Citadel we are talking about here. 

I am now waiting for the post saying how he used kindergarten crayons or felt tip pens, and knocked out an impeccable rendition of the aforementioned red/gold lining and script in 35 minutes.  (Both sides.)

• Like 3
  • Funny 4

Right, that's it!

Firing up this and @woko's threads, loading Youtube with Mike Trice and doing my fictional line's mid-Victorian vans in varnished wood!

If I can get results half as good as you talented lot I'll be chuffed, and should have desired effect of being plausible but not usual (for the majority of post-grouping hobbyists).

Looking forward to following the new builds too :)

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Coal Tank said:

I have recently done the brake van and the DX goods is on the list 

i'm half-way through the brake van and finding getting the axlebox / spring castings a bit of a faddle to fit so am interested to see how other people get on.

• Friendly/supportive 1