Adverts and Annoying Video Loop on RMweb

• RMweb Premium

I have a couple of questions on this.

Something I have noticed is that when I go onto a page, the pop-up video forces the screen to scroll down a bit, usually by a post or so o a thread, but often by a couple of lines on the new thread content. Is this just an anomaly for me, or are others getting this (on the new thread content it means a different thread I thought I had clicked on opens as the page shifts down)? This happens on my laptop.

Also, when navigating through pages on a thread, I often find the page jumping down to the bottom when a get to the next page, right on the adverts, as opposed to the top of the page I would expect to navigate to. Doesn't always do this, but it happens a good 2 or 3 times in 5. Again, is this just something to do with me (browser - Chrome) or intentional? This happens both on my laptop and phone.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I realise the ads help to pay for the site but I do object to scams like “Ecochip”. An American review extolling its supposed virtues when in reality it’s a gimmick with flashing LEDs. Surely this is false advertising…

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Lee-H said:

I realise the ads help to pay for the site but I do object to scams like “Ecochip”. An American review extolling its supposed virtues when in reality it’s a gimmick with flashing LEDs. Surely this is false advertising…

What add is displayed has noting to do with Warners or Rmweb, its driven by Google, so that's where you need to complain.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It appears that we now have 'proper' video content running and not caterpillars, ships, giraffes and fair grounds etc, endlessly.

I can see 'This day in history', brought to you by Connatix. Hopefully this content will change everyday.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hopefully we'll have real ad content, because that has the Kiss of death on it.. The connatix running caterpillars etc doesn't  so you can't get rid of the stupid thing, that takes about a quarter of an android tablet screen.

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, kevinlms said:

It appears that we now have 'proper' video content running and not caterpillars, ships, giraffes and fair grounds etc, endlessly.

I can see 'This day in history', brought to you by Connatix. Hopefully this content will change everyday.

Strange, I'm still seeing the repetitive ads.

Also still getting the ad creeping down from the top.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

I actually preferred the ships, caterpillars and mountains - quite relaxing to watch (rather like 'slow TV').

The 'On this day in history' video was interesting first time through, but I've seen it now....

But at least it changed for today - at an odd time, not sure exactly when.

• RMweb Premium
On 23/02/2022 at 14:29, kevinlms said:

But at least it changed for today - at an odd time, not sure exactly when.

Yes, it is changing correctly at midnight my time. 

There was a railway one for the 26 Feb. 1979 was when the first Dreamliner I think it was, ran under the Amtrak banner in 1979.

I'm not interested in signing up with Gold or trying to tinker with my Ad block settings etc but this new in your face arrangement is frankly naff. As only an occasional user of this forum it's not the end of the world  (especially as I can place the edge of the page beyond the right edge of the screen) but I can't see much new blood sticking around if they get bombarded every time they go to a new page.

Said my peace

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, steves17 said:

...but I can't see much new blood sticking around if they get bombarded every time they go to a new page.

This, I think, is the crux of the matter. I have got a great deal out of RMWeb over the years, and hopefully put some back in return. I am happy to contribute to running costs (I, like many others, have done so in the past), but have no particular interest in the Gold offerings. The issue we have will be people coming onto the site to see what it is like. Currently it is okay on a phone, but truly dreadful on a PC/laptop (cannot comment on tablets). There are too many distractions, intrusive flashing adverts (there was an awful one yesterday for sweaters that kept flashing a changing like some tacky amusement arcade), full screen videos etc which if I was someone visiting for the first time, would put me off immediately (there are sites I have visited briefly but no longer bother with because of such intrusive adverts).

When adverts interfere with the user experience, then we have an issue. I accept that adverts are needed to support the site, but oh boy do some of them give you a headache!

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, Claude_Dreyfus said:

Currently it is okay on a phone, but truly dreadful on a PC/laptop (cannot comment on tablets).

I've given up viewing the site on my (Android) tablet. It's unusable. I only use my phone now; and suffer through the ads.

Jim

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Claude_Dreyfus said:

The issue we have will be people coming onto the site to see what it is like. Currently it is okay on a phone, but truly dreadful on a PC/laptop (cannot comment on tablets). There are too many distractions, intrusive flashing adverts (there was an awful one yesterday for sweaters that kept flashing a changing like some tacky amusement arcade), full screen videos etc which if I was someone visiting for the first time, would put me off immediately (there are sites I have visited briefly but no longer bother with because of such intrusive adverts).

When adverts interfere with the user experience, then we have an issue. I accept that adverts are needed to support the site, but oh boy do some of them give you a headache!

I often access this site - variously using an Android tablet, an Android phone or a laptop running Windows 10 and Firefox.

I've been having lots of "fun" with all of them recently - playing "hunt the password slot" when logging in - having to keep on logging in, because I keep on getting automatically logged out every few minutes (particularly irritating when I'm in the middle of typing something).

I've been wary about mentioning this stuff - I'm sure Andy is already tearing his hair out ... .

17 hours ago, rab said:

I'm sure Andy and team are doing their best to resolve this,

but the lack of info suggests they are fighting a losing battle. :)

I've been thinking along these lines.

I get the general impression of certain companies who "serve up" adverts behaving in a similar manner to certain parking enforcement companies (allegedly).

Obviously, I could be very much mistaken ... .

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Huw Griffiths said:

I've been wary about mentioning this stuff

You shouldn't be getting them if you, as a Goldie, are logged in Huw. If you are doing so please send a screenshot over so I can investigate.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, AY Mod said:

You shouldn't be getting them if you, as a Goldie, are logged in Huw. If you are doing so please send a screenshot over so I can investigate.

I don't get them when I'm logged in.

The problems arise when I'm logging in - when stuff keeps jumping around the screen - sometimes the same advert in several places at once.

Getting automatically logged out after a few minutes doesn't help, either.

Unfortunately, though, what appears on the screen keeps on changing - sometimes as just described - sometimes looks absolutely fine. If I did know how to send screenshots, I'm not sure they'd tell you very much.

Thanks, though, for the kind offer ... .

• Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators
58 minutes ago, Huw Griffiths said:

Getting automatically logged out after a few minutes doesn't help, either.

That shouldn't happen really, I'd suggest clearing any RMweb cookies and temporary internet files and see if it improves matters. I never actually log out - but there again it doesnt keep kicking me out.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

That shouldn't happen really, I'd suggest clearing any RMweb cookies and temporary internet files and see if it improves matters. I never actually log out - but there again it do keep kicking me out.

You should have a word with the moderators!

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

I used to use RMWeb with the adblocker turned off but it got so bad with the ads messing up the screen layout that I turned it on.

It's staying on until the tight-*rse's membership becomes a reality.

uBlock Origin & Privacy Badger are still off.

I'm still getting the 'trial/test' videos and top edge banner that creeps down and prevents selecting certain options. Between them they block out most of the screen on my tablet. These issues have been dragging on for quite a few months now. Is there any progress and potential date for when they will be sorted?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 04/03/2022 at 21:20, grahame said:

I'm still getting the 'trial/test' videos and top edge banner that creeps down and prevents selecting certain options. Between them they block out most of the screen on my tablet. 

The other problem with this on my 1920x1200 Huawei tablet is that the downward creeping banner hides the notifications, so I have to tap repeatedly and quickly to grab them before they are hidden. If I'm too slow only thing to do is hit refresh and try again. This obviously does not help site performance one little bit. Also at the moment I am largely typing blind since blank top ad, video and on screen keyboard cover about 85% of the screen. I refuse to use ad blockers for moral reasons, but this is not a user friendly experience... 

NB Its only an issue on the tablet, its usable on 720 x 1280 phone and on PC.

Edited by JimC
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On a slightly different note, I seen ads for Russian companies, is this appropriate considering the sanctions imposed at the moment. If the type of ads can’t be controlled maybe a temporary stop to ads should be considered. Turning off ads might also help the site speed as well.

Edited by Andymsa