Revolution Trains announce Class 175 'Coradia' and Class 180 'Adelante' DMUs in N & OO Gauge.

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Bryn_Bach_Railway said:

The original announcement on the revolution trains website definitely states OO would have 22Plux. Just interesting to hear that one interface is more flexible than the other, however it’s understandable that one is chosen above the other if that’s the case.

can see another case of people struggling to find the appropriate decoders to access all the functions with the amount of 21pin decoders available that differ in ability. But if it gives more features on the model then it’s a worthwhile compromise it seems.

IMG_8512.jpeg.fd6704c7d18618fd120e3ba7ddfcc10b.jpeg

(https://revolutiontrains.com/revolution-goes-ahead-with-adelante-and-coradia/)

*apologies if this along with my last posts in this thread seem a bit augmentative or overly critical, That’s not my intention at all. I’m simply incredibly excited and interested for these models (was even going to attempt making a class 175 myself before time became to sparse) and just want them to be as close to the real thing as possible*

The original announcement was for a Plux 22, but on the website for pre ordering it was changed to DCC socket. The 21 MTC decoder has one extra output which gives us the flexibility needed and is the reason we’ve chosen to go with that interface. 

Hope that helps. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

That might be a first that I've ever seen it said a 21MTC had more outputs and greater flexibility than a Plux22. Interesting.

At least with Plux22 theres only one type.

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Kaput said:

That might be a first that I've ever seen it said a 21MTC had more outputs and greater flexibility than a Plux22. Interesting.

At least with Plux22 theres only one type.

Because we partner ESU for our sound decoders, the 21 MTC interface is more suited to how we’ve arranged the auxiliary outputs. This has been designed for us by ESU so that we can access all of the functions we’ve asked for. 

The Plux interface does indeed mean just one decoder type but ESU weren’t keen to go down this route, despite them making Plux 22 decoders. 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

And realistically, that's the way models are going - DCC fitted at least.

From a support point of view, it must be easier to have everything as factory standard as manufacturers don't know if it's a person's decoder that doesn't play ball, or the unit.

I prefer DCC fitted as models are getting a bit too intricate to get apart to put in a decoder.

Fully understand some people like to tinker with CVs and such and so having their own decoder may be worth it for them but manufacturers surely need to look at the majority, not the small amount of people tinkering.

Also fully understand some people will want to grease the motor every so often but I wonder how modern trains are fairing over those from the 70s, 80s and 90s as I suspect anything post 2000 doesn't need the same care and attention as something pre-2000.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Indeed - we’ve been trying to with new models to find good (easy!) places for decoders to be fitted without the need to remove bodies. 

On the 175/180 the decoder goes under one of the air con roof pods. 

cheers Mike

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I dunno. I don't buy DCC fitted unless it's an ESU decoder. I'm sure there's quite a few like me who buy one make of decoder.

Same here, though my primary reason is to have Railcom support. Realistically ESU seems the most reliable game in town for that. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, stationroad said:

Same here, though my primary reason is to have Railcom support. Realistically ESU seems the most reliable game in town for that. 

Exactly why I stick to them as well. Although I do think their function mapping is also beyond anyone else I have encountered. I'm sure even the Zimo system isn't quite as configurable unless they have changed it recently.

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Exactly why I stick to them as well. Although I do think their function mapping is also beyond anyone else I have encountered. I'm sure even the Zimo system isn't quite as configurable unless they have changed it recently.

Zimo swiss mapping can do most of what ESU decoders can do function wise. ESU does have a little edge on some light modes (i.e. if you set a light to turn off when moving on Zimo you can't make it also slow fade in/out).

Both a bit of a nightmare to utilise all the fancy options without a computer interface of some sort.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Kaput said:

Zimo swiss mapping can do most of what ESU decoders can do function wise. ESU does have a little edge on some light modes (i.e. if you set a light to turn off when moving on Zimo you can't make it also slow fade in/out).

Both a bit of a nightmare to utilise all the fancy options without a computer interface of some sort.

Yeah that's exactly what I meant. There are things you can do with the ESU function mapping that the Zimo mapping doesn't allow for. Can't remember exactly what off the top of my head but when I had a Zimo decoder a couple of years ago I couldn't quite get it to do what I wanted. I think it involved a condition of another function being switched off or something.

And yes, I used to program them manually and it was a ball ache so invested in a LokProgrammer.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...