Revolution Trains announce Class 175 'Coradia' and Class 180 'Adelante' DMUs in N & OO Gauge.

AY Mod

11 minutes ago, bmthtrains - David said:

This could be expensive! I’d go for a 175 as while strictly not a WCML unit, they do run from Wales to Birmingham and Crewe. That said the 180 goes nowhere near the WCML and I would be tempted by one of those too…

David 

First North Western had three in use from 2008-2011 (103/106/108) worked in and out of Blackpool, if that's any help.

R

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Yay! I have always said the 180 would be a good one, I will probably have a GC one in OO.

Dependent on price I may join you. Although I'm still DC I like the idea of being able to fit a decoder without removing the body - don't know if loco manufacturers can copy this design feature. I'm guessing sometime in 2024 for these?

1 minute ago, Graham108 said:

Dependent on price I may join you. Although I'm still DC I like the idea of being able to fit a decoder without removing the body - don't know if loco manufacturers can copy this design feature. I'm guessing sometime in 2024 for these?

Bachmann 90 is like that. I thought Accurascale were doing that with one/some of their locos too but might be wrong.

Hi All, 

Just a line to say 175 112 ventured to Hither Green, South East London before entering traffic all those years ago. This was to do with ride quality testing on the wonky Southern Region metals, so I was informed. 

Pictures do exist, so that Rule No. 1 can most definately be used! 

Kindest Regards, 

Shed. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Bachmann 90 is like that. I thought Accurascale were doing that with one/some of their locos too but might be wrong.

Correct, all of the accurascale locomotives can be chip-fitted without body removal

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

16 minutes ago, bmthtrains - David said:

This could be expensive! I’d go for a 175 as while strictly not a WCML unit, they do run from Wales to Birmingham and Crewe. That said the 180 goes nowhere near the WCML and I would be tempted by one of those too…

David 

Not just as mentioned above, but they did have a brief hire period to First Transpennine Express which would have taken them along parts of the WCML (as highlighted on revolutions map). A 180 or two has also visited Oxley depot when Virgin were looking to hire 3 to replace the Pendolino written off in the Grayrigg incident - they were looked over at Oxley for a while before being leased to NXEA for the Lincoln services. In the end I think  NXEA subleased them to Northern - and low and behold, after they finished with them, they returned, full circle, back to First Great Western! 

• RMweb Gold

Oh my! 

i need a sit down, the first ever unit I drove with FNW was 175010 and the last train i drove with Arriva trains wales was an ECS from Piccadilly to chester with units in ATW and FNW livery 

DSCF0023.jpg

DSCF0024.jpg

DSCF0025.jpg

now which livery to choose? 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Superb choice on the Adelante in OO guys! :sungum:

I look forward to buying at least one original FGW Barbie version for the later period running on my Didcot layout, with fond memories of them zooming through the Oxford curve at speed, and what a gorgeous livery!

Cheers

James

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shedmaster said:

Hi All, 

Just a line to say 175 112 ventured to Hither Green, South East London before entering traffic all those years ago. This was to do with ride quality testing on the wonky Southern Region metals, so I was informed. 

Pictures do exist, so that Rule No. 1 can most definately be used! 

Kindest Regards, 

Shed. 

Also 175101 spent time on the Severn Valley Railway, so one in a steam era environment is realistic as well.

• Informative/Useful 1

You can also run TfW 175s on the Mid-Cheshire line via Northwich to allow TfW staff to retain route knowledge. 175004 did 1D79 00:32 Manchester Piccadilly to Chester and 175001 did the 1H77 04:46 Chester to Manchester Airport this morning for example. And indeed they were used on same Mid-Cheshire line when new too.

The Northern Rail 180s also ran to Hazel Grove on peak-time services through Manchester to Blackpool North too.

Cheers Paul

Edited by pharrc20
Headcode added

3 hours ago, Robert Shrives said:

Brilliant news - just as I put orange stripes on a 3D print 180 and look to masking windows on tfw 175 -  time to take a new hobby --- knitting perhaps. 

Robert  

Are you thinking of the newly announced Bachmann DB Class 90 or possibly the Class 89? :jester:

• Funny 1

Although - sadly - just outside my period of interest a great announcement for recent/contemporary modellers and a great spec.  Wide sphere of operation too, and the 5 car 180 is the perfect model railway sized high speed train.

Given the original plan when these units were ordered was for North West Trains to use them on open access operations along the West Coast Main line from places off the electrified line in the north west to London, it would be a plausible Rule 1 to use them on a WCML themed layout.

• Like 1