Revolution Trains announce Class 175 'Coradia' and Class 180 'Adelante' DMUs in N & OO Gauge.

AY Mod

5 hours ago, Covkid said:

Regarding an earlier point, I believe the green striped GCR vehicle has only been like that for two or three years, and certainly would not be pre 2018.

Yeah 180112 had it’s green stripe added after 2018, and 108 is also in post 2018 refurb livery as it was a GWR unit until around 2017/2018.

10 hours ago, Revolution Mike said:

I think at this stage (ie tooling) we’re not going to start talking about a second batch! 

I think in terms of specific livery variations we will go with accurate but long lasting and offering a range of time periods ie we’re unlikely to only do pre or post a certain date. 

Okay, and yes it’s way too early to be talking about a second batch.

I get what you are saying about specific liveries but your choice of for GC units means you have offered only post 2018 units leaving the 2009-2018 period empty of a GC representation.

I’m still going to make a purchase it just means doing some reworking and the M word… 

I don’t want to seem awkward, and I think this project needs full support so that we can get more longer (4+ car) units into production but it’s just nice to know what I will be spending my money on?

17 hours ago, Covkid said:

That is surprising Mike, given the GCR 180s are more widely travelled than those on EMR (whilst they briefly were)

Regarding an earlier point, I believe the green striped GCR vehicle has only been like that for two or three years, and certainly would not be pre 2018.

The GCR ones are already at pre order stage though; I think what Mike was saying was the ranking of stuff that's still at EOI stage which may or may not go ahead.

11 hours ago, XChris said:

I get what you are saying about specific liveries but your choice of for GC units means you have offered only post 2018 units leaving the 2009-2018 period empty of a GC representation.

I'm interested in that too, whilst I want post 2018 versions, I'd like to know if I have a choice or not. Obviously 112 is but unsure on the other.

22 hours ago, Revolution Mike said:

I think at this stage (ie tooling) we’re not going to start talking about a second batch! 

I think in terms of specific livery variations we will go with accurate but long lasting and offering a range of time periods ie we’re unlikely to only do pre or post a certain date. 

In terms of the expressions of interest the starting point should be that none will go ahead. None of the three options is looking promising - in terms of most expressions to least we’re at:

180 Barbie

175 Barbie

180 EMR

cheers Mike

Hi Mike,

I do find that Revolution Trains models are often well-hidden gems. I wonder if a lot of potential customers aren't even aware of the brand. 

Advertising for things like expressions of interest, early bird prices etc. often seems quite limited and I find myself having to keep an eye on rmweb forum a lot for updates on these things. It makes me think if the word was spread more about your fantastic models (such as on social media), whether you would get more response when it comes to things like expressions of interest and ultimately better sales. 

This is just my opinion when thinking about the level of broadcasting I see from other manufacturers. For me personally, I would just be after FNW class 175s so if these don't go ahead, I won't be looking to purchase any other liveries that do get the green light.

Hopefully you find this constructive- I realise RT is a very small business compared to many others so it's easier said than done I guess

Edited by VXDH92
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, VXDH92 said:

Hi Mike,

I do find that Revolution Trains models are often well-hidden gems. I wonder if a lot of potential customers aren't even aware of the brand. 

Advertising for things like expressions of interest, early bird prices etc. often seems quite limited and I find myself having to keep an eye on rmweb forum a lot for updates on these things. It makes me think if the word was spread more about your fantastic models (such as on social media), whether you would get more response when it comes to things like expressions of interest and ultimately better sales. 

This is just my opinion when thinking about the level of broadcasting I see from other manufacturers. For me personally, I would just be after FNW class 175s so if these don't go ahead, I won't be looking to purchase any other liveries that do get the green light.

Hopefully you find this constructive- I realise RT is a very small business compared to many others so it's easier said than done I guess

If you haven’t heard of Revolution Trains by now you would have to be someone who does not do any of these:

Read model railway magazines 

Go to model railway exhibitions

Have membership of a model railway club

Visit model shops

Use the internet to research current and/or forthcoming models

Use RMWeb

Use the N Gauge Forum

Have membership of the N Gauge Society

Use Twitter

Use Facebook

Model in OO, N or O gauges

Do such people exist? I very much doubt it unless they are reclusive, self-sufficient scratch-builders of the pre-BR era in which case Revolution Trains products won’t be of interest to them anyway. How do you think they could spread the word any better than they already do? Honest question. 

Edited by The Pilotman
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, The Pilotman said:

If you haven’t heard of Revolution Trains by now you would have to be someone who does not do any of these:

Visit model shops

Use RMWeb

Use the N Gauge Forum

Use Twitter

Use Facebook

Do such people exist? I very much doubt it unless they are reclusive, self-sufficient scratch-builders of the pre-BR era in which case Revolution Trains products won’t be of interest to them anyway. How do you think they could spread the word any better than they already do? Honest question. 

I more meant people that aren't such avid model railway fans... those who don't buy mags, use forums and go to model railway exhibitions. I know people who work in the rail industry, for example, who are occasional purchasers of model railway items because of the connection to their job and are aware of the likes of Bachmann, Heljan, Accurascale, Hornby, but have not heard of Revolution, Realtrack, Rapido and some of the other smaller manufacturers. 

Take for example Accurascale and Hornby - they are always posting on social media and I think that brings attention. 

Certainly didn't mean to cause offence, but I could perhaps have explained my point of view better (and it is only my opinion after all, so you're welcome to disregard it)!

Some excellent positive publicity for model railways courtesy of the Revolution Team  on the Jeremy Vine show today - who would have thought that a sound fitted Ngauge class 59 would make national radio! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Marke said:

Some excellent positive publicity for model railways courtesy of the Revolution Team  on the Jeremy Vine show today - who would have thought that a sound fitted Ngauge class 59 would make national radio! 

What time were they on? So I don't have to listen to the whole show!

8 hours ago, TomScrut said:

I'm interested in that too, whilst I want post 2018 versions, I'd like to know if I have a choice or not. Obviously 112 is but unsure on the other.

So just in case you wanted to know, it sounds like you did, here is the low down. Both 108 and 112 are modelled after 2018. 108 joined GC in late 2017 in Dynamic lines Livery and was repainted by mid-late 2018 into GC modern livery, new cycle space logos, By Arriva added, etc. 112 only got the green band after 2018, however it has spent most of its time on 4 out of 5 engines with the LPG engine isolated, it also has had underbody modifications on that car.

Hope that clears it up for you! @TomScrut

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/07/2023 at 13:05, Revolution Mike said:

In terms of the expressions of interest the starting point should be that none will go ahead. None of the three options is looking promising - in terms of most expressions to least we’re at:

180 Barbie

175 Barbie

180 EMR

cheers Mike

Now the poll has closed - are we likely to see any of these liveries? I can divert some funds elsewhere if the Barbie 175 is a non-starter 😄

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, TomE said:

N Gauge EPs on show at TINGS and looking excellent. More pics will be up on NGN tomorrow evening. 

DC_9Q3A6312.jpeg.645b8626f4741e1f0ba9af1a0ce43e1f.jpeg

Tom. 

They look fantastic, nice to see the hazard lights modelled separately also, will these light up ? 

On 13/07/2023 at 12:19, The Pilotman said:

Visit model shops

Use RMWeb

Use the N Gauge Forum

Use Twitter

Use Facebook

Hi,

Oh yes, these people exist, I've had people in the shop asking if we know who Bachmann were and were they new! There are still a large proportion of customers who don't know any of the newer, small (comparatively) brands such as Revolution at all. A lot don't go beyond Hornby and don't even use PECO.

It's been an eye opener for me...

Simon

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Revolution have a website, a presence here and no doubt other websites, advertise in magazines, attend shows, do social media like Facebook etc. I've no doubt there will be potential customers who have never heard of them but at a certain point if a company promotes itself using the channels that most potential customers use then they can just accept that they might miss a few potential customers. If they're selling product in the numbers they need to make it worth their while does it matter if they miss a few people. It reminds me of the adage about being able to take a horse to water but not make it drink. If you advertise and communicate through so many channels and people still don't see any of it well c'est la vie.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• 1 month later...