GWR 4 Plank Open (O21)

rapidoandy

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

I doubt any entered BR service.

@Enterprisingwestern, remembering that these wagons were built between 1887 and 1902, so the youngest survivors would be 46 years old at nationalisation. Do Mr Larkin's books cover ex-GWR wagons yet?

The SVR example, No. 41277, was built in 1890, a member of old series lot 556; unfortunately the 813 Fund's website gives no provenance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, dpgibbons said:

Excellent job with the tarpaulin - care to share how you did it?

Thanks. It’s based on a technique by @Mikkel, with elements of other people’s methods and some tweaks of my own.

The starting point is the GWR sheet artwork from Ian Smith: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/gallery/image/93183-gwr-1903-tarpaulin/

After editing this to get the required sheet number, it is printed with a laser printer on the thinnest printer paper I could find (60gsm rather than the usual 80). The paper then has self-adhesive  aluminium tape stuck on the back - the stuff used to seal the joints of sheets of insulation used for roofs, etc. It’s this tape that helps the paper hold its shape. The sheet can then be cut to size.

The cords that hold the sheet in place are Eze-line (spelling?) - very fine elastic - so they stay taut. The line is glued to the back of the sheet before it is fitted to the wagon, and run through small holes made in the edge of the sheet. Of course, it means you have to model the cleats where the cords are tied off - little hooks of fine wire in holes drilled in the body.

There are a few tricks to getting the sheet to form the right shape. As you see in the last construction picture, there is a plasticard former at the ends, and half way along the wagon, that the sheet is glued to to get the right, curved shape. The sheet is stuck on is stages, first the ridge, then to the formers, then the top of the wagon sides. I preform the sheet before gluing, to establish the main fold lines and creases, looking at prototype photos to see how the sheet should hang. The final stage is gluing the folds at the ends, poking a bit of Rocket Hot CA glue under the folds with a cocktail stick.

The aim is to get a sense the sheet is pliable, and hangs under its own weight, and tensioned by the cords. Getting the main creases as sharp as possible is key. Another trick is that the edges of the sheet are cut with a very slight curve between each tie point, so it looks like it is under tension. I made a template from scrap brass sheet to cut these curves.

Weathering is with powders. For this very dirty example, I edited the image file on the computer before printing, so it was brown-grey, and a dirty white, rather than a pure black and white, to give the weathering a head start. Of course, if you want a relatively clean sheet, don’t do that.

I hope that helps - 

Nick.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

I doubt any entered BR service. There was a thread a while back (can't find it at the moment) where this was discussed iirc.

The prototype W14076 for the model (925008) shown on the Rapido website is Fig.10 in "A Pictorial Record of Great Western Wagons" by J. H. Russell published in the 1970's. A nice example of the hybrid liveries to be seen in early BR days.   

Andrew

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

I haven't got my 'Pictorial Record of Great Western Wagons' available, but I can't find 14076 in the wagon lot lists. How is it described in the book?

Just as a four-planker. Jim Russell does not come over as knowledgeable about the details of wagons, A modeller, he apparently just photographed what he saw while working for the GWR and afterwards when he left to become a professional photographer.

Rapido are also proposing to model 14432, don't know their source for this number.

Andrew

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Sitham Yard said:

Rapido are also proposing to model 14432, don't know their source for this number.

Stranger and stranger. 14432 was an obscure 2-plank sleeper wagon.

There are 4-plankers that never made it on to the O21 lists, which may explain 14076.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

Stranger and stranger. 14432 was an obscure 2-plank sleeper wagon.

There are 4-plankers that never made it on to the O21 lists, which may explain 14076.

Now found the photo see https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p910105639/h1FABBD42#he665a45d for the prototype. Could this be a rebuild from the wagon you mention?

Andrew

Edited by Sitham Yard
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium

Curious - the wagon in the rail-online picture has angled ends to the headstocks, and the reinforcing plate attached to the bottom of the solebar where it meets the headstock. These are features of later wagons, not the usual 4-plank wagons. There is something odd about this one...

Nick

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• 2 weeks later...

For interest, I attach a photograph of an engineering occupation at Winchcombe in 1949 It is clearly a GW 4-plank being used to collect spoil during the installation of a replacement cess drain. While it is impossible to see a wagon number, it is clearly an old wagon. It has square cut headstocks and a single side brake with a Churchward ratchet brake guard. It would appear to have the standard modification of a second lever added on the opposite side with one pushrod and brake shoe as there is no visible cross shaft. Definitely an instance of the Rapido model. :-)

p7.jpg

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...

Interestingly I've just found another 4 Plank that was transferred to ballast work on P.29 of the GWR Journal Issue 81. Makes me wonder whether the 4 Planks being transferred from goods service to departmental was anything to do with World War 2?

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 21/12/2022 at 21:22, nigel newling said:

For interest, I attach a photograph of an engineering occupation at Winchcombe in 1949 It is clearly a GW 4-plank being used to collect spoil during the installation of a replacement cess drain.

Indeed, a whole row of them.

• Agree 2