GWR 4 Plank Open (O21)

rapidoandy

The door bangs and springs shown in the photos are not typical of a 4 plank wagon.

The springs fitted were a smaller curved one that hung just below the bottom of the solebar, whilst the door bang was usually a square. When the offside brake was fitted a standard spring was fitted to at least some, but only one. 

Regards,

Craig W

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Craigw said:

The door bangs and springs shown in the photos are not typical of a 4 plank wagon.

The springs fitted were a smaller curved one that hung just below the bottom of the solebar, whilst the door bang was usually a square. When the offside brake was fitted a standard spring was fitted to at least some, but only one. 

Regards,

Craig W

Yes I know, but I couldn't find a good picture of an 04 4 plank with both a door bump/bang plate and the spring clearly shown so I used the 5 plank picture instead.  On the well known picture of the gently composting survivor the square bump plate is there to stop the end of the brake handle pivot rod from digging a hole into the drop down side door and it doesn't seem to have ever been fitted with a spring.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

With the door springs and bump plates, it’s important to note that these changed over time. At first, there was just a single square or circular bump plate on the side of the wagon with brakes, corresponding to the bottom of the vee hanger, as Annie describes. This plate was therefore high up on the door.

Later, the short springs were fitted, as Craig describes - two short springs on each side. The square or circular bump plates were correspondingly lower on the doors, to align with the springs when the door swung down.

Later still, the long style of spring began to be fitted, and the bump plates moved again to suite, often changing to the long strip of metal as shown in the picture of the 5-plank wagon.

To add the the variety, when there were two springs, the spacing varied, sometimes quite near the edges of the door, and sometimes closer together.

For further discussion of the minutiae of door springs and other weighty matters relating to GWR wagonery, see this thread:

Nick.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, magmouse said:

With the door springs and bump plates, it’s important to note that these changed over time.

Which is of course a nightmare for a manufacturer aiming to produce a model that can be sold in a variety of liveries covering a long time-span (and hence be commercially viable) since the bump plates at least are most satisfactorily represented as part of the body moulding. I'm not quite sure how well add-on parts for these would work; I would think they would have to be etched brass and colour-matched to the wagon. They would not be straightforward to glue on neatly. So sympathy to Rapido here.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Which is of course a nightmare for a manufacturer aiming to produce a model that can be sold in a variety of liveries covering a long time-span (and hence be commercially viable) since the bump plates at least are most satisfactorily represented as part of the body moulding. I'm not quite sure how well add-on parts for these would work; I would think they would have to be etched brass and colour-matched to the wagon. They would not be straightforward to glue on neatly. So sympathy to Rapido here.

Yes indeed. Leaving them off completely may be the best strategy for Rapido - many customers won’t be too troubled by the lack of them, and those that care about it will have the opportunity to fit the correct parts for their period. If you are adding the detail, you are probably also doing some weathering, so you will have an opportunity to blend in the paintwork of the new parts.

Nick.

• Agree 6

I don't know whether anyone noticed but I will ask again.

Rapido's 925008 GWR 4 Plank W14076, GWR Grey (BR Lettering), does anyone else think that Swindon did a "lazy" and just painted over the "G"? Curious to see what you think as I might just add this one to my stack for future re-application of the G.

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Garethp8873 said:

I don't know whether anyone noticed but I will ask again.

Rapido's 925008 GWR 4 Plank W14076, GWR Grey (BR Lettering), does anyone else think that Swindon did a "lazy" and just painted over the "G"? Curious to see what you think as I might just add this one to my stack for future re-application of the G.

It's possible that the G or maybe even the G W was on the metalwork as per the wartime livery of some wagons, and maybe they did just paint over it?

9 minutes ago, RapidoCorbs said:

It's possible that the G or maybe even the G W was on the metalwork as per the wartime livery of some wagons, and maybe they did just paint over it?

It very well could be. I am mainly pondering this owing the 908008 Iron Mink Van that Rapido did in BR livery where the GW was painted over. Dammit I might have to snap up the 908008 Iron Mink now too!!

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Kevin Johnson said:

Hi Robin did you use the black or natural coloured rigging thread.

I use the natural but then give it a black/dark wash with Ammo.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

For years, the RTR SECR types were other railway later types with SECR livery. They were few in number, so we could supplement them with other pre-grouping wagons which were also later types in earlier liveries.

Now with proper SECR RTR wagons, one way of increasing the trains is with other proper pre-grouping wagons

(of course kit building is another means).

And Rapido have done that:

GWR_01.jpg

GWR_02.jpg

• Like 4

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, RCP said:

@RapidoCorbs I’ve just got a pair of O21. The literature indicates there should be a bag with door bangs in. But I can’t see any. Is this correct or should I go back to the retailer?

Sorry - that was our mistake. We could not make the door bangs but the instructions had already been printed and the error was not spotted until too late.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1