GWR 4 Plank Open (O21)

rapidoandy

My brace (73721 and 41277) were dropped off an hour ago, with the delivery logged and traceable every step of the way. Top service from Rapido, Hattons and Amazon.

The wagons are really very good indeed. Like the Mink, the detail is excellent, the decoration sharp and clean, and they're beautifully free rolling. My photos won't do them justice, so I'll leave that to others, but one happy customer here.

Well done Rapido!

Only query is over the polybag referred to on the information leaflet, which is meant to contain bang plates? No polybag in or with either wagon.

Just for completeness' sake, I've had to re-wheel them with Gibson (as with the Mink), whose thinner tyres better deal with my inset and rather rustic track. NEM couplings removed and housings unscrewed which lead to one wagon body and frame coming apart: although there were glue marks on the weight (which forms the layer joining body to frame) it must have been dry before assembly. A dab of CA top and bottom sorted that. Three-links were fitted, which would have required some drilling out of the coupling hook to take Slaters chain. I have a finer gauge too, so used those for the top link.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Schooner said:

My photos won't do them justice, so I'll leave that to others, 

Oh go on the suspense is killing us. Mine won't be despatched till next week.😉

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

My BR example arrived this morning. Totally agree with Louis's ( Schooner) comments. 

It's lovely. Now I need to source some GWR versions.....

Oh and weather the little BR chap to within an inch of it's life !!!  

Rob. 

• Like 2

Please pardon me if this sounds dumb, but I have just received my Rapido 925006, the GW O21 No. 73691 in small (wartime) lettering. In addition to the missing promised bag of bump plates, there is only one set of brakegear. Is this correct?  I assumed by the 1940s a second set of brakegear would have been fitted?

Best regards,

Martin

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, MartinTrucks said:

Please pardon me if this sounds dumb, but I have just received my Rapido 925006, the GW O21 No. 73691 in small (wartime) lettering. In addition to the missing promised bag of bump plates, there is only one set of brakegear. Is this correct?  I assumed by the 1940s a second set of brakegear would have been fitted?

@MartinTrucks see my thread for the explanation.

There should indeed be a break gear protection spring but, as this chassis is a direct lift by Rapido from their Iron Mink, it does not appear to be available as an add-on for use on the O21. It seems also to have been lost from the preserved wagon which may explain Rapido's decision. 

For most people, the wagon also needs the addition of the secondary, single shoe, brake, as fitted to 14432. My two post '36 examples arrived in the post this afternoon and I am keeping my fingers crossed that Rapido will make the extra break gear parts available as an accessory pack.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I just noticed this too, no door springs or rubbing plates on the doors for the later liveries.

"What's in the poly bag?" - What poly bag?

Edited by 57xx
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Harlequin said:

What's the deal with the bump plates? Lots of chat about them in the pamphlet but nothing in any of the boxes...

3 hours ago, 57xx said:

I just noticed this too, no door springs or rubbing plates on the doors for the later liveries.

"What's in the poly bag?" - What poly bag?

Oh dear, I think we've made a blunder here. We had intended to include these earlier on, then they got removed from the design but seemingly not the instructions.

Sorry about the error 😑 we have more staff now which should mean we can do more thorough checks on printed material etc.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, RapidoCorbs said:

Oh dear, I think we've made a blunder here. We had intended to include these earlier on, then they got removed from the design but seemingly not the instructions.

Sorry about the error 😑 we have more staff now which should mean we can do more thorough checks on printed material etc.

What?? Are you expecting people to do some modelling instead? 🙄😂

• Funny 1

2 hours ago, BenL said:

Maybe there is a possibility of a 3D printing modeller like @Modelu Chris creating accurate door springs and bump plates for these wagons?

I ask as I’ve always found it difficult to improvise accurate looking door springs, but this might just be my limitations as a modeller!

This is something that we could do but would need to get measurements and diagrams for them to make sure we could get them correct. 

• Like 2

On 18/02/2023 at 20:48, NHY 581 said:

Here we go. Consider this to be a "before" image. 

20230218_203146-01.jpeg.a7b1ebfaa51a3122b6a2e66082b776d1.jpeg

Me thinks I might be getting one of these 4 Planks as well. Does anyone else think that Swindon did a "lazy" and just painted over the "G" with 14076? If so 14076 is going on my stack @AGR Model Store 😉

20 hours ago, Annie said:

(Picture courtesy of Wikipedia)

tL34QVv.jpg

One of the best photos I took of GWR 13154 that is 😃

Edited by Garethp8873
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Garethp8873 said:

One of the best photos I took of GWR 13154 that is 😃

I hope you didn't mind me drawing on it to show what a bump plate is.  And i agree it's a really nice clear photo and perfect as a reference.

• Like 1