Trewithen, BR/WR BLT.

Andrew P

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

The TWO Well Tanks were out of Service on the Day that I'm modelling.🤫

There were three of them... 😂

... but all three had gone by 1962. 

GWR 1366 tanks were transfered from Southampton Docks and were used on the Wenford Branch between 1962-1964. They were eventually ousted by 0-6-0 diesel shunters - O3 or O4 I think. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Brinkly said:

T9s tended to work the North Cornwall line (Padstow, Wadebridge and then on to Halwill and Okehampton. They also worked the Southern mainline (Plymouth to Exeter) via Tavistock North. 

M7 locomotives were used in the Plymouth area and tended to work stopper services in the area - one particular use was Plymouth to Tavistock North stoppers (grandpa used to catch this train home regularly after the war). They tended not to operate on the North Cornwall line. 

E4... Don't think they were in the South West, as they were ex LB&SCR locomotives. 

Most likely choices would be O2 tanks (1930s to 1960) working P-Sets, Ivatt 2 tanks for a few years and N-Class Moguls. They did appear at Bodmin North from time to time and a pair were used to work clay trains up from Boscarne Junction to Bodmin General, but that was an incredibly rare working! 

I do like the Ivatt Tanks. 👍

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Brinkly said:

GWR 1366 tanks were transfered from Southampton Docks and were used on the Wenford Branch between 1962-1964. They were eventually ousted by 0-6-0 diesel shunters - O3 or O4 I think. 

That's interesting, Did the 03 / 04 work Clay Trains up to BG?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Andrew P said:

That's interesting, Did the 03 / 04 work Clay Trains up to BG?

I don't believe so. 

Usual working would be:

- Wadebridge based locomotive hauling freight up from Wadebridge to Boscarne Junction. 

- Collect any wagons from number 1 siding (exchange siding between SR/WR lines) at Boscarne and proceed to Dunmere Junction.

- Work the branch to Wenford Bridge. 

- Return to Boscarne Junction with full china clay wagons and any loaded/empty general freight stock.

- Shunt at Boscarne Junction (usually number 1 siding). Number 2 siding at Boscarne Junction would house just clay wagons, a mixture of full and empty wagons I think.

- Proceed back to Wadebridge.

While that was happening, a WR locomtoive, by 1962 a Class 22 Diesel, would work empty clay wagons from Bodmin Road to Bodmin General, split the train there in to cuts of 8 wagons and then take the 8 empties down to Boscarne Junction and return with 8 loaded wagons. I believe this would have been done at least 4 times a day.

Once 16 loaded wagons were at Bodmin General, the formation would proceed to Bodmin Road exchange sidings for onward shipment to Falmouth and bringing 16 empties down.  

By the late 1960s, class 25 and then in the 1970s class 37 locomotives worked this traffic, with an 08 shunter working Wendord Bridge to Boscarne. The line to Wadebridge being lifted during this period. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

It all looked so done and dusted, just get on with the scenics and you were done, but now you're in this stock minefield 😉

1964 couldn't be easier really. Class 121/122 bubble car and a Class 22 for freight work! That was your lot if you work it 'by the book'.

WR steam had pretty much gone from Cornwall by 1964. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

1 minute ago, Brinkly said:

1964 couldn't be easier really. Class 121/122 bubble car and a Class 22 for freight work! That was your lot if you work it 'by the book'.

Pretty much all the WR by the end of 1964

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Brinkly said:

I've gone with massive modellers licence for my own efforts 1966-1968 so green / blue diesels (tops lol, in N no-one can read the numbers), some Stanier and Standard steam and nice mix of maroon / blue & grey stock.

But Northwest, not Western Region, my GWR steam is off to the sales

Edited by woodenhead
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Brinkly said:

IIRC, the 1366 tanks worked the Weymouth Quay tramway before being displaced by Drewry 0-6-0DMs (later designated Class 04) and heading for the far West.

Southampton docks employed an altogether chunkier type of outside cylinder 0-6-0T until dieselised.

John

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

a42d967fe2efdfe81ec6ebe62d3a553a.jpg.ef7f964af9b77c0f92d0c049c18d29d8.jpg

He is a photograph of 1369 at Boscarne Junction between 1962-1964. It is standing on the SR line to Bodmin North, with Number 1 siding between the WR Bodmin General and SR lines. There was a further siding, running alongside the SR line to the right of the locomotive. 

You can see 1369 has a cut of empty wagons and has most likely shunted the full into the exchange siding ready for a WR working to collect. 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

IIRC, the 1366 tanks worked the Weymouth Quay tramway before being displaced by Drewry 0-6-0DMs (later designated Class 04) and heading for the far West.

Southampton docks employed an altogether chunkier type of outside cylinder 0-6-0T until dieselised.

John

Hi John,

Thank you, I meant Weymouth! Apologies for the error. 

Nick.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Thanks Kevin, as I said, not a lot of doing this week, but I have done a LOT of thinking. 😮

Dangerous that thinking

Don

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

I'm mid 60's. 😮

I though you were a bit older than that.

early 60s were better on the railway.   I would say a large prairie was not right for a bracnh they were used on mainline suburban services such as from Pad out to Reading stopper before the DMUs took over.  The 42xx is probably better on the clays and a 45xx on lighter trains.

BTW this isn't called Bodmin so you have licence to run what you feel

Don

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, woodenhead said:

It all looked so done and dusted, just get on with the scenics and you were done, but now you're in this stock minefield 😉

Better dig out the 66's then. 🙄

3 hours ago, Brinkly said:

I don't believe so. 

Usual working would be:

- Wadebridge based locomotive hauling freight up from Wadebridge to Boscarne Junction. 

- Collect any wagons from number 1 siding (exchange siding between SR/WR lines) at Boscarne and proceed to Dunmere Junction.

- Work the branch to Wenford Bridge. 

- Return to Boscarne Junction with full china clay wagons and any loaded/empty general freight stock.

- Shunt at Boscarne Junction (usually number 1 siding). Number 2 siding at Boscarne Junction would house just clay wagons, a mixture of full and empty wagons I think.

- Proceed back to Wadebridge.

While that was happening, a WR locomtoive, by 1962 a Class 22 Diesel, would work empty clay wagons from Bodmin Road to Bodmin General, split the train there in to cuts of 8 wagons and then take the 8 empties down to Boscarne Junction and return with 8 loaded wagons. I believe this would have been done at least 4 times a day.

Once 16 loaded wagons were at Bodmin General, the formation would proceed to Bodmin Road exchange sidings for onward shipment to Falmouth and bringing 16 empties down.  

By the late 1960s, class 25 and then in the 1970s class 37 locomotives worked this traffic, with an 08 shunter working Wendord Bridge to Boscarne. The line to Wadebridge being lifted during this period. 

Brilliant info, Cheers.

I always thought the split was for Full from General to Road.

• Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Brinkly said:

Or I could do it a s closed and mothballed, even easier. 😁  🤓

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

John

Yes, I think that was probably the USA Tanks at Southampton, John.

2 hours ago, Donw said:

I though you were a bit older than that.

early 60s were better on the railway.   I would say a large prairie was not right for a bracnh they were used on mainline suburban services such as from Pad out to Reading stopper before the DMUs took over.  The 42xx is probably better on the clays and a 45xx on lighter trains.

BTW this isn't called Bodmin so you have licence to run what you feel

Don

👍  😁

1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

@Donw - we're only playing, it's Friday.

Andy knows what he wants for his railways and when he's had enough he moves on again.

Yes, what time is it?🤫

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Brilliant info, Cheers.

I always thought the split was for Full from General to Road.

It was due to the gradient from Bodmin General to Boscarne Junction. It is a pretty steep climb so 8 loaded clay wagons, plus a brake van and possibly a box van, was the limit for the 57xx and 45xx locomotives. The curve out of Bodmin General down to Boscarne is pretty tight too, which wouldn't have helped either. 

So you could add a shunt move to your own station, halving the train in from the mainline and then only take half the wagons down to Boscarne. Nice little shunting move. 🙂

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Brinkly said:

It was due to the gradient from Bodmin General to Boscarne Junction. It is a pretty steep climb so 8 loaded clay wagons, plus a brake van and possibly a box van, was the limit for the 57xx and 45xx locomotives. The curve out of Bodmin General down to Boscarne is pretty tight too, which wouldn't have helped either. 

So you could add a shunt move to your own station, halving the train in from the mainline and then only take half the wagons down to Boscarne. Nice little shunting move. 🙂

Yes, I mentioned it a few times in last weeks Video, (No 3) but said it was from BG to Road, so I obviously had that the wrong way around. Yes I will split the Trains.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

It is not always the case that the load uphill i the problem taking a load downhill can also be a problem due to braking. On the Forest of Dean Coleford branch I think a Pannier was restricted to 6 full wagons on steep downhills.

Your station must be a sea level ( due to the harbour) therefore I suggest that both lines will descend to the station. If the line down fom the clay dries/ wenford is steep  the braking could well be an issue. Thinking back to Walking the Wenford line it wasn't that steep but boscarne was well above the camel  and that would be well above sea level. We had pitched the Motorhome down by the Camel at Dunmere and it was a fair hike up to the trail. We also could hear all the train movements at Boscarne.

The Wenfod line above Dunmere

DSCF0544.JPG.8c788a53a11fcc7d4411289d3a0f1114.JPG

Don

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Donw said:

It is not always the case that the load uphill i the problem taking a load downhill can also be a problem due to braking. On the Forest of Dean Coleford branch I think a Pannier was restricted to 6 full wagons on steep downhills.

Your station must be a sea level ( due to the harbour) therefore I suggest that both lines will descend to the station. If the line down fom the clay dries/ wenford is steep  the braking could well be an issue. Thinking back to Walking the Wenford line it wasn't that steep but boscarne was well above the camel  and that would be well above sea level. We had pitched the Motorhome down by the Camel at Dunmere and it was a fair hike up to the trail. We also could hear all the train movements at Boscarne.

The Wenfod line above Dunmere

DSCF0544.JPG.8c788a53a11fcc7d4411289d3a0f1114.JPG

Don

Thanks Don, and ALSO THANKS for reminding me that I've placed Trewithen at Sea Level due in no small part to having a Harbour, so yes, UP to both Bodmin and Wenfordbridge in my Rule 1 Layout.😆

• Like 2