Trewithen, BR/WR BLT.

Andrew P

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

For a small O Gauge it had a lot more potential to offer had the Shed been a Fiddle Yard.

If you used cassettes you could get away with a small cassette tray hidden by trees or a warehose/dairy

Paul R

• Agree 3

15 hours ago, pwr said:

If you used cassettes you could get away with a small cassette tray hidden by trees or a warehose/dairy

Paul R

Yes, It did need something to form a Fiddle Yard.

18 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Just these two, plus running in next Fridays Video.

IMG_8224.JPG.962fe9a18e276e517077c602f24b22b5.JPG

IMG_8225.JPG.4388126291f5db74114d12f171272df9.JPG

This is quite brilliant, a complicated shunting puzzle - a double inglenook.

The lack of a fiddleyard isn't an issue if you simply want to shift wagons about - and it stops you accumulating lots of stock.  As an exhibition layout it also works, no-one watches one layout for hours, so one loco and some interesting shunt moves will keep punters happy for about 10 minutes then move on.

If you had to swap stock, the goods shed should allow it as it is opensided, just a couple of wagons at a time.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

The lack of a fiddleyard isn't an issue if you simply want to shift wagons about - and it stops you accumulating lots of stock.  As an exhibition layout it also works, no-one watches one layout for hours, so one loco and some interesting shunt moves will keep punters happy for about 10 minutes then move on.

If you had to swap stock, the goods shed should allow it as it is opensided, just a couple of wagons at a time.

Your spot on Woody, 👍

I've been having a play with the Plan, or very similar on my Budoc Yard board this morning, it does work well as you quite rightly say, especially at a Show where people don't linger long.

• Like 1

In this case wouldn't the milk be loaded in the yard?  Most milk went from the provinces to larger cities/London. You might want to rethink that one Andy!!!! sorry to be pedantic

Paul R

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

49 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Your spot on Woody, 👍

I've been having a play with the Plan, or very similar on my Budoc Yard board this morning, it does work well as you quite rightly say, especially at a Show where people don't linger long.

That's all very well, but as an operator I'd want to cut my throat after about the first hour-and-a-half.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

51 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

That's all very well, but as an operator I'd want to cut my throat after about the first hour-and-a-half.

But I guess that comes down to the operator - if the person who owns it likes it then that's all that matters.

Personally, I like a fiddleyard but I can see how this set up delivers an interesting variation on an inglenook (that don't require fiddleyards).

There are plenty of layouts on show that are similar, but come with a fiddleyard and that means every so many moves you have to swap stock over which can also be a PITA if they all have three links.  At least here, you are just moving the deckchairs from one end of the deck to the other, you don't have to get new deckchairs and put them up.

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

55 minutes ago, Brinkly said:

Another structure Andy asked me to build and paint was the Ratio signal box. This comes in BR SR colours.

I primed the model in grey and the brush painted the stones in the same shades as the cattle dock. The cream is Humbrol 71 and brown Humbrol 160. 

Individual roof slates were picked out and then the rest of the roof airbrushed in a suitable shade. The chimney stack was brush painted and still needs a bit of weathering to tone it down and bring it all together. The windows are painted and just await installation. Handrails for the steps and gutters are the final job to fit. 

I airbrushed the whole structure in a dirty black, to represent soot and grim - Andy’s period reflects the end of steam and transition into the diesel era  and I hope I’ve created a representation of a signal box in its twilight years. 

A small amount of drying brushing has also been completed to create mortar runs on the roof. 

56DCC56B-80CD-426E-BC54-3CECA2B9D459.jpeg.855c54c41ffe01e65971b34d800927a3.jpeg

E09DE684-CB02-40E3-9273-C07EA75B3393.jpeg.3493ac7230d9af739c6c69f1f550b17b.jpeg

5835160C-4943-48E2-89BC-1BE52415C831.jpeg.1d932bcc5b930d8f0d9cd636f6802c9e.jpeg

Regards,

Nick

Looking very good and despite the end being nigh, the weathering is nice and subtle. I particularly like the worn edges of the steps and the streaks on the roof.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

This morning I decided to remove the Dairy and put in place a temporary Grass bank to see how it looks.

TBH the scenery behind the Dairy was to good to waste and be hidden, and now I think / now I prefer this View.

The Milk Tanks can be unloaded in the Yard, direct to a Tanker.

IMG_8304.JPG.e1cdd0aaba011f01e0a7f6e8798b28b5.JPG

IMG_8301.JPG.4a7d120ce2298ef8cb8037a6caf2ca97.JPG

IMG_8302.JPG.4c3909d0075702b6d9c6634fd82db266.JPG

IMG_8303.JPG.12cb3442907ebf01f4f308f20c49c2ea.JPG

IMG_8299.JPG.2d3aa86aed98df75f7f084daed273f0d.JPG

IMG_8300.JPG.c43c9f5d54262d098f95573e625d42f0.JPG

I commend you Andy on how well you've blended the layout to the back scene. You always seem to nail it on each of your layouts. The scenic work looks excellent.

Luke

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Brinkly said:

Andy commissioned (I suppose that’s the right word!) to build a few structures for him. 

Over the past couple of days I’ve been painting various buildings up. 

I thought I would share the Ratio cattle dock first. This is pretty much done, or as far as I’m going to take it. The basic structure has had a significant amount of bracing added underneath in the form of plastic rod to ensure the surface didn’t drop. 

Each stone was painted individually using a range of Humbrol grey enamels and a mortar wash applied. 

The surface was painted in Humbrol 70 with various bricks picked out in Humbrol 82 and 100. A mortar wash was then applied. 

The fence posts were given a goat of Games Workshop white primer and then installed along with the wire. A dirty grey/black sprayed over the posts and wire using my Neo by Iwata airbrush. 

A small amount of dry brushing was then applied to the gates and the hinges painted back. I might do a small amount of ‘rust’ drying brushing over the coming days. 

6CDEDE4A-F8D3-4820-91E3-C7AC8905E6B1.jpeg.ca4392fd304304efc3b2acd0e85c3d03.jpeg

85033559-09CC-4A36-91E1-C33E8D822A52.jpeg.bb45c1eed3d929a1cbc78e87f8a86c6b.jpeg

Bit more to follow,

Nick

Didn't know whether to do a Craftsman clever or Thanks, but went for the thanks, that is absolutely amazing Nick. Far better than I could have done with my Hot Glue Gun, 🤣

Now, what was I saying about bringing it into the 70's and derelict with broken wire, bent gates and broken posts?😮  😊

• Funny 3

1 hour ago, pwr said:

In this case wouldn't the milk be loaded in the yard?  Most milk went from the provinces to larger cities/London. You might want to rethink that one Andy!!!! sorry to be pedantic

Paul R

Yes, I think your right so the Tanks will just form through Traffic.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

Yes indeed, you would need a dedicated TEAM of operators to last a 2 day show.😃

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

1 hour ago, Brinkly said:

Another structure Andy asked me to build and paint was the Ratio signal box. This comes in BR SR colours.

I primed the model in grey and the brush painted the stones in the same shades as the cattle dock. The cream is Humbrol 71 and brown Humbrol 160. 

Individual roof slates were picked out and then the rest of the roof airbrushed in a suitable shade. The chimney stack was brush painted and still needs a bit of weathering to tone it down and bring it all together. The windows are painted and just await installation. Handrails for the steps and gutters are the final job to fit. 

I airbrushed the whole structure in a dirty black, to represent soot and grim - Andy’s period reflects the end of steam and transition into the diesel era  and I hope I’ve created a representation of a signal box in its twilight years. 

A small amount of drying brushing has also been completed to create mortar runs on the roof. 

56DCC56B-80CD-426E-BC54-3CECA2B9D459.jpeg.855c54c41ffe01e65971b34d800927a3.jpeg

E09DE684-CB02-40E3-9273-C07EA75B3393.jpeg.3493ac7230d9af739c6c69f1f550b17b.jpeg

5835160C-4943-48E2-89BC-1BE52415C831.jpeg.1d932bcc5b930d8f0d9cd636f6802c9e.jpeg

Regards,

Nick

Spot on Nick, just what I wanted, and its now so like the O Gauge one I did as derelict on Seven Mills Sidings.

UDSCF2901.JPG.a57d9e64f160cadc4341575f6bc70417.JPG

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, LDM34046 said:

I commend you Andy on how well you've blended the layout to the back scene. You always seem to nail it on each of your layouts. The scenic work looks excellent.

Luke

Hi Luke, thanks very much, really appreciated. 👍

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1