Trewithen, BR/WR BLT.

Andrew P

1 hour ago, KNP said:

How about turning the cottage so it faces the road and sitting right on the edge as they did in the good old days…….no drive just a couple of gravel strips for vehicles in the grass down the side

Just thinking out loud….!

Thanks for your input and idea Kevin, food for thoughts, my problem is I like both the Front Porch and The Conservatory on the back.

I'll have a play, plus look at Ian, @Temeraire idea below.

• Friendly/supportive 3

32 minutes ago, Temeraire said:

Not convinced either Andy, further back nearer the bridge I think and raised up a bit towards the bridge height, just looks a little 'plonked' where it is sorry.

Almost back to its original site, which was opposite the Pub. 

Then maybe as Kevin said, the front door right on the Road, as they were back in the day.

IMG_8001.JPG.d2a5e3e8bebc3e97e3b2403b6385a3c8.JPG

• Like 10

Now your absolutely certain aren't you Mr P? It's just that I don't want to get up and do something else and then comeback in say five minutes and find it's changed again.

If we could connect you up to the national grid all our energy problems would be over.

Perhaps we should rename you. No longer are you Mr P your now Super P - faster than hot glue gun, er...... - I'll come back to you when I've thought of the rest.

• Funny 4

42 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Proper S&D with 3Fs, Johnson 0-4-4Ts, 2Ps etc with the odd fing off the SR

Std 4, Std 5, 4F,  7F, Jinty, West Country. Now were talking.🤣

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

Std 4, Std 5, 4F,  7F, Jinty, West Country. Now were talking.🤣

The big goods, the class 7 goods engine and the Jocko were included in the etc ..................otherwise far too modern.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

I agree the house is better near the road.

Might be nice to have some horses in the field perhaps with a small stable in the field

Don

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

The big goods, the class 7 goods engine and the Jocko were included in the etc ..................otherwise far too modern.

No, Modern is the blue 25 and 31 on Local Goods and a BLUE / GREY DMU on the Passenger Service. 

OR, If you want really modern, a Sprinter on the Passenger and DRS Class 68 on the Goods. 😆

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

No, Modern is the blue 25 and 31 on Local Goods and a BLUE / GREY DMU on the Passenger Service. 

OR, If you want really modern, a Sprinter on the Passenger and DRS Class 68 on the Goods. 😆

Too modern for the S&D.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, Donw said:

I agree the house is better near the road.

Might be nice to have some horses in the field perhaps with a small stable in the field

Don

I like the Horses and Stables idea Don, and I'm now thinking of an Agricultural Repair places down by the Provender Store, a bit like the one I had on Pencarne.

801976174_NonPenPLUSScenics063.JPG.59ae7f25dd244604f1b12283bf180c56.JPG

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Too modern for the S&D.

Highbridge is the New Skegness and needs a good Passenger Service.

Anyway, its not going S & D as the signaling would be all wrong and life is to short.

🤪

2 minutes ago, Dragonboy said:

Yes I’m afraid I’m in the not convinced camp Andy.

For me it’s blocking the view of trains coming through the bend.

Sorry

Not convinced on what, when it was down the bottom, or where it is now, up by the Pub?

Sorry confused of Amp Sher. 🙄

3 minutes ago, pwr said:

If you are going S and D don't forget the 9F

Paul R

Whoops YES INDEED Paul,  the staple diet of any worthwhile S & D Layout. 😊.

This has got me thinking of the next project.🙄👍.

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Highbridge is the New Skegness and needs a good Passenger Service.

Anyway, its not going S & D as the signaling would be all wrong and life is to short.

🤪

Have you seen the rail service Skeggy gets?

• Funny 2

I often wondered what types of traction would have been seen if the S and D hadn't closed.

I guess we would have intially had DMU's - probably  bubble cars on the locals.  class 120 DMU's on the through services from Bristol to Bournemouth with Westerns and Hymeks on the inter-regionals. These would have been replaced later on with 47's and 50's with a smattering of 33's. In due coourse I guess these would have been replaced by HST's and then Voyagers.

Locals would have moved to Sprinter types and then would probably have been woithdrawn woth many of the local stations closed.

So on the northern section it would have been Bath, Radstock and then possibly Evercreech Junction followed by Blandford and then Poole.

We may have then seen a number of station openings such as Midford and possibly Wellow.

Local freight traffic would have gone with only a smattering of air braked services but we may have seen aggregate and freightliner trains hauled by 66's especially if a curve had been built at Shepton Mallet to allow Mendip stone to travel northwards.

Just a few musings

Paul R

Edited by pwr
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

S&DJR in diesel days.........Mmmmmm. 

Staying with the period 1975-1985......

In an ideal world the S&D would have remained jointly controlled by the LMR and Southern Regions and not been interfered with by Swinedon. So, no Western Region locos.........Yay! 

Also, pits remained open and through passenger traffic continued......

So, Pines still ran but behind Peaks, a few of which were allocated to Bath Green Park as were a selection of Class 20s, 24s and 25s. Class 40s and 31s also worked in from the north. Services from Bristol were in the hands of class 117s or class 121s with freight handled by 31s or 37s. 

Shunting was firmly in the hands of 08s. 

Radstock still maintained an allocation of 08s and a few 03s for the coal fields. 

Coal traffic was in the hands of pairs of Class 20s. 

Local passenger services stayed in the hands of the 24s or 25s as the reliability of the  DMUs suffered with regular use over the Mendips. However, passenger services between Highbridge and Evercreech junction were worked by 121/122 Railcars with an occasional three car DMU on excursions to Burnham on summer Saturdays. 

Freight services to Highbridge were handled by Class 25s. 

Class 33s and 33/1s worked up from the Southern Region on passenger services with a couple of 33/0s based at Templecombe to assist with services reversing there. Some services were worked using push pull stock. A couple of 08s were also based at Templecombe. 

Just a thought....

Rob. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

S&DJR in diesel days.........Mmmmmm. 

Staying with the period 1975-1985......

In an ideal world the S&D would have remained jointly controlled by the LMR and Southern Regions and not been interfered with by Swinedon. So, no Western Region locos.........Yay! 

Also, pits remained open and through passenger traffic continued......

So, Pines still ran but behind Peaks, a few of which were allocated to Bath Green Park as were a selection of Class 20s, 24s and 25s. Class 40s and 31s also worked in from the north. Services from Bristol were in the hands of class 117s or class 121s with freight handled by 31s or 37s. 

Shunting was firmly in the hands of 08s. 

Radstock still maintained an allocation of 08s and a few 03s for the coal fields. 

Coal traffic was in the hands of pairs of Class 20s. 

Local passenger services stayed in the hands of the 24s or 25s as the reliability of the  DMUs suffered with regular use over the Mendips. However, passenger services between Highbridge and Evercreech junction were worked by 121/122 Railcars with an occasional three car DMU on excursions to Burnham on summer Saturdays. 

Freight services to Highbridge were handled by Class 25s. 

Class 33s and 33/1s worked up from the Southern Region on passenger services with a couple of 33/0s based at Templecombe to assist with services reversing there. Some services were worked using push pull stock. A couple of 08s were also based at Templecombe. 

Just a thought....

Rob. 

On the basis of your supposition it is quite possible that some of the overnight holiday trains became seasonal sleepers. Say a multi portion from Bournemouith to Bradford/Manchester joining/dividing at Birmingham? Room for MK1 sleepers on the layout then.

Also introduction of 56's on the coals in the early 1980's

We can also surmise the curve between the West of England main line at Bruton was put in providing a new set of services from Westbury to Highbridge

Paul R

Paul R

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

But you've not given it a lot of thought have you @NHY 581 😆

Nope. Just rattled it off. 🤓

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 3