Trewithen, BR/WR BLT.

Andrew P

Finally caught up. I turn away for a couple of days and he had only gone and knocked down the dairy. To be fair, I think you made the right decision. I was not a fan of that building. Perhaps the siding could lend itself to some abandoned wagons - Hornby sound van for instance! 

The layout continues to progress well and I thoroughly enjoyed video 10 which provided accompaniment to my evening meal on Saturday.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Cracking work on the buildings Nick 

I think you are right to remove the dairy. The siphon could be loaded with Churns at the platform or a loading bank. You could have the dairy further down the Wenford line, reached by a propelling move.  So the tanks are shunted down to the dairy with a brake van and the tanks pushed by the loco which returns with the van.  A separate trip down collects the loaded tanks to go away to the big city.  Or something like that.

As regards the simple 0 gauge layout. Sparrows Wharf did have a fiddle yard. A single line on a sector to which cassettes could be fitted. However quite often on your operating turn you could bring  a train in and shunt away. Perhaps run the railmotor in which meant moving the wagons out of the way and then complete the shunt after the railmotor left. You would just run the train out when someone would take over whille you had a comfort break and come back to find the same train had been brought back in and the previous shunt reversed. There was only five points I never got bored operating at shows.

Don

• Like 4

8 hours ago, andyram said:

Finally caught up. I turn away for a couple of days and he had only gone and knocked down the dairy. To be fair, I think you made the right decision. I was not a fan of that building. Perhaps the siding could lend itself to some abandoned wagons - Hornby sound van for instance! 

The layout continues to progress well and I thoroughly enjoyed video 10 which provided accompaniment to my evening meal on Saturday.

Thanks Andy, Glad you enjoyed the Video mate. Yes I'm glad the Dairies gone, its looking better without it there.

Hope you enjoy Video No 11 this week from the New Forest Show at Brockenhurst.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Donw said:

Cracking work on the buildings Nick 

I think you are right to remove the dairy. The siphon could be loaded with Churns at the platform or a loading bank. You could have the dairy further down the Wenford line, reached by a propelling move.  So the tanks are shunted down to the dairy with a brake van and the tanks pushed by the loco which returns with the van.  A separate trip down collects the loaded tanks to go away to the big city.  Or something like that.

As regards the simple 0 gauge layout. Sparrows Wharf did have a fiddle yard. A single line on a sector to which cassettes could be fitted. However quite often on your operating turn you could bring  a train in and shunt away. Perhaps run the railmotor in which meant moving the wagons out of the way and then complete the shunt after the railmotor left. You would just run the train out when someone would take over whille you had a comfort break and come back to find the same train had been brought back in and the previous shunt reversed. There was only five points I never got bored operating at shows.

Don

Sometimes, simple as in an Inglenook Shunting Plank can work.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, andyram said:

Perhaps the siding could lend itself to some abandoned wagons

Or somewhere to put a spare loco.

In the diesel era version it could stable a single car unit overnight . . .

Bye,

Paul.

• Like 3

Great idea to move that dairy Andy, gives back more perception of space.

You can load milk from a road tanker to the rail tankers via the goods shed, Torrington had this set up first time round.

There was a pumping station in the goods shed, used to transfer from the road tankers, to milk tankers, the milk was pumped into the rail tankers at low level, there was also an overhead wash pipe facility, for cleaning down the milk tankers.

At Torrington only 3 x milk tankers at a time could be loaded, so that gives you more scope for Tanker shoving.

picture provided below off the Internet 

Craig 

A909FB20-11EB-4AC2-8E32-EEE4DDF0BAC7.png

Edited by muddys-blues
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 7

7 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Engine shed, engine shed, engine shed 😆😆

Found this thread some time ago and I love it. However, I feel I have to be a real wet blanket here.

If you have an engine shed on a BLT you also have to have a reason for that engine to start its working day there. This could be the first passenger train of the day, but then you also need a carriage shed. It could be a return of empties, but the first down freight of the day could do that. For this layout it could be a loaded clay train, but the first down empty could return with that. This lovely layout is a place things go to, not start from.

And also, it's BR green diesel Era. From the 1930s onward the railway companies of Britain centralised their loco facilities in large depots, for the reasons of economies of scale. All sorts of things were cheaper and easier in a big depot - coaling from big coaling stages, ash disposal, sand drying, maintenance etc. The little engine sheds disappeared, replaced with big central depots and a change in operating patterns. 

I'm actually a bit sad about this reality. Having a little house on your layout for an engine to live in has a real charm about it. However, an engine shed is of limited use. An engine comes out of it at the start of the day and pops back into it at the end. In between it's no use at all.

IMHO there are better uses for a siding. Feel free to call me a wet blanket if you want to. 

Love this layout.

Best wishes.

Cam

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, CameronL said:

Found this thread some time ago and I love it. However, I feel I have to be a real wet blanket here.

If you have an engine shed on a BLT you also have to have a reason for that engine to start its working day there.

It's just a running joke as the trackplan is based on Bodmin but the dairy went sort of in the location where the shed and carriage siding was. 😀

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, CameronL said:

Having a little house on your layout for an engine to live in has a real charm about it.

An engine comes out of it at the start of the day and pops back into it at the end.

I think that's all the justification you need, really.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

A train of coaches could be stabled in the platform overnight.  If say there was an early workmans train running up to Wenford with a coach and a brake  perhaps returning as a mixed, that could warrant a loco stabled at Trewithen.   I believe that Penmaenmawr shed wasin use until the line through Dolgellau was closed. Trewithen would of course be just a subshed ( of ST Blazzey )  and would not cater for washouts or other services just stabling, water and coal.

That being said I am not that enamoured of an Engine shed the main need is water and that doesn't need a whole siding.  Otherwise the loco is not in their most of the time and how many wagons loads of coal does a loco use in a week?

I would want more use out of a siding.

Don

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, CameronL said:

If you have an engine shed on a BLT you also have to have a reason for that engine to start its working day there. This could be the first passenger train of the day, but then you also need a carriage shed. It could be a return of empties, but the first down freight of the day could do that. For this layout it could be a loaded clay train, but the first down empty could return with that. This lovely layout is a place things go to, not start from.

And also, it's BR green diesel Era. From the 1930s onward the railway companies of Britain centralised their loco facilities in large depots, for the reasons of economies of scale. All sorts of things were cheaper and easier in a big depot - coaling from big coaling stages, ash disposal, sand drying, maintenance etc. The little engine sheds disappeared, replaced with big central depots and a change in operating patterns. 

I'm actually a bit sad about this reality. Having a little house on your layout for an engine to live in has a real charm about it. However, an engine shed is of limited use. An engine comes out of it at the start of the day and pops back into it at the end. In between it's no use at all.

IMHO there are better uses for a siding. Feel free to call me a wet blanket if you want to. 

Love this layout.

Best wishes.

Cam

Hi Can, Welcome and thanks for your input, Yes the real Bodmin General, that this is VERY loosely based on had both a Shed and Carriage Siding, but lets not spoil history. 😅

1516483360_BodminGeneral.jpg.a70f6e1937ce730342e0a9744f6d3b55.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

42 minutes ago, Donw said:

A train of coaches could be stabled in the platform overnight.  If say there was an early workmans train running up to Wenford with a coach and a brake  perhaps returning as a mixed, that could warrant a loco stabled at Trewithen.   I believe that Penmaenmawr shed wasin use until the line through Dolgellau was closed. Trewithen would of course be just a subshed ( of ST Blazzey )  and would not cater for washouts or other services just stabling, water and coal.

That being said I am not that enamoured of an Engine shed the main need is water and that doesn't need a whole siding.  Otherwise the loco is not in their most of the time and how many wagons loads of coal does a loco use in a week?

I would want more use out of a siding.

Don

Hi Don, Yes "T" will have a Water Tower, Nick / @Brinkly has built it along with the other items seen above,(Signal Box and Cattle Dock) so it just needs a home when it arrives. I may put a Loco Coaling Platform somewhere as well. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, KNP said:

Can't beat a good old Pannier to brighten your day.....

Indeed Kevin, and as somebody somewhere on RM Web once said, A Pannier never offends, and that's very true.👍

• Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

6412 taken some time ago, and prior to Ballasting.

I mis-read that initially and thought is said "prior to Beeching".

I was right with some of the letters !

• Funny 3

11 minutes ago, Ray H said:

I mis-read that initially and thought is said "prior to Beeching".

I was right with some of the letters !

9 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Just not necessary in the right order!

I'm told a certain Mr B is not due to visit the Line. 😆  👍

At least, not for another couple of Months. 😮

• Like 1
  • Funny 1