Stafford Railway Circle Exhibition 24h & 25th September 2022 (NEW UPDATE AFTER RMWEB ISSUES)

ELTEL

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, MarkSG said:

Had a good day at the show today. The bigger hall certainly does make it much more spacious. Even the backpackers would have had plenty of room 😀

I did see a wheelie suitcase, which due to the space was no problem at all!

Paul.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, wagonbasher said:

If I were coming to Stafford, I wouldn’t start in Shrewsbury..  

Andy

I didn’t, but might have been better if I did ‘cos then Avanti wouldn’t have been able to cancel my train.  One day someone might realise that offering a contract where it’s financially advantageous to cut staff back so far that the service is unsustainable isn’t the cleverest demonstration of good government.

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

A good day at the show today (despite my late arrival).  The layouts I spent longest with were not those that I expected!  All the more reason for a varied set of layouts.  Well done SRC.

Paul.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Excellent few hours at the show this afternoon. New hall is far better, great range of layouts and blessed to have a catch-up and good old natter with Dennis Lovett who encouraged me as a teenage modeller almost 50 years ago! 

Well done and thank you to everyone involved for your hard work behind the scenes.

• Like 2

An excellent day at the show. Lots to see. Copper Wort is stunning - and wins "The Layout Phil Would Like To Build" prize, but there were a few others in the running.

Trade also good. I wasn't looking for anything, but I still managed to leave money with the second-hand stall. And there was something calling me on Anoraks Anonymous...

Merlin1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators

There's undoubtedly a few experiences to be learnt on making best use of the space and bring more in from the periphery but I think the move is excellent and the content very good, well done all! Nice to have plenty of room to enjoy circulating though. Stafford has won a promotion to the premier league of shows.

Lovely to catch up with so many friends.

• Like 9
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

There's undoubtedly a few experiences to be learnt on making best use of the space and bring more in from the periphery but I think the move is excellent and the content very good, well done all! Nice to have plenty of room to enjoy circulating though.

The side hall possibly wasn't needed, but it was nice to have some stuff upstairs given that you had to go upstairs anyway for the cafe. Maybe the side hall could be used for some "fun" stuff that isn't necessarily detailed modelling, such as Lego trains or a G scale layout. 

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

A good day at the show today (despite my late arrival).  The layouts I spent longest with were not those that I expected!  All the more reason for a varied set of layouts.  Well done SRC.

Paul.

You weren’t that late, no thanks to avanti cancelling loads of trains this morning, nice to chat to you on the bus up to the venue

I came straight from the end of my job, I was 2 hours late back to crewe as the first couple of trains off carlisle were cancelled so I decided to go straight to Stafford rather than go home so was in my uniform which meant lots of people off here recognised or asked if I was me! 

an enjoyable show, nice to back at one again after a few years gap thanks to lockdowns, felt a bit strange arriving there at 10:20ish to what appeared to be quite an empty hall, you then realised its actually because everything was nicely spaced out and there was a side room and balcony, the only bit I found odd about it was the side room it was easy to accidentally approach certain stands/stalls from the rear as there were no barriers behind them (the line of stands with man making totems) 

cooper wort was lovely, euxton junction I enjoyed with its prototypical length trains and the vast N gauge one in the side room with the docks, roundhouse etc that’s name escapes me was stunning, so much to see on there

trader wise, plenty to see and buy, footplate relieved me of a few quid thanks to the shorty Salmons, being able to put them side by side to the proper length version was handy to see just how much different they are, not a lot in my eyes so 3 were bought as well as a BDA to convert to a lobster and DCC chipped warship

the unknown warrior stand had a damaged Heljan 009 L+B loco for £25, a handy source of spares or a possible restoration with a new plasticard front running plate and buffer beam

Noticed The locomotion stand had a single Hornby purple West Country for £269 which was tempting but couldn’t justify it really, they also had a couple of the accurascale BR blue 9009 ‘Alycidon’ and green 55002 limited editions 

well done to all involved 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Me and my son went Saturday and enjoyed the show tremendously.

Lots to see, buy and enjoy.

I liked all the layouts but these were my picks...

There were a few "none-British" themed layouts and I made a point of stopping to view all of them.

20220924_120536.jpg.701cfc3911d894d505ebd7527a9e9d74.jpg

For some reason, this little layout "jumped out at me" with its' visual effects. I can't, and never have, seen in 3D but the perspective here had me mesmerised!

20220924_121048.jpg.5e82048a3314d3cf6b9e37522bb18b8c.jpg

I just loved the sound of that little No.70 Loco!

20220924_121104.jpg.a49f76a8082ff35952a856c0188ca945.jpg

Lots of little layouts too.

My son was interested in comparing the modelled (and real) "water" that was on various layouts.

20220924_124047.jpg.662ff692eea8d499a78f60385c9274a0.jpg

This was excellent with its' "in your face" catenary that, on closer inspection, wasn't! Very well done indeed.

20220924_125055.jpg.f081a8dc6274971134e60dd41bbfdaf0.jpg

This was amazing and caught your eye from quite a distance away.

My son loved it and commented that he is sure he has been there on a school trip!

20220924_125817.jpg.d62ec3b4603d646f715b6e9431e02a03.jpg

Like I say, I enjoyed these.

20220924_130205.jpg.b43e4040d943e27407d73cf25250f377.jpg

As Jim says "this was vast"!

Just so much to see here. I wonder if the concept, for this layout, was to incorporate every aspect of modelling British railways!

Just so much to see.

20220924_131403.jpg.a4ebddcf253a14c35ea7c400efcda7d7.jpg

It reminded me of "Heaton Lodge Jn.", obviously in a different way but commonly, for the shear amount of work done.

20220924_131510.jpg.0b66591fb038c4940ca2736410ed0f09.jpg

As I say, lots of layouts were "best" but for different reasons (not all I have pictured here either), but this ticked the following:-

Best subtle lighting,

fantastic weathering,

depth of detail,

great sense of purpose,

and it was just so believable.

Loved-it.

20220924_115358.jpg.817fc6fde520f49c67400b884ae06caa.jpg

I had some good "chats" and spent quite a bit on food! (Good, but oh-so-slow!)

I bought an L&Y overhead signalbox kit from MMR Model Kits, where it turns out, are based just a couple of miles from where I live.

Can't wait for the next one.

Kev.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

And lo - Olddudders did get to the show! A smashing 3 hours. Excellent spacious venue, lots of layouts, with very diverse themes and scales, generous number of trading stands, some of which saw the colour of my money, demo stands, club stands - and good, affordable catering. The free bus from the station was a boon, too. An exemplary show - well done chaps!

I also renewed acquaintance with several senior RMwebbers, including Too Many Spams, Mudmagnet, St Simon & Graham Muz, as well as giggling like a couple of schoolboys with Old Gringo. I was also introduced to Eltel, who modestly disclaimed credit for the show, but has been "front of house" on here. 

A fine way to spend Sunday!

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

From The vantage point that me and Mrs Spams commanded on the balcony, we looked down on the hall, from the grand national style tape cutting to let the show growers in on Saturday morning to the Sunday afternoon shufflers that don’t want to go home.

Chris said there is a real buzz.

I said there are four of them running to the station and back.

Great show, Stafford for a long time boxed with the big boys, they have just stepped up to the heavy weights.  

Well done Stafford

Andy

• Like 6

As others have said, a great show. I spent over 4 hours on a single trip around the halls just visiting each stand once, no breaks for food/drink or any other comforts. Superb value for money. And so much space! It was odd being able to wander freely around an exhibition, I've got used to crowded, narrow aisles. If an outcome of Covid is more spacious events then that may be a positive - I bought my Warley ticket today (cheers ChrisM) so it will be interesting to see if it is any different at the NEC.

Thanks to everyone who made today possible.

Graham

On 23/09/2022 at 21:07, AY Mod said:

No snow observed, it's safe to travel.

I had to defrost the car this morning, does that count?? First of the season.

To echo others, I thoroughly enjoyed the show and it was great to chat to few folk at the MIOG stand. Great to be back at Stafford. 

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, wagonbasher said:

From The vantage point that me and Mrs Spams commanded on the balcony, we looked down on the hall, from the grand national style tape cutting to let the show growers in on Saturday morning to the Sunday afternoon shufflers that don’t want to go home.

Chris said there is a real buzz.

I said there are four of them running to the station and back.

Great show, Stafford for a long time boxed with the big boys, they have just stepped up to the heavy weights.  

Well done Stafford

Andy

Mrs Spams?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Can only really echo what others before have said. Great show. Huge well done to the organising team! Good variety of layouts and traders. Also great to catch up with friends, some of whom I’ve not seen since before COVID. A very pleasant way to spend a Sunday afternoon. Looking forward to seeing how the show develops in the new hall over the next couple of years. 
Cheers. 
Bill.