Well, we did say it would be nice to see the E2....

John M Upton

You know, I am a REAL BIG FAN of the SECR and have striven to COLLECT EVERYTHING SECR....

But this one REALLY turns me off and has brought my "I MUST COLLECT EVERYTHING SECR" days to an END!

Thanks Hornby for curing my psychological problem.

And there are people on FB saying "oh this is so wonderful Hornby... what a superb way to start a railway...". Did Hornby pay them to say that? 

And Hornby's marketing, oh dear oh dear oh dear:

The South East and Chatham Railway would have utilised such engines on their lines throughout Kent,

and the locomotives would continue into service with the Southern Railway after the Grouping Act. Inside cylinder tank engines would have seen most of their use on the SECR hauling freight in and around London, with their small coal bunkers all but relegating them from straying too far away from the yards they would be stabled in.

Such locomotives would stay in use with the SR and subsequently British Railways until the early 1960s, having proved themselves to be very useful engines indeed.

R, R1, T and P class, yep hard pressed to think whether any were seen ALL around Kent. The T class might loosely pass for it, without the tank extensions. Inside cylinder TANK engines pulling freight all around London with there small coal bunkers ??? Bonkers more like... 

And that last phrase. Go on Hornby, just say "Really Useful engines indeed".

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

You know, there are a number of items in the Thomas range that would make for interesting semi-freelance budget items - but not Thomas and Percy, seeing as Hornby already has plenty of budget 0-6-0s and 0-4-0s that represent actual prototypes. Also Railroad prices have risen far beyond inflation - £67 for a reused tooling pushing 45 is taking the mickey.

Also:

Such locomotives would stay in use with the SR and subsequently British Railways until the early 1960s, having proved themselves to be very useful engines indeed.

Very subtle, Hornby.

• Agree 1

• John M Upton changed the title to Well, we did say it would be nice to see the E2....
5 hours ago, JSpencer said:

And Hornby's marketing, oh dear oh dear oh dear:

The South East and Chatham Railway would have utilised such engines on their lines throughout Kent,

and the locomotives would continue into service with the Southern Railway after the Grouping Act. Inside cylinder tank engines would have seen most of their use on the SECR hauling freight in and around London, with their small coal bunkers all but relegating them from straying too far away from the yards they would be stabled in.

R, R1, T and P class, yep hard pressed to think whether any were seen ALL around Kent. The T class might loosely pass for it, without the tank extensions. Inside cylinder TANK engines pulling freight all around London with there small coal bunkers ??? Bonkers more like... 

And that last phrase. Go on Hornby, just say "Really Useful engines indeed".

Most of the 0-6-0T locos in Kent spent their days working international express passenger trains!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

They did. LBSCR umber was released decades ago, as the initial livery.

I know that was the original livery - my query is why they didnt do it now. 

• RMweb Premium

I think I have the heavily stripped remnants of half a dozen of the original LBSC release gathering dust in a forgotten box around here somewhere...

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, JohnR said:

Why did they not produce this in the suitable LBSCR livery? Seems an obvious choice, rather than this fiction. 

You don’t understand. “SE&CR” here stands for “Sodor Ersatz & Collectibles Reissue”.

Richard

• Funny 10

18 hours ago, JohnR said:

Why did they not produce this in the suitable LBSCR livery? Seems an obvious choice, rather than this fiction. 

Because it's had so many alterations made to make it look like TTTE, it's no longer a LBSC E2?

Worth noting that Hornby haven't called it an E2, others have done that.

I can't understand the hostility towards it though. Rapido get applauded for making an APT-E in fictional liveries aimed at adults costing £480, but Hornby get ridiculed for making a toy aimed at small kids in a fictional livery.

I think some people need to get out more.

Jason

• Like 4
  • Agree 6
  • Funny 2

49 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Because it's had so many alterations made to make it look like TTTE, it's no longer a LBSC E2?

There aren't that many alterations. In total, there are:

• extended side tanks (present on some E2s)
  • splashers
  • talller funnel
  • whistle instead of safety valve
  • additional side windows on cab
  • taller bunker rails

As a budget item it could pass as an E2 easily - that is if it was a budget item, as opposed to costing £67.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, eldomtom2 said:

There aren't that many alterations. In total, there are:

• extended side tanks (present on some E2s)
  • splashers
  • talller funnel
  • whistle instead of safety valve
  • additional side windows on cab
  • taller bunker rails

As a budget item it could pass as an E2 easily - that is if it was a budget item, as opposed to costing £67.

I may be wrong in saying so, but I believe the cab windows have also been squared off for it's service on the Isle of Sodor while the Hornby LBSC E2 had more prototypical rounded windows.

Many will love it and just a few sneer.I suppose we should ask "Is Hornby bonkers or its critics ?".It looks fun and maybe that is the first priority... not accuracy .Every fast buck  product produces money for ,perhaps, an out standing one that sells to far fewer .A new LBSCR version   would be even better .

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, JohnR said:

I would have thought a far cleverer choice would have been Caley pale blue with a big running number on the side tank .  But maybe Hornby are currently a tad wary of the legal profession snapping at their heels?🐕

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

If Hornby did it in LBSC livery,they would be accused of creating a coarse model which was incomparable to other locos such as the E4,Terrier and Marsh Atlantic's,whereas this livery defines it as intended as a toy for kids 

• Agree 2

On 13/04/2022 at 07:53, GWR-fan said:

Every day Hornby has to keep reminding us that it is really just a "toy" train manufacturer. 

Meanwhile, in other areas of RMWeb, people are salivating over freelance passenger coaches.

What was that about toy train manufacturers?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2