Hornby West Country in purple (Elizabeth II)

AY Mod

1 hour ago, 60800 said:

I've decided to go ahead and order - we have until Autumn to wait anyway. 

And you have the luxury of being able to change your mind. Your order is in so you can have one if you like.

I have taken the same route. When there were rumours afoot about them doing this I thought "I'll have one of these" (would have had the purple Deltic had it been in era). Whilst I wouldn't necessarily say it looks good I do have a gravitation towards one offs and odd paint jobs.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, Brian Indge said:

Well according to the SVR shop, their initial allocation has now sold out.

Same on the Hornby website. 205 have been sold (in the past 7 days), gives an idea about the popularity . Still doubting, not my era nor area, but it has something. But if it's already sold out, the choise is made for me. Maybe for the better. 

Edited by Johan DC
New info

1 hour ago, Brian Indge said:

Well according to the SVR shop, their initial allocation has now sold out.

Whatever others might think, this model is celebrating a piece of history that is unlikely to be seen again.

Not in the lifetime of anyone living!

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Philip Jackson said:

404 error here

To say nothing of the fact it is not an MN!!! And people get annoyed if one says all GWR locos look the same...

I would be surprised if Kernow were advising it for pre-order given they have basically said they have stopped taking Hornby pre-orders

Edited by G-BOAF

4 hours ago, 60800 said:

Not really. If it were announced any earlier then the final scheme would have been given away before the loco appeared. 

As it stands we've now found out what colour the nameplates are going to be from this announcement.

Cheers,

You obviously didn't work out what the date was 20 days ago

• Like 1

I would be interested to know how many purple West Country locomotives Hornby have made and what the customers are going to do with them when they have bought them.

The only place that the customers can run "Queen Elizabeth ll" without being criticised by the RM Pedants is on a present day model of the Severn Valley Railway. Members of the South Dorset Modellers have got models of Highley and Arley stations and Victoria Bridge but I am not sure if many other people are modelling the Severn Valley.

Perhaps they will end up in collector's showcases or as Rule 1 engines. I would be interested to see some pictures of the locomotive running on RM members' layouts.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, G-BOAF said:

404 error here

To say nothing of the fact it is not an MN!!! And people get annoyed if one says all GWR locos look the same...

I would be surprised if Kernow were advising it for pre-order given they have basically said they have stopped taking Hornby pre-orders

KMRC were indeed advertising it this morning but is now sold out to pre orders. 
(ps I will tease the boss about not knowing his West Country from a Merchant Navy!) 

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Robin Brasher said:

I would be interested to know how many purple West Country locomotives Hornby have made and what the customers are going to do with them when they have bought them.

As per the original announcement it's 1500. 

Edit: 22/04 Hornby increased run to 2500

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Philip Jackson said:

The Hornby site is weird, stuff seems to go unavailable and then becomes available again. Whether it's that they don't allocate all stock to the website, or if it's cancellations I don't know.

1 hour ago, Graham_Muz said:

(ps I will tease the boss about not knowing his West Country from a Merchant Navy!) 

this being the same boss who is responsible for much of KMRC's excellent commissions. In that case I'm surprised we didn't get a London Underground deep tube lift instead of the gate stock!!! 😛

Glad to hear they are taking some pre-orders again, and hope all allocated actually get supplied by Hornby

3 hours ago, Robin Brasher said:

The only place that the customers can run "Queen Elizabeth ll" without being criticised by the RM Pedants is on a present day model of the Severn Valley Railway. Members of the South Dorset Modellers have got models of Highley and Arley stations and Victoria Bridge but I am not sure if many other people are modelling the Severn Valley.

Perhaps they will end up in collector's showcases or as Rule 1 engines. I would be interested to see some pictures of the locomotive running on RM members' layouts.

Showcase and the occasional rule 1, I was told it was better than the other platinum jubilee souvenirs that are around !! and a Platinum Jubilee is rather unusual so would be nice to have one. So no need to smuggle this one in !!

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, E100 said:

If anyone knows of stock please do whack it on here. Only just found this has been announced but did want one.

KJB models had some allocation, not sure if it is still the case.

Edited by TomScrut

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

fire up the air smoother - he'll soon learn his mistake 🤣

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

KJB models had some allocation, not sure if it is still the case.

Many thanks - I’ll give them a call when they open tomorrow. 

Other options are welcome too!

• Like 1