Hornby West Country in purple (Elizabeth II)

AY Mod

• Moderators

Hornby to launch limited edition model of the Severn Valley Railway’s ‘purple loco’

Hornby's 00 gauge model of 'Elizabeth II'.jpg

On the day HM The Queen celebrates her 96th birthday, the Severn Valley Railway announced that it is partnering with leading British model company Hornby to produce a limited edition collector’s model of a locomotive with a very special royal connection. The limited edition of 1,500 models will feature SR West Country Class 34027 ‘Taw Valley’, the locomotive that will soon appear in a unique purple and silver livery in honour of The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee, renamed as ‘Elizabeth II’. The leading heritage railway sparked worldwide excitement in February this year when it revealed its plans for the head-turning repaint. The name ‘Elizabeth II’ was selected by public vote, and has received royal approval via the Cabinet Office. Additionally, the loco will be renumbered as ‘70’ to reflect the seven decades of Her Majesty’s reign.

“We knew we’d cause a stir by painting this wonderful heritage locomotive in such a striking colour,” said the SVR’s head of visitor experience Michael Dunn. “It’s a huge seal of approval that Hornby now want to reflect this bold move and we’re delighted to be working with such a prestigious partner. There’s already a huge amount of interest from visitors who want to see the ‘purple loco’ for themselves and we can’t wait to welcome them to the railway so they can travel behind it.” Hornby’s marketing and product development director Simon Kohler added, “Hornby have had a strong relationship with the Severn Valley Railway for a number of years, and the opportunity to produce this model is the absolute pinnacle of our association.  We’re thrilled to be doing this, and are certain this will be a hit with model railway enthusiasts and collectors and also those who simply want to celebrate such a momentous event in royal history. On a personal level, I’m thrilled to be producing a model that’s not green or black, just for a change!”

The Hornby 00 gauge model will be issued in a strictly limited edition of 1,500 and is available to pre-order from svrshop.co.uk, Hornby.com and leading Hornby stockists.

The locomotive will be officially renamed as ‘Elizabeth II’ on Thursday 2nd June at the start of the SVR’s Platinum Jubilee weekend event. It will run in its purple livery, carrying its new name and number for a limited time, after which the SVR will return it to its original name, number and livery. The SVR and Hornby will donate a proportion of the profits from the sale of ‘Elizabeth II’ to The Patron’s Fund, which supports the charitable organisations across the UK and the Commonwealth for which Her Majesty acts as a Patron.

'Elizabeth II' in the SVR's loco yard at Bridgnorth. Jack Boskett.jpg

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

The shade of purple chosen could have been more "regal", but it is what it is and well done to the SVR in commemorating the Platinum Jubilee in this manner.  No surprise that there's a "Limited Edition" Hornby model...

£273.99 (including postage) duly spent at the SVR online shop.  

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Not against the idea but the chosen mauve* is hideous. Too light for purple.

*As on the SVR.

Edited by john new
Added the * footnote.
  • Agree 1

Who knew there would come a day where Hornby gets the colour wrong (or in this instance right to the original spec) and makes their model look better than the real thing? 

I'm tempted, but even with my club discount it's still £240. Hmm. 

Cheers,

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, 60800 said:

Who knew there would come a day where Hornby gets the colour wrong (or in this instance right to the original spec) and makes their model look better than the real thing? 

I'm tempted, but even with my club discount it's still £240. Hmm. 

Cheers,

Is that collector club members that get a discount? How does one get that? 

*edit: Didn't realise it was also on Hornby's website. 

Edited by Pre Grouping fan

23 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Is that collector club members that get a discount? How does one get that? 

*edit: Didn't realise it was also on Hornby's website. 

Sorry, yes I should have stated that is the Hornby club discount.

Cheers,

• Like 1

I wonder how the model will turn out. No doubt it will have sold out before we find out if it’s shiny or not and if it has a deeper colour than the original. To use 3rd Rail Exile’s word, the shade used in the previews is more “regal”. The picture of the real thing in sunlight is altogether more startling. “Cerise”, mused daughter, on watching the video where the natural light is rather more subdued. I think I’ll give it a miss – too many imponderables. Hurrah for the SVR, though and yes, quite a change from black and green!

• Agree 1

An ideal "collectors" loco, I doubt that there's that many modellers of the SVR who'll want it, or that it'll be desirable for the Rule 1 fraternity.

I'm sure it'll sell out, even at the RRP.  Perhaps a magazine will offer one as a luckydip prize.

Of course, examples will turn up at eye-watering prices on ebay!

• Agree 3

I've decided to go ahead and order - we have until Autumn to wait anyway. 

Knowing my luck, by the time I've finished dithering and have made my mind up it will be sold out, so I've taken the safe option.

Cheers,

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

I do wonder if that is down to the angle of the light because in an earlier picture it looked much darker (and rather impressive)

Might be but it seemed to be the same light shade in the YouTube video I watched.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Graham108 said:

This announcement is 20 days too late

Not really. If it were announced any earlier then the final scheme would have been given away before the loco appeared. 

As it stands we've now found out what colour the nameplates are going to be from this announcement.

Cheers,

• Agree 1