RMweb Premium - No Google Ads

Message added by AY Mod,

If you are still seeing Google ads or pop-up videos after registering for Premium please do make sure you have followed Steps 1-4 in the first post - https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/171928-rmweb-premium-no-google-ads/

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, AY Mod said:

It's worth subtly mentioning...

READ THE INSTRUCTIONS IN THE FIRST POST!

A fair number sign up and don't do step 2, or if they have they haven't told me there's an issue.

And then read step 4.

Or just go back and read 'em all again, there's only four. ;)

Rule 7 - there is NO rule 7...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've followed the 4 steps to heaven, payment went through OK, I've cleared browser cache and cookies, but still no RMWeb Premium in the themes list; Chrome  on Win10.  No great hurry but if it could be looked at at some point, cheers.

• RMweb Premium

Is it just because everybody is on holiday or is RMWEB faster since I removed the adds? 

I enjoy the speed from quite a time ago. Well worth the money....

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, spamcan61 said:

I've followed the 4 steps to heaven, payment went through OK, I've cleared browser cache and cookies, but still no RMWeb Premium in the themes list; Chrome  on Win10.  No great hurry but if it could be looked at at some point, cheers.

Did you run step 2; the integration?

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, Ian Morgan said:

Malwarebytes does not like your 'Integration' page:

I haven't seen any issue at this end with Malwarebytes. Are you using Edge or IE there Ian?

I have manually switched you to Premium anyway now.

• RMweb Premium

First of all a big "Thank You" for introducing this option, it's money well spent.

One problem I am having is that when I open any thread in the Accurascale section, the old page layout including the "This day in history" pop up is displayed. I have cleared browser cache and history and signed in to RMWeb again but it hasn't worked. The "Themes" drop down at the bottom of the page is greyed out and doesn't allow me to change it to Premium. I'm using Chrome on Windows 10.

If I've missed this problem in this or any other threads I apologise but wonder if anyone has had a similar problem.

Thanks,

Dougals

Edited by drjcontroller

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, drjcontroller said:

If I've missed this problem in this or any other threads I apologise but wonder if anyone has had a similar problem.

Yes, as mentioned in my OP some elements may still still display in some of the sponsored subforums until that's fixed by one of our ad/tech gurus.

• Informative/Useful 2

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Torper said:

Malwarebytes is preventing me getting to the integration page on the basis that it may contain a trojan - that's using Firefox and Edge.

I can see the transaction went through so I've manually enabled the Premium access now. Head to the bottom of the page now and select RMweb Premium from the Themes. I'll report the malwarebytes alert as that's two now.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Although no doubt Warners will rightly regard the specifics as commerciality sensitive data, in time it would be interesting to see some stats as to how this new offering is performing. While there were more than a few people moaning about the adverts it would be interesting to know how many folk are willing to put money where their mouth is and sign up now the option is there.

• Agree 2

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

Although no doubt Warners will rightly regard the specifics as commerciality sensitive data, in time it would be interesting to see some stats as to how this new offering is performing. While there were more than a few people moaning about the adverts it would be interesting to know how many folk are willing to put money where their mouth is and sign up now the option is there.

The answer from this end is "pretty good really so far" although I've noted some think it should always be free and without adverts - just who does pay for free then?

My internal point of contention has been that this option should have been able at the time of, or in advance of, the deployment of Google ads last summer.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

My internal point of contention has been that this option should have been able at the time of, or in advance of, the deployment of Google ads last summer.

No. Waiting for people to be thoroughly fed up with them has clearly paid off!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

I can see the transaction went through so I've manually enabled the Premium access now. Head to the bottom of the page now and select RMweb Premium from the Themes. I'll report the malwarebytes alert as that's two now.

It's at least three as I  also had Malwarebytes blocking the integration page due to a trojan, using Chrome on my PC.  I had to whitelist rmweb.co,uk and then Malwarebytes let me progress, so since Wednesday I'm a happy Premium subscriber.

Edited by MikeB
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

😆

It's not the way I like to go about things though. Steve will be happy that I am not bending his ear several times a week about it now.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, MikeB said:

It's at least three as I  also had Malwarebytes blocking the integration page due to a trojan, using Chrome on my PC.  I had to whitelist rmweb.co,uk and then Malwarebytes let me progress, so since Wednesday I'm a happy Premium subscriber.

Thanks Mike, I've escalated it. It may be because we couldn't host the integration script on Invision's platform with the RMweb.co.uk domain and had to do a fix via another domain, RMweb.uk - Malwarebytes may find the linking of different domains suspicious.

RMweb.uk will be safe to whitelist if necessary.

• RMweb Premium

Hello Andy

I have a new one, switched to Premium layout and the activity thingy has gone. Check phone, the same.

Using Firefox if that is any help

How do I get content I posted in back?

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, MJI said:

I have a new one, switched to Premium layout and the activity thingy has gone. Check phone, the same.

Yup, previously noted and under examination.

These links may help in the interim...

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/discover/content-posted/

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/discover/content-started/

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/discover/unread/

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Given Warners are a commercial company and didn't invest in RMweb just to lose money I can understand their resistance.

In some senses it makes perfect business sense to launch the most expensive package first as there will always be some who can be persuaded to take it up in the absence of anything else (naturally the hope is that some of them will stick with the most expensive package either because they have grown to like whats on offer or they forget to go back and revise their outgoings in the same way as insurance companies hope you don't go round comparing prices and just automatically pay the renewal).

However you get to a point where the most expensive package has recruited as many members as it was going to get - and if nothing is done then the user base could diminish over time as the advertising becomes more and more intrusive*. Now some would say that point was reached months ago - but again only Warners really have the data to know if the lack of a middle option was potentially endangering the RMweb brand and as such causing a reduced rate of return on their investment. If it were that it might explain why they have finally given in to Andy Y's consistent nagging over the issue.

* Not Warners fault I hasten to add - but the more people go round installing add blockers or restrict what their browsers can show the less effective (and thus money generating) adverts become so they have to be even more intrusive to compensate and generate the same monetary rerun. NOTHING IN LIFE is truly 'Free' and its about time society at large woke up to that fact...

Edited by phil-b259
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1