RMweb Premium - No Google Ads

Message added by AY Mod,

If you are still seeing Google ads or pop-up videos after registering for Premium please do make sure you have followed Steps 1-4 in the first post - https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/171928-rmweb-premium-no-google-ads/

• RMweb Premium

After reading all the posts on here, I thought I had it cracked! I followed instructions and advice and got to checkout. I filled in the form and “What?” It was rejected - our address has no street, so no “street name” so I did my usual thing and put in the name of our terrace. It did not like it! After a bit more juggling, it was happy to accept  “locality” (name of our village) as the street name. The name of the terrace eventually defaulted to “house name” on the adjacent delivery form when I typed in the postcode at the third attempt and it all went smoothly thereafter.

So thanks to Andy and to contributors to the thread highlighting problems and resolutions. Sorry to add yet another problem but, if it helps someone else, all to the good.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, southern42 said:

After reading all the posts on here, I thought I had it cracked! I followed instructions and advice and got to checkout. I filled in the form and “What?” It was rejected - our address has no street, so no “street name” so I did my usual thing and put in the name of our terrace. It did not like it! After a bit more juggling, it was happy to accept  “locality” (name of our village) as the street name. The name of the terrace eventually defaulted to “house name” on the adjacent delivery form when I typed in the postcode at the third attempt and it all went smoothly thereafter.

Its a problem where web form creators assume everyone has a standard address, which is way off the mark

Often websites have a postcode address finder, you put the postcode in and it gives a list of addresses to choose one from which the autofills the rest.

When I lived in a house in the Pennine Fellside, there was no street name as the bit of track we were on was not named and the house had a name but no number.

So the postal address was: House Name, Village, County, Postcode. (being a small village most houses had the same postcode)

It really confused delivery drivers, as their SatNav couldn't give them a precise location.

Knock on door: "Could you tell me where such and such house is please?"🙂

In Keswick our street had a mix of numbered and named houses all with the same postcode, the named houses (sometimes several in a row) were interspersed with the numbered ones, which also had gaps in the numbering as well.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, melmerby said:

Its a problem where web form creators assume everyone has a standard address, which is way off the mark

Often websites have a postcode address finder, you put the postcode in and it gives a list of addresses to choose one from which the autofills the rest.

When I lived in a house in the Pennine Fellside, there was no street name as the bit of track we were on was not named and the house had a name but no number.

So the postal address was: House Name, Village, County, Postcode. (being a small village most houses had the same postcode)

It really confused delivery drivers, as their SatNav couldn't give them a precise location.

In Keswick our street had a mix of numbered and named houses all with the same postcode, the named houses (sometimes several in a row) were interspersed with the numbered ones, which also had gaps in the numbering as well.

Maybe it is time to include what3words on these forms. Whether it would make much difference in some parts, remains to be seen.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, melmerby said:

My parents' house has a 5-line address (House Name, Road, Village, Post Town, County, Postcode), which confuses a lot of the systems too. 

Mrs C comes from rural Poland, where houses tend to be numbered in the order they were built, and many rural lanes are un-named - so the address can be "House Number, Village, Postcode, County" - but houses next door to one another can have wildly different numbers. Easy for the local postman who knows it, and probably knows most of the residents too, but almost impossible for the various courier firms! 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Hello Andy, sorry to be a nuisance but I've upgraded to premium which is acknowledged on my profile but I'm still seeing Google ads, and the RM header says ad version. I've cleared my cookies and logged back in so it can't be that. I will admit to being a bit of a pratt as far as computers are concerned so I may well be missing something simple.

Alex.

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Alex Duckworth said:

Hello Andy, sorry to be a nuisance but I've upgraded to premium which is acknowledged on my profile but I'm still seeing Google ads, and the RM header says ad version. I've cleared my cookies and logged back in so it can't be that. I will admit to being a bit of a pratt as far as computers are concerned so I may well be missing something simple.

Alex.

Have you changed your 'Theme' to premium? right down at the bottom of the page:-

image.png

Edited by spamcan61
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, Alex Duckworth said:

Still got the ads though.

It may have been an issue with Secondary Groups as referenced earlier; hopefully fixed now.

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, AY Mod said:

It's a wonder any of us manage to build a kit. 😆

The thing is that we build kits without reading the instructions but that often leads to problems with anything to do with a website. 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

I tried to join yesterday and am now lost in computer land.

I am sure that the payment was made and have received a confirmation e-mail about registering and have gone into the Themes bit and clicked that, however, the green bar detailing the new service and adverts are still on the screen today.

I am not surprised as I am not too hot on the IT stuff.

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, 60027Merlin said:

now lost in computer land.

You did better than some! The transaction went through, you ran the integration process and you changed theme. I just had to tweak the Secondary Groups as referenced earlier so you should be fully sorted now

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

You did better than some! The transaction went through, you ran the integration process and you changed theme. I just had to tweak the Secondary Groups as referenced earlier so you should be fully sorted now

Now firing on all cylinders, many thanks Andy.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

The green banner has changed to orange which has mysteriously allowed me to access this topic. I couldn’t get in here before due to what the rail industry calls “A problem currently under investigation”

@AY Mod 😀 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Gwiwer said:

The green banner has changed to orange which has mysteriously allowed me to access this topic.

No wonder there's stuff I never work out how to fix! How utterly bizarre, there is no logical explanation anywhere in that one.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 01/06/2022 at 01:07, Nick C said:

My parents' house has a 5-line address (House Name, Road, Village, Post Town, County, Postcode), which confuses a lot of the systems too. 

Mrs C comes from rural Poland, where houses tend to be numbered in the order they were built, and many rural lanes are un-named - so the address can be "House Number, Village, Postcode, County" - but houses next door to one another can have wildly different numbers. Easy for the local postman who knows it, and probably knows most of the residents too, but almost impossible for the various courier firms! 

The fix is dead easy on long rural roads.

Typically used in Australia. The beauty is that it is easy to work how much further to go! Well within 10 metres, which is good enough.

https://www.southgippsland.vic.gov.au/info/20080/roads/213/rural_road_numbering

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

I have:

Registered with World of Railways

Paid my £12

Integrated my accounts

Changed my theme to RMwebPremium

Cleared my RMweb cookies ......

And am still seeing Google ads down the right hand side of my screen (desktop running Windows 10 and using Edge).  But no ads at the top of the screen🙂, and no videos😀 .  Very happy to pay £12 pa, and to live with how it is now, just reporting things not quite as advertised yet.

Many thanks for all your efforts, Andy

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes like Chimer , not overall bothered and its a lot better than what it was , but I also got a google Pop up ad this morning even though the header says Premium .  Not had it since though , was something changing this morning ?  (6/6/22 about 11 am)

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Chimer said:

And am still seeing Google ads down the right hand side of my screen (desktop running Windows 10 and using Edge).  But no ads at the top of the screen🙂, and no videos😀 .  Very happy to pay £12 pa, and to live with how it is now, just reporting things not quite as advertised yet.

1 hour ago, Legend said:

I also got a google Pop up ad this morning even though the header says Premium . 

Can either of you recall which subforum you were in at the time? As mentioned in the OP there are a few subforums (the sponsored ones) which may still show ads pending a fix when one person is back off holiday. I've tested at this end and all seems as I'd expect to see.

• RMweb Premium

Very glad for this option at £1 a month it hits the mark perfectly. I'd hope that you guys get more directly than through the ad's anyway. Surprised I had only just seen this!

• Thanks 1