MRJ 290

micknich2003

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, micknich2003 said:

A pleasant surprise to see MRJ 290 in my local model shop this afternoon, interesting contents

While I appreciate that you wanted to show us the contents, you're in breach of copyright by posting the editorial as well.

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Any comment from the publishers?

CJI.

Is there a guarantee from the publishers that we subscribers receive out copies before the retailers? For me  my subscription means I know I'm going to get a copy and I don't need to track one down in a shop...

Chris

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

1 minute ago, Gilbert said:

Is there a guarantee from the publishers that we subscribers receive out copies before the retailers? For me  my subscription means I know I'm going to get a copy and I don't need to track one down in a shop...

Chris

None that I am aware of - but I would have thought that it would be a sensible practice, if only to encourage the taking-up of subscriptions.

Subscriptions provide the publishers with assured sales.

CJI.

I believe most magazine subscription copies are sent either direct from the printers or from somewhere very close to the printers in the distribution chain, so they get a head start on the WH Smith etc distribution networks. Isn't MRJ still hand stuffed into envelopes by someone at Cygnet ?

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Wheatley said:

I believe most magazine subscription copies are sent either direct from the printers or from somewhere very close to the printers in the distribution chain, so they get a head start on the WH Smith etc distribution networks. Isn't MRJ still hand stuffed into envelopes by someone at Cygnet ?

Sadly, that is no longer the case and the sturdy, recyclable envelope offering a degree of protection against creasing has been replaced with a plastic bag.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

There's a new issue out already?

When I can get my car out with the confidence of getting it back onto my drive (Gas pipe renewal work in the road, and lunatic neighbour parking) I'll trundle down to the nearest newsagent that stocks MRJ.  As far as I'm concerned, publishing the cover is essential so I know what I'm looking for!

I keep toying with the idea of getting a subscription...

Hello Hroth 

if you go for a subscription you’ll normally have wait anything up to 10 days before it pops through your letterbox, after it is available via Smiths or another news agent. Further to that with the new plastic packaging there is much greater chance of damage with a subscription.

Lastly they the publishers are still using cheques for method of payment!

Simon Fisher

14 minutes ago, simon fisher said:

Hello Hroth 

if you go for a subscription you’ll normally have wait anything up to 10 days before it pops through your letterbox, after it is available via Smiths or another news agent. Further to that with the new plastic packaging there is much greater chance of damage with a subscription.

Lastly they the publishers are still using cheques for method of payment!

Simon Fisher

Given the issue production schedule, I'm not particularly worried about when the mag would arrive. I could just have lots of fun in the "my sub copy hasn't arrived yet" stakes! I've also a large enough letterbox for MRJ to slide through without damage in a plastic wrap.

And I've still got a chequebook so that and snailmail isn't that much of an obstacle!

I could always try the 4 issue sub as a trial and see how it pans out, which is basically what I'm considering at present.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 25/06/2022 at 19:07, Kylestrome said:

While I appreciate that you wanted to show us the contents, you're in breach of copyright by posting the editorial as well.

That's interesting, but I don't understand why showing part of the same page is OK but not the whole page? What about showing the front cover, is that also in breach?

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

Also in stock here in Titfield, my take on its  here

A good issue I think, it is very nice to see Karl's "Kentside" developing, definite shades of the "Little Long Drag"  articles, but only in a good way.

Also I think the now static "Glaisden" is especially well done, a very neat bit of inside-outery.

And nice to see Dave Burnett's "Great Swilling" on the cover too - see Dave and his layout at expoEM Summer at Kettlethorpe School on August 20th and 21st.

Simon

• Like 4

On 25/06/2022 at 19:38, cctransuk said:

but I would have thought that it would be a sensible practice, if only to encourage the taking-up of subscriptions.

Like reducing the subscription fee from annual to a maximum of four issues???

MRJ appearing in WH Smith before it lands on my mat is one of those things that has always been and will always be. After some 36 years subscribing to it I have learned to accept this little foible with a simple shrug.

Have I hell - it annoys me every time !!! It's only because I'm so fond of it and just want to get my hands on it. At least Railroad Model Craftsman came today to keep me occupied.

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Not a clue, but it wasn't at my local pushers today, I'll have another look next week....

If your local pusher isn’t Ealing, it doesn’t count, jus sayin!

• Funny 3

know off topic slightly, but i too was frustrated with the switch from card backed manila envelope to plastic packaging, so i let my subscription lapse, but instead i placed an order with my local newsagents who reserve me a copy (same with steam world as i was having to get a replacement nearly every month for it-clearly the post office think steam world makes good machine fodder!) Least this way i get a pristine magazine and give a local shop some business to boot.

The appearance of MRJ 290 coinciding with our summer fortnight in Tywyn means that rather than playing hunt the issue in Smiffs, I was able to purchase a copy from the excellent independent newsagents on Tywyn High Street. 

Plus, I get to read Mr Kazer’s article about his exquisite 2’3” gauge wagons whilst volunteering at Brynglas today with 2’3” gauge track outside the window. 

66F0776B-E1F9-4725-9B30-165ECABF37F4.thumb.jpeg.12a7fe2e36a0dbd5fee1fe7dcb0e4569.jpeg

The real atmosphere photos of the old sidings in Abergynolwyn village are also very interesting to see. The bottom one presumably following on from the photo from the top of the incline published in MRJ 289. 

Also enjoyed Mr Duffett’s article on 3D printing. Hopefully articles like this will help eliminate some of the disparaging comments I still keep hearing about the quality of this medium which continues to improve its quality at a fast rate. Just wish I had the patience and time to learn CAD techniques. 

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Young
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1