LNER Sentinel & Clayton Railcars - livery & other questions

Chas Levin

Here's a Clayton, but with body by BRCW - and articulated too. May hint at control arrangements in LNER Claytons? This was for Egypt. The 2nd class 4 seat Hareem compartment is interesting. Small hareems in Egypt?

art-14893396838_132f40be34_b.jpg.7d3c075eb1a4dc5ba843fddfa013b1e0.jpg

scan0003.jpg.8a1a6bd0c3c35f47a61d89ae33f7d27c.jpg

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Wow, that's interesting, never knew about those vehicles and I've certainly never seen a Hareem compartment.

Thanks for posting Curlew, though as you imply, 4 seats seems a little parsimonious... 😉

They may not have been so bothered about the seating being near the boiler natterjack, because of the way people who live in hot climates get accustomed to them and don't feel excessively hot the way a typical Brit does on holiday...

Edited by Chas Levin

• Chas Levin changed the title to LNER Sentinel & Clayton Railcars - livery & other questions

Here's another photo of a Clayton articulated railcar - possibly a different one as the cab windows are deeper. It appears to be on trial on a UK railway, probably LNER as that may be a GNR somersault signal on the right. So you could run one on a UK layout!

ClaytonEgypt.jpg.2e87d49545b1369d2f729265efc64c2e.jpg

• Like 2

These railcars would have had to make their way to ports or train ferries (I have an LNER photo of one being loaded for transport to Belgium), so there's no reason they couldn't be seen almost anywhere on the network in exotic liveries as long as they were in gauge.

8 minutes ago, Chas Levin said:

Certainly is interesting MArk: can I ask, is the front bunker / tank section joined to the main body?

Hi Chas

It is at present, presumably to print as one piece, but it's only connected by a couple of small bars at the bottom, so will be very easy to separate when I start the build

Mark

• Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, jwealleans said:

These railcars would have had to make their way to ports or train ferries (I have an LNER photo of one being loaded for transport to Belgium), so there's no reason they couldn't be seen almost anywhere on the network in exotic liveries as long as they were in gauge.

Just to prove your point, an Argentine railcar from BRCW at Malvern Road on the GW. Must have been on temporary bogies.22008456_10212316220535062_4569263123765397895_n.jpg.8f88c1d2802cc18b152b5725326e5924.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 14/06/2023 at 07:56, Morello Cherry said:

I wonder if @andrewshimmin can shine any light on the Clayton in Egypt and if there is anything about it in his book on Egyptian railways?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Locomotives-Egypt-Andrew-Shimmin/dp/1900340887

Not a Clayton, but details of a Sentinel 3 car set, post war, in Egypt that is, or was, at the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre. I saw it there some 20 years ago.

https://www.brc-stockbook.co.uk/smu.htm

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Artless Bodger said:

Not a Clayton, but details of a Sentinel 3 car set, post war, in Egypt that is, or was, at the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre. I saw it there some 20 years ago.

https://www.brc-stockbook.co.uk/smu.htm

Wow, that's a new one on me: I never knew they made 3 car sets. Should we call this type of thing an 'SMU' - a Steam Multiple Unit?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Curlew said:

An early variant was the double-articulated version. Probably grossly underpowered and impossibly hot for the fireman.

DA-000-CammellLairdCataloguePage.jpg.76ee7a15b1da00f6680d406584edfd32.jpg

Very interesting too, another variant I'd not seen: presumably also for somewhere overseas as it has cow-catchers fitted?

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Chas Levin said:

Wow, that's a new one on me: I never knew they made 3 car sets. Should we call this type of thing an 'SMU' - a Steam Multiple Unit?

Doubtful, since I don't suppose it could be coupled to another such set and the whole lot driven from the front cab.  

Probably best to refer to it as a fixed-formation train.  (As were many early electric sets, such as those on the Waterloo and City and the Liverpool Overhead, which in electrical terms were basically elongated trams.)

Keith

Alton.

• Informative/Useful 1