RMweb

Bachmann announce all new Class 37

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Ncarter2 said:

Got to agree, as I’ve just opened my 12th 92!

I darent say that, people might start commenting on “how many you buy”

😁

13 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Were you just making sure with 12?

But i think were in the same range because…

13 hours ago, Ncarter2 said:

The AS guys mentioned it may be sometime before another run, and I’m impatient, so I got some extras for reworking. 

100%

I love my 92’s, in many ways I think they are a better model than the Deltic.

ive gone all in, because it maybe a while…

The last 92’s I bought I went all in too… back in 1994, and never bought another in 29 years… because the Hornby one was pants, and they never re-did the Lima one.

Given where prices are, if you like 92’s, the time is now.

any way after that diversion, back to the war thats kicking off about the 37.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 30/01/2023 at 23:32, Southwich said:

I don’t think you’ll beat this model.

Kind regards,

Will

sounds like a challenge to me…

On 31/01/2023 at 07:28, Mophead45143 said:

That's like red rag to a bull for Accurascale! I'm excited to see theirs. 

100%

On 31/01/2023 at 08:49, The Fatadder said:

As an aside, not entirely sure what can be found in Will's post that's funny...

the lines highlighted above

2 hours ago, RBE said:

He has compared the two models with the prototype and as things currently stand believes the Bachmann front windows appear to capture the prototype better. I will reserve judgement for the final Accurascale model to arrive as I am not as drilled into 37's as Will is, it borders on obsession tbh, and I am not in a hurry to buy one from anyone, however Will's observations are not without merit.

fair enough, time will out.

2 hours ago, RBE said:

Whilst here I would like to also ask Steve McCarron of Accurascale what was so funny about Wills previous explanation as to why he thinks the Bachmann model was a better basis for his model?

Will replied in a professional and concise manner and presented his facts based on the current information that he has available. He also cited positives towards your model as well and asked what had been done to rectify his concerns regarding the window tooling on your 37.

i do think the comment highlighted was fun spirited, at least thats how I translated it.

Whilst not speaking for mcc, I felt his response looked fun spirited too.

2 hours ago, RBE said:

As anyone that knows Me, Alex or Will can testify we are all avid modellers in our own right and it will be a sad day when we are no longer allowed to show our work and discuss the choices that we make to create our art without leaving our business interests at the door.

I can only assume that the laughing emoji is to signify that you think that Will's opinion is laughable, which quite frankly is disrespectful to him as a modeller, and  looking at the evidence so far is far from the case. 

i’ve not read that in anything ive seen. Indeed I think you enhanced my knowledge on Will, and am intrigued to read more of his work.

2 hours ago, RBE said:

I would suggest moving forward on this thread we discuss the merits of the Bachmann 37 compared to the prototype and not fall into manufacturer comparisons that appear to create conflict where none is necessary. 

I for one do enjoy both reading and making side by side comparisons of models of similar ilk or competing types. I am just a “clean and pure” customer in making my comment in that regard… I just buy them, play with them, and well rip em apart.  I look forwards to buying a 56 with big round buffers and having a look over it, just as much as I have a Bachmann 37 hiding in my cubbyhole waiting for the “as delivered” Accurascale 37.

I appreciate for manufacturers its real money, and incomes at stake, so motivations maybe different. But its still a hobby, and banter comes with it, its not as if your going head to head on a 37… had this been the MGR thread, I think i would be sitting with pop corn holding my breath. 

At the end of day, its market competition, and if one rises to the challenge of the other.. we win, so if banter raises the stakes.. great, plus it entertains us, and sells more…

https://www.radiox.co.uk/artists/oasis/inside-britpops-biggest-battle-blur-vs-oasis/

Bachmann is winning on the potential scale imo currently, theyve shown a lot of advanced EPs in a lot more varities than Accurascale, and of course, theyve released some too. However under the hood the jury is still out, and that to me matters as much as the hood itself.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

i do think the comment highlighted was fun spirited, at least thats how I translated it.

Whilst not speaking for mcc, I felt his response looked fun spirited too.

I for one do enjoy making side by side comparisons of models of similar ilk or competing types. I am also completely independant of the trade, and make no money from social media, so feel very “clean and pure” in that regard… I just buy them, play with them, and well rip em apart.  I look forwards to buying a 56 with big round buffers and having a look over it, just as much as I have a Bachmann 37 hiding in my cubbyhole waiting for the “as delivered” Accurascale 37.

I appreciate for manufacturers its real money, and incomes at stake, so motivations maybe different. But its still a hobby, and banter comes with it, its not as if your going head to head on a 37… had this been the MGR thread, I think i would be sitting with pop corn holding my breath. 

At the end of day, its market competition, and if one rises to the challenge of the other.. we win, so if banter raises the stakes.. great, plus it entertains us, and sells more…

Fair comments and yes the posts your were referring to were in good fun, agreed, although if in fun I would expect the laugh to be on the red rag post not Wills but hey, however the laughing face that I was referring to wasn't regarding that post but Will's follow up post that contained none of that at all, the issue is that his application of the laughing face throughout social media seems to be pretty consistent in any post that critiques Accurascale or their models in any way as though it's laughable that such a thing could be true. Just an observation. 

Regarding banter, yep 100% ok with that and Wills original post was very much in the spirit of that of a proud modeller and not a manufacturer, showing his work and explaining why he had chosen to do it the way he had. However his post was dragged into a manufacturers debate in order to discredit his observations as if it were some kind of hidden agenda by Cavalex to belittle the Accurascale loco, to what end I have no idea. As you said, we have no vested interest in the 37 and Will was not posting in any way representing Cavalex or our views yet his post was treated as such by Fran. Will addressed that and received a laughing face for his trouble.

Edited by RBE
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, RBE said:

can only assume that the laughing emoji is to signify that you think that Will's opinion is laughable, which quite frankly is disrespectful to him as a modeller, and  looking at the evidence so far is far from the case. 

With respect, I have not used the laughing emoji and would not do so.

Edit - Just reread to understand not pointed towards me.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, TH47541 said:

Thank you for posting this blog. I was thinking about buying one of the new Bachmann Class 37s but seeing it needs all this work to look right has put me right off it. I just cant be doing with all that extra work. I was torn between a 37/4 and another Hornby 60, but I know the 60 is good so I will order that instead. 

Thanks for your kind words. As I mentioned previously my post was to show what is achievable with the new model, and this isn't needed to make it look right. The base model of the new 37 is excellent and is very good out of the box, however I felt for a P4 loco that I would like to exhibit on a layout one day I'd push my skills as far as possible, and safe to say I'm very pleased with the result! That said I would be very happy with the new model over the old Bachmann 37, it's streets apart!

2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

sounds like a challenge to me…

i’ve not read that in anything ive seen. Indeed I think you enhanced my knowledge on Will, and am intrigued to read more of his work.

I for one do enjoy both reading and making side by side comparisons of models of similar ilk or competing types. I am just a “clean and pure” customer in making my comment in that regard… I just buy them, play with them, and well rip em apart.  I look forwards to buying a 56 with big round buffers and having a look over it, just as much as I have a Bachmann 37 hiding in my cubbyhole waiting for the “as delivered” Accurascale 37.

https://www.radiox.co.uk/artists/oasis/inside-britpops-biggest-battle-blur-vs-oasis/

Bachmann is winning on the potential scale imo currently, theyve shown a lot of advanced EPs in a lot more varities than Accurascale, and of course, theyve released some too. However under the hood the jury is still out, and that to me matters as much as the hood itself.

I sincerely hope the challenge is accepted and the windows can be replicated to the standard of the moulding exhibited on the Bachmann version, as I think we will have the ultimate 37 on our hands (I had a good conversation with Gareth at GETS in 2021 about this). I'd also like to point out for everyone's benefit that I have numerous products from the Accurascale team and have been very supportive of them both publicly and privately, including owning a rake of PCAs that I'm incredibly happy with, so to question my integrity is not needed IMO. 

Feel free to browse my work - my mantra is to make the best model I possibly can, in my opinion based on my research and the informed facts so far, cosmetically speaking the best starting point is the Bachmann model due to the way they have captured the windscreens. This is based on hours of research of the prototype (yes I probably need to get out more and thanks to Cav for highlighting this addiction lol), using a large number of photographs. The way the subtle join between panels and the window frames have been capture (as highlighted in Andi's original post from DEMU showcase) is second to none, and this can be seen very easily from a short Flickr search of 37s.

If anyone would like access to my folder of photos of 37s I have collated over the years drop me a PM with your email and I'll share the folder with you. As I referenced in my original response further up the thread I will also arrange for the screens to be measured on the prototype then we can definitively say.

For the sake of completeness - here are the comments I posted on DEMU with regards to the models I had received at the time (37430/37422/37401):

Positives:
- The windscreen - this has been nailed in my opinion (see photos below) and this is the sole feature that for me makes this worth the extra money over the forthcoming Accurascale offering which uses as separate part in this area. For me not having to take a file to a model to reprofile the front of the loco is a massive positive over the previous generation of Bachmann model. For me the windscreen area on the Bachmann model makes my decision for me between the two new tractors. IMO one captures the look of the loco, and one doesn’t quite. I'm hoping this area is sorted as there are a lot of the WIPAC ones that I would really like, as Fran and Gareth both well know.
- Running quality- flawless as usual with Bachmann. Easy enough conversion to P4/EM will just need brake gear sorting out to fit around the wider wheels. 
- Overall shape - speaking with Alex C on the Bachmann stand you can see they’ve nailed the shape of the new tractor - again well worth the money.
- Detail pack - about a million extra bits to add - really lifts the face of the model and all are very nicely moulded
- Overall DCC functions/lights - kind of what you’d expect from a model in this day and age but engine room lights, separate functions are all there. A lot of playability if that’s a word!

Negatives:
- Snow ploughs - these are rubbish and just need to be chucked in all honesty. Whilst the Accurascale offering will certainly be better in this area, the only way to get a proper look to this area is to use Pete Harvey etched ploughs otherwise they’re far too thick moulded in plastic. Again a worthy upgrade to both models IMO. I’ve done two sets of new Bachmann ones with etches ploughs and they work really well with a bit of modelling. The 31 mount works well with the new buffer beam on the Bachmann model
- Steps - I think the Accurascale model wins here again - the Bachmann steps are pretty naf in all honesty but I'm happy to upgrade these for fixed Pete Harvey ones.
- Sound - without looking into it too much I’m not overly impressed with the sound setup in the Bachmann model, however swapping the sugar cube for a double iPhone certainly helps matters. Long term I will butcher the block and get an EM1 inside to sort this out properly. Again a clear win for Accurascale in this department.

Other comments:
- Fan grille - I think this is as good as you’re ever going to get in a factory environment. The easy solution here is a Shawplan roof grille if you want an upgrade to do it yourself - well worth it IMO for the improvement, but the new roof grille is streets ahead of the previous generation model.
- Glazing - again I think if you’re nitpicking you could improve this with LaserGlaze and I’m working with Brian to do some as it would be a worthwhile upgrade! I don’t think you can expect anything better under factory conditions. 

Overall comments:
If you’re going on price alone I think there’s only one winner, but in my opinion I’m not buying on price, I want the ultimate 37 and happy to sacrifice having less in my fleet to have them right, as well as rectifying any pieces I'm not happy with. To have the windscreens nailed from the outset of having the model in my hands has won me over, and the ease of conversion also plays a part.

If you're buying on a budget based on price, or wanting the best sound option straight from the box I think the conclusion is different.

Some prototype comparison on the Bachmann model - please excuse the very cruel close ups:

My model of 37114:

A8F16193-A2AB-49DC-ABF5-F1D66A498D80.jpeg.d19e4bfaef141b0d6d7a0c9c5aa2b180.jpeg

Kernow 37401 with the original glazing:

796DF208-237A-4F18-85E5-26546076D894.jpeg.989b5a0456d3f48c03be98c2e5b6cda2.jpeg

37042 as the prototype:

37042 EDEN VALLEY RAILWAY, WARCOP STATION YARD 7.6.21

It's always good to have a proper grown up chat about the pros and cons of the models we spend our very hard earned cash on, and hopefully we can all go for a beer at Glasgow for those attending to discuss them and modelling in general further.

Kind regards,

Will 

Edited by Southwich
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Is your 37114 going to be in Dutch as it appeared at Worcester Openday in 1993 ?

I was torn that day… I remember Dunrobin Castle… one of my IS favourites.

But then someone gave me a cab ride on it in Dutch dragging the GW150 DMU around and I was won over.

9EECA8FF-DB02-4F2D-AD5B-C73C5DA284F0.jpeg.4fc2856b8197ae98a982965f18a9925c.jpeg

only 1 plough…

(As an aside, its great to see someone unafraid of taking a £200+ model apart).

44400B7D-1C72-4E82-8086-62D2B6800E41.jpeg.87dc6f88d223ef25b9e293ded688ee63.jpeg

This day saw Lima release 37069 in Dutch (an easy renumber, but ominously, it was the first model at the new price of £39.99… a scare after the glut of £19.99 sale ones).

one question on the noses, are they backwards compatible with the previous release 37’s ?

I think this year is year of the tractor, and the debate over who makes which version of what, and whom is better than whom is going to be the Tractexit discussion of the summer.

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 1

8 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Is your 37114 going to be in Dutch as it appeared at Worcester Openday in 1993 ?

But then someone gave me a cab ride on it in Dutch dragging the GW150 DMU around and I was won over.

only 1 plough…

This day saw Lima release 37069 in Dutch (an easy renumber, but ominously, it was the first model at the new price of £39.99… a scare after the glut of £19.99 sale ones).

one question on the noses, are they backwards compatible with the previous release 37’s ?

I think this year is year of the tractor, and the debate over who makes which version of what, and whom is better than whom is going to be the Tractexit discussion of the summer.

I think he’s doing it in EWS 

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

only 1 plough…

Given I was born in ‘98 I’m afraid not Dutch…

37114 Temple Mills 260904

EWS, see photo from Flickr above at Temple Mills which I will get round to building one day. I’ve already done 698 and have mentor on the go to complete the below working: 

37114 Harrowden Junction

Not sure about noses. When I get the other split box bosh back from Brian at Shawplan I’ll try and fit them and let you know.

Kind regards,

Will

Edited by Southwich
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

I think looking at Will's assessment I'll get the Accurascale one. 

In all seriousness though, I am more up for an Accurascale class 89 than either 37.

Edited by RBE
  • Funny 2

15 hours ago, Andy7 said:

Whilst not wishing to jump in two footed I do have a couple of issues with the new Bachmann 37. It’s quite light (not easy to fix) and the sound file for want of a better word is “crap”, at least it is on a V5 decoder though! Bring on my AS 37’s.

The new 47 was a much better all round effort for me.

I agree the sound isnt great. Its not on a loksound tho. Its a new Zimo decoder

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

That was a cracking open day tho my sole interest on the shuttle was proper Castle on the other end! 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Southwich said:

My model of 37114:

A8F16193-A2AB-49DC-ABF5-F1D66A498D80.jpeg.d19e4bfaef141b0d6d7a0c9c5aa2b180.jpeg

Will 

Some adjustment needed on those ploughs, I think, Will. See what I mean about the centre one being the wrong shape on the PH etch?

No 1 end: The snow ploughs get top coat yellow. Looks like a 37 now. 27th November 2015.

And I did question your sanity (😉) when you said the mounting bracket for the class 31 was right. Best thing I think is to separate each outer plough with the mounting bracket off from the others (i.e. snip up the mounting bracket), and attach the remains of the mounting brackets behind the buffer beam. That way you can fine-tune them at the right width relative to the body - head-on shots seem to show them at exactly nose width (note the wonky roof grille on this one too!): 

37215 Cheltenham

All the best! 

David. 

Edited by Daddyman

2 hours ago, Southwich said:

Given I was born in ‘98 I’m afraid not Dutch…

37114 Temple Mills 260904

EWS, see photo from Flickr above at Temple Mills which I will get round to building one day. I’ve already done 698 and have mentor on the go to complete the below working: 

37114 Harrowden Junction

Not sure about noses. When I get the other split box bosh back from Brian at Shawplan I’ll try and fit them and let you know.

Kind regards,

Will

Unfortunately they are not the same so don’t fit. 3D printing is the short term solution!

On 31/01/2023 at 10:22, cairnsroadworks said:

There is no aerial hole on the nose with 430. Haven’t checked the model of 423 I have here. 

I thought of another large logo tractor you could do from 430 easily - 422. 

Andi. 

37422 you say… ;-)

47EAE763-4612-4D93-93E8-E80BCC80DD11.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
On 01/02/2023 at 15:01, RBE said:

I think looking at Will's assessment I'll get the Accurascale one. 

In all seriousness though, I am more up for an Accurascale class 89 than either 37.

As were into fighting talk….

ive more 37’s than my body has years, with my very first being 37130 back in 1979, and a s/h Triang D6830 that later followed.

i’m not aware of any version that beats these two for playing on the kitchen table with my grandad and using a huge overscale road crane and jib to lift them back onto the track.

😁

(I still have both).

Seriously though, Ive still several Lima 37’s from those mad days, which invariably share a bunch of vitrains chassis, with a bunch of vitrains bodies.

The perfect 37 wont replace half my 37 fleet, but they may fill gaps… Bachmann one is nice, but its Accurascale whos making the post 2010 versions. That said its taken Bachmann long enough to make a Mainline 37/4 in the right shade of Mainline executive dark grey, just wearing the wrong number and nose.. But 37430 looks nice too, but also the wrong number and nose.. so two wrongs may result in two rights.

Finally a better price too on tmc today.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3