Bachmann announce all new Class 37

AY Mod

On 16/06/2023 at 21:49, zr2498 said:

but have to say the sound is not a patch on the Accurascale 37. I will look for speaker upgrading which might help.

Please keep us posted how you get on with this 🙂

• RMweb Gold

I havent seen anyone attempt to tackle a 37/5 yet with the new model, so here is mine.  Modifying the older 37 flush noses to fit, replacing the nose grills with the one piece type and very carefully carving off the centre window frame in order to fit the one piece type.  

Its this final job that I was so happy with, given that it is the one varient of the Class 37 that hasnt been modelled by either manufacturer on their new spec models (and was never produced as an etch by Shawplan) 

IMG_6944.jpeg.47cc46ae4e0d8a8d9e100b4267b0d89f.jpeg5CCC7836-71A2-49FD-9217-988BECBA9D42.jpeg.b2107655ac44d9e7f695e94008dc0163.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold
On 16/06/2023 at 21:49, zr2498 said:

Had a 37/0 D6710 (35-302SFX) delivered today. Looking good, and then went to do the testing.

DCC using ECoS. I had to work out what M4 protocol was all about as that completely stumped me initially.

It's a Zimo decoder but is clearly M4 compatible. ECoS seems to make the decision for you and the usual DCC protocol was not available. M4 is strange as there is no CV1 address allocated. It just gives M4 and the given name of the loco.

It was not possible to read or write CVs in the usual way, but I googled help with this and found that the Motorola graphics displays seem to be the way to alter parameters. Easier in some ways but 'different'.

So a bit of a learning curve. It would have been useful to know about this in the Bachmann literature.

Anyway all seems to be working OK, but have to say the sound is not a patch on the Accurascale 37. I will look for speaker upgrading which might help.

Note that on the 37/0 the fan operation is continuous (as the prototype), so the function button as on the 47 is not available.

Further to this post, I have found another thread which explains how to disable the M4/mfx so that the usual DCC protocol can be used if preferred. Either way, the symbols for the functions have to be input manually, unlike a recognised ESU V5 decoder.

Also an explanation on the YouChoos site

https://www.youchoos.co.uk/Index-QuickHelps.php?L1=ECOSMFX

• RMweb Gold

I’ve had a second 37 where the wire to one of the bogie pickups was not attached. I’ve reattached it, but it was a brand new loco so it’s not come away with handling. Just a heads up.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 29/05/2023 at 18:27, Krieghoff said:

anyone know When are we likely to see the next batch of 37's arriving from Bachmann. I have a Civil Engineers Dutch livery on order 

My local retailer has had invoice so it's on its way to shop this week 

I popped up to Derails Yesterday and picked up 37 305 in Br Blue.

I enquired about 37 201 which I have ordered a good while a go and when Dan checked it had a delivery date of July/August.

Rails must of got them early.

Baz

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, bazil31 said:

I enquired about 37 201 which I have ordered a good while a go and when Dan checked it had a delivery date of July/August.

Baz

Bachmann’s latest 37s are not arriving with retailers in the order they were announced and it would appear that, now they are arriving, Bachmann has decided to spread out their distribution over a longer period rather than send them all out in one go. I’m sure this works better for retailers as it also means sales of the first ones can help pay for those following. So I suspect we’ll see the new releases appear over the next few weeks.

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, bazil31 said:

Baz

There were a few retailers selling 37201 at Perth show today suggesting they might have arrived earlier than expected.

M

25 minutes ago, Matt said:

There were a few retailers selling 37201 at Perth show today suggesting they might have arrived earlier than expected.

M

Some retailers had them in stock on their websites last week.

I bought one myself at the Perth show and having got it home have a query for anyone who might help.

The factory supplied snowploughs go into the NEM pocket, however it looks to me as if they sit far too proud of the bogie such that fitting any of the other factory supplied details (couplings, hoses etc) seems near impossible. Has anyone else found this with this new model?
I have checked that the snowploughs are fully home in the supplied NEM pocket.

The only two solutions I can see is removing the NEM mount and fixing the 'ploughs directly onto the bogie front or simply doing without.

14 hours ago, Bon Accord said:

Some retailers had them in stock on their websites last week.

I bought one myself at the Perth show and having got it home have a query for anyone who might help.

The factory supplied snowploughs go into the NEM pocket, however it looks to me as if they sit far too proud of the bogie such that fitting any of the other factory supplied details (couplings, hoses etc) seems near impossible. Has anyone else found this with this new model?
I have checked that the snowploughs are fully home in the supplied NEM pocket.

The only two solutions I can see is removing the NEM mount and fixing the 'ploughs directly onto the bogie front or simply doing without.

Yes unfortunately this is a feature of the new model - ploughs also can’t be mounted with couplings.

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Matt said:

Yes unfortunately this is a feature of the new model - ploughs also can’t be mounted with couplings.

The Accurascale 37 does allow for both these options, and has to be one of the major advantages their model has over the Baccy one for those of us that like to fit all/most of the pipework and still have an option to fit ploughs.

Steve

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Matt said:

Thanks.

That is really exceptionally poor design on Bachmann's part considering how many will want to have the 'ploughs and the other bufferbeam detail. Particularly considering it was possible on the older models.

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, Bon Accord said:

Thanks.

That is really exceptionally poor design on Bachmann's part considering how many will want to have the 'ploughs and the other bufferbeam detail. Particularly considering it was possible on the older models.

Sounds like it is going to need surgery .

Someone will come up with a   solution not that one should have to go to the effort of course .

21 hours ago, bazil31 said:

Just wondered if anyone has upgraded the speakers on their sound fitted loco's.

If so which ones did you use.

Any help would be grateful.

Baz

Roads and rails has upgraded the sounds with a choice of two speakers , the choice of which is dependent on whether you have the working fan model or the standard sound model .

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Albie the plumber said:

Sounds like it is going to need surgery .

Someone will come up with a   solution not that one should have to go to the effort of course .

The old one wasn’t much better TBH - there wasn’t a way to have couplings and ploughs on later versions of old model unless you carved up the supplied plough assy. But at least the plough didn’t stick out so far.

On the very early Bach 37s the ploughs came in three pieces that plugged in separately but the shape and position of the plough wasn’t right… 

feels like Bach have never managed to get their ploughs right on any of their BR era models… shame as much of their models are right up there with the best apart from this area. As a Scottish modeller this does irk somewhat!

I haven’t tried yet but wonder if the AS ploughs can be made to fit the Bach 37…

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Some decent ploughs will be ace and as I use kadees I'll have to come up with a way of fitting them all in. Not sure the Accurascale would work with Kadees? 

I think something in brass would work and look better.

The carp snowploughs are one of the two things that still annoy me on the new 37. 
I’ll sit until the inevitable price dump from £212 ish to £170-180 and see if the Dutch one makes sense 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, dj_crisp said:

Some decent ploughs will be ace and as I use kadees I'll have to come up with a way of fitting them all in. Not sure the Accurascale would work with Kadees? 

They do.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Matt said:

I haven’t tried yet but wonder if the AS ploughs can be made to fit the Bach 37…

I did wonder the same even though I have ordered a brass set from PH designs. Anyone out there who has tried the AS on Bach 37 yet?

21 minutes ago, zr2498 said:

I did wonder the same even though I have ordered a brass set from PH designs. Anyone out there who has tried the AS on Bach 37 yet?

I was just trying the AS ploughs on my AS 37 with Kadees last night and plan was to move to a Bach 37 this eve and try same. Plan might be aborted as have come back from work with headache but will see later.

with each AS loco coming with both options and me fitting each loco with coupling at one end, I have a spare set per AS loco to use for my Bach ones…

Edited by Matt
  • Thanks 1

On 26/06/2023 at 12:22, Bon Accord said:

Thanks.

Exactly the same situation with the new class 47 - it would not have required rocket science to come up with an answer!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, dj_crisp said:

Thanks. Interesting - I'd have expected the centre plough to foul the coupling so have they reduced the height of the centre plough to fit?

I've no idea what Accurascale have done to accommodate, but you can fit a either a standard coupling or Kadees as well as the one piece plough.  Here's 37027 sporting a Kadee #18 fully seated in the NEM pocket, along with the 1-piece plough.  I will be painting the connecting sprues black to better mask them at some point soon.  I'll also be adding whatever pipework I can given this is my "coupling" end of the loco, so isn't strictly necessary.

1-piece plough + kadee.jpg

• Like 6