Farish Autumn 2022 Announcements

AY Mod

On 09/04/2023 at 13:16, John M Upton said:

Not understanding this replacing with talk.  Any Mk2 b/c from Accurascale would be complimentary and additional to the Farish Mk2 and 2a, not a replacement for.  They were different after all and some sub variants did not appear in some areas except for the odd extremely rare occurrence.

The Farish Mk 2 is a good model (the slightly odd fault with the B4 bogie axles sometimes coming out of their bearing pockets not withstanding), the issue is not the model, it is the chronic lack of supply to meet demand.

Still bewildered why they produced that RTC TSO, it is still lurking around unsold!

The worry for me would be whether they match.

Farish can't even produce their mk1's to be the same height as their mk2's, so what are the chances accurascale ones will line up.

Then there's the question of paint shades.

I like variety, but would much rather spend my money in one place and have rakes of carriages which don't look like they were rescued from Booths yesterday.

1 hour ago, johny retro said:

Farish can't even produce their mk1's to be the same height as their mk2's, so what are the chances accurascale ones will line up.

I like variety, but would much rather spend my money in one place and have rakes of carriages which don't look like they were rescued from Booths yesterday.

You don't want all your eggs in one basket - if you drop the basket you lose all your eggs.

We need several N gauge manufacturers - Farish, Dapol, RevolutioN, Rapido and Accurascale - there is also Sonic but at the moment they are doing low output compared to the others.

Each will ensure the others are kept on their toes in terms of content and quality, we can see the impact Dapol had on Bachmann Farish and once Dapol reduced output, ran down it's models and really slowed development it felt like Bachmann Farish did the same.  I think the entry of Accurascale will shake things up again when it happens.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Dapol have a very active N Gauge schedule, with plenty of re-liveries as well as new models which have not yet been announced. We are also updating many of our older models, such as the M7 and Ivatt.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Captain Electra said:

Dapol have a very active N Gauge schedule, with plenty of re-liveries as well as new models which have not yet been announced. We are also updating many of our older models, such as the M7 and Ivatt.

And I am glad Dapol are taking a proper interest in N again.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Captain Electra said:

Now that you mention it, could you please ask them to do their Collett Full Brake in Rail Blue. I asked them a few years ago and they said that they had no plans to do it for some reason (And yes I know that there was a N Gauge Society version).

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, johny retro said:

The ride height isn't that noticable when running around a layout, and as for colour match, the real thing wasn't all fixed sets churned out through the paintshop at the same time. Rail Blue faded, especially when regularly tripped through the washers, so some variation is quite prototypical.

Each to their own though....

• Like 4
  • Agree 5

I'm sure you apply the same attitude when buying a brand new car too - 4 doors made by 3 different manufacturers which vary in size and shape, odd coloured body panels because older ones can fade if left in the sun too long, wheel alignment has to be done properly yourself when you get it home rather than at the factory, lights which don't work so you have to fit your own...

It's amazing that we seem to have such low expectations and standards from manufacturers these days when it comes to RTR models.

Maybe I AM being a little OCD, but when a rake of brand new coaches is going to cost me over £400 then I'd like a little consistency and a reassuring level of availability.

I don't feel it's acceptable for a manufacturer to take so long to give me 3/4 of a rake then just give up.

Then hope that somebody else brings out something similar in a few years time and  sit here making excuses for them when nothing matches properly.

Stock availability/being able to buy and run full rakes has always been the downfall of N gauge, which puts a lot of modellers off.

I see little has changed and I am starting to regret switching over.

I just hope I am wrong and we all get the items we need.

Edited by johny retro
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, johny retro said:

I'm sure you apply the same attitude when buying a brand new car too - 4 doors made by 3 different manufacturers which vary in size and shape, odd coloured body panels because older ones can fade if left in the sun too long, wheel alignment has to be done properly yourself when you get it home rather than at the factory, lights which don't work so you have to fit your own...

It's amazing that we seem to have such low expectations and standards from manufacturers these days when it comes to RTR models.

Get real, the car analogy just doesn't work, it is one vehicle. What I was trying to point out is that a rake of 10 coaches will not all have been through works at the same time, or the same works for that matter. Paint fades with age, and paint doesn't always match from batch to batch in the first place. It is quite prototypical to have slight variations within a rake, and even 50 shades of grey on the roof.

And I don't have low expectations from manufacturers, there have been some very suspect offerings. I just don't buy them and wait for what I want/need.....

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
On 12/04/2023 at 11:41, johny retro said:

Farish can't even produce their mk1's to be the same height as their mk2's, 

True, but if you put a half mil washer under each bogie spigot, the Mk2s look fine coupled to Mk1s. Job done.

Edited by The Pilotman
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

On 13/04/2023 at 21:21, Davexoc said:

Get real, the car analogy just doesn't work, it is one vehicle. What I was trying to point out is that a rake of 10 coaches will not all have been through works at the same time, or the same works for that matter. Paint fades with age, and paint doesn't always match from batch to batch in the first place. It is quite prototypical to have slight variations within a rake, and even 50 shades of grey on the roof.

And I don't have low expectations from manufacturers, there have been some very suspect offerings. I just don't buy them and wait for what I want/need.....

We obviously have slightly different opinions on what we accept from manufacturers.

Edited by johny retro

On 13/04/2023 at 21:29, The Pilotman said:

True, but if you put a half mil washer under each bogie spigot, the Mk2s look fine coupled to Mk1s. Job done.

That's true.

But unfortunately it also means that certain livery lines then don't line up, regional railways for example.

I discovered this when experimenting with different bogies under my mk2's.

I guess I will just have to see what comes along. But thanks.

22 hours ago, Steven B said:

BR didn't manage to get the stripes lining up 100% of the time:

(both Dave Sallery on Flickr.

31270, Rhyl, 18-05-95

(first and second carriages, number four is modified NSE)

31421, Deganwy, 05-06-1993

I have noticed these in numerous photos and videos. I think these were InterCity liveried coaches that were painted over in Regional Railways colours, but to the InterCity template. None seemed to get the 'Regional Railways' titles, though.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 05/01/2024 at 19:47, scottishlocos said:

All

Will 08761 with sound ever be released.

Guessing delayed due to chip shortages?

Thanks

Or is it a case of a "pause" due to the number of 08s already delivered saturating the Market and only the blue and green ones selling quickly leaving a number of less popular/common ones on shelves? You can get some of the quirkier liveries at very keen prices currently without too much shopping around..

• Like 1
  • Agree 1