GER W&U Train Packs

rapidoandy

34 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

By a short head, or a dead heat? Because, come to think of it, the Dapol GW Mainline & City carriages are pre-Grouping too.

Gosh, how could I forget those!

I sort of think the Kernow steam raicar will count in dues course - it's a coach wot moves without a seperate engine!

And Dapol will return to the fray with an autocoach that will count too. 

Some 1890s clerestories would look splendid too if any takers can be found! 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Edwardian said:

No, Rob, no etched plates.

In an ideal world I'd add a number plate for one of the earliest of the class, and change the buffers to suit a prototype of my choosing. 

Nor do they come with the alternative cowcatchers. The only cow catchers are the ones fitted, with big gaps in them for the tension lock couplings.

If there is anyone out there with one of the J70s who uses tension locks and has a spare set of the alternative cowcatchers, I'd be grateful to hear from them!

The instruction booklet implies that alternative cowcatcher would be provided.

So maybe an oversight on Rapido’s part or a late change of plan?

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

I wouldn't be that surprised if they were supposed to be produced didn't end up in the box but then Rapdio would be in their rights to go back to the factory and then send these out as goodwill to anyone who wants them. Wouldn't be unprecedented and they have generally been very good for holding their hands up in the past.

Edited by E100
Last sentence removed
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Before everyone gets hysterical, can we wait to see what @rapidoandy or @RapidoCorbs has to say. They are nice guys, and generally don't go around assaulting people.

Sorry - you are quite right. I'll edit that out as I really meant to try and give them the benefit of the doubt going by my first sentence. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Before everyone gets hysterical, can we wait to see what @rapidoandy or @RapidoCorbs has to say. They are nice guys, and generally don't go around assaulting people.

Agree. I wished only to report factually. Having rummaged the accessory bag in order to answer the question asked of whether there were etched plates, I also mentioned the cowcatchers because I knew that the Model Rail issue had come with a spare set. I knew this because, in extremis, I was eyeing up one for back-dating to GER condition before events so spendidly overtook me.

While I understand that these minor disappointments can niggle, and I don't think anyone should feel got at or guilt-tripped over experiencing such disappointments, I do feel that, set against the pros of this frankly splendid set, it would be a shame if the focus remained too long on the niggles when, franky here is something I never expected to see RTR in a livery I never expected to see RTR, where great pains were evidently taken to get everything right and the design and quality of manufacture seem impeccable to me.  

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

"But I don't catch cows, Sir"

Sorry for the confusion about them being in the instructions and not in the package.

If you do want to swap the cow-catchers for the non-tension lock variety, we can send you a pair FOC.

All you need to do is go here, say you bought a W&U Pack and you would like a pair of cow-catchers without coupling holes:

https://rapidotrains.co.uk/warranty-form/

Please allow for the usual Christmas post delay.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

There is no doubting this is a stunning pack. The livery application on both loco and coaches is superb. The models themselves are fantastic.

But, and it's a big but, those cow-catchers let it down so much.

The lack of etched plate is minor to me. I'm happy to buy a pair from NP to put on it.

DSC03929.JPG.8daa3f136b2794ff4c8fa91f6038eb07.JPG

DSC03930.JPG.f9623595331628a0fb322c8402548870.JPG

DSC03931.JPG.3b9b4bc1947c8198df7406507bf702e7.JPG

Edit: And as I was typing this post, Corbs responded with a solution. I am very pleased that we can indeed get our hands on the proper cow-catchers, and will be doing so immediately 👍

Thank you Rapido! 🙂

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, RapidoCorbs said:

Sorry for the confusion about them being in the instructions and not in the package.

If you do want to swap the cow-catchers for the non-tension lock variety, we can send you a pair FOC.

All you need to do is go here, say you bought a W&U Pack and you would like a pair of cow-catchers without coupling holes:

As always brilliant after sales support from Rapido! This kind of support is why I will gladly buy from you again and again.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, RapidoCorbs said:

Spendid. Thanks Corbs. 

Order placed. 

Rob

15 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

The more I look at these sat in front of me, the more it reinforces that fact that we need Rapido to do the four wheelers!

Yes, kits or 3d prints could be sourced. But trying to exactly match the finish and quality of these would be a nightmare 😄

True, but the 4-wheelers are a 'single use' model, so perhaps unlikely in RTR. These, and the brake coach, are available as etched (along with the bogie coaches) from Eveleigh Creations, so no need to go wallet-busting D&S trawling (manufacturer's pictures - these might be the 2mil versions):

image.png.30e840c7ddb8a55c1a2a0c2da67a82aa.png 

image.png.5f3c4fe039c88855b1eda33c456243ab.png

• RMweb Premium

Well, they can get 4 liveries out of them. GER pre-14, GER post-14, LNER, and Kelvedon & Tollesbury.

I'd say that makes them viable.

Edit: Plus as has been mentioned in other threads, the Accurascale J67/69 will give people even more reason to buy the ex-W&U coaches.

Edited by Fair Oak Junction
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

Well, they can get 4 liveries out of them. GER pre-14, GER post-14, LNER, and Kelvedon & Tollesbury.

Edit: Plus as has been mentioned in other threads, the Accurascale J67/69 will give people even more reason to buy the ex-W&U coaches.

Indeed and anyone who produced GER 6-wheers could consider those coverted for the aforesaid Kelvedon & Tollesbury too.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

I honestly don’t think they would be viable - not without a hefty price tag to offset the low production volume.

With the current tramcars 50% of the run were made up of Titfield sales…

Andy

• Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

I honestly don’t think they would be viable - not without a hefty price tag to offset the low production volume.

Andy

Great Eastern goods brake van it is then.....

Rob

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

Andy

Well that's a shame, but understandable.

W&U RTR is but a pipe dream 😢

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

Well that's a shame, but understandable.

W&U RTR is but a pipe dream 😢

Eh? They’ve done the main loco and coach and the goods stock is mostly available. If it’s not viable for Rapido look into a 3D print for the small coach or find one of the older kits. I’d say we have 80% of what’s needed already available. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PaulRhB said:

Eh? They’ve done the main loco and coach and the goods stock is mostly available. If it’s not viable for Rapido look into a 3D print for the small coach or find one of the older kits. I’d say we have 80% of what’s needed already available. 

I'm not disputing the availability of kits/3d prints. As I mentioned a few posts above, it's matching the finish/quality. I could not get even close to matching the finish of the tram pack!
Others will be able to, and hopefully we do see more W&U layouts as a result of this release. If we were all expert modellers, then RTR wouldn't even need to exist.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Anyone successfully removed the C53 body on this version i.e. with the next 18 socket? I'm having tremendous trouble and feels like I'm using more force than I'm comfortable with. Removed the cow catchers and couplings and the 4 screws obviously.