RMweb

Drewry 04 diesel shunter

Downer

15 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Transfer producers are subject to copyright law in the same way as everyone else.

That's why one aircraft decal producer made decals for P-51D 'amorous len III' to get around the notoriously legitious Gen. Chuck Yeager's trademarking (or that of at least one of his wives) and just happened that the bottom of the decal sheet included extra letters that were 'Gl's and 'G's...

Edited by 41516
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Phil Bullock said:

Thought it might suit you Sir! 

Indeed. Standing by on the confirmation of variants but it's looking tricky......

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, 40F said:

D2325 would be a class 03 Their number sequence was D2000 - D2199 and then D2300 on. The 04s were D2200 - D2299 

The 03 number series restarted at D2372 until the 2 departmental locos were added in and became D2370/1. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gilbert said:

I always thought the 04 moulds etc were sacrificed in the production of the 03?

I thought it was the other way around - the Mainline/Replica/Bachmann 03 ended up as their 04, and the latest 03 is an entirely new model. 

Anyway, I'd better build the Vulcan kit I've got stashed away before this comes out.....

Edited by pete_mcfarlane
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, Gilbert said:

I always thought the 04 moulds etc were sacrificed in the production of the 03?

Was it that long ago?   Quote from Mr Y so far down the page.

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

On the subject of the Rapido 04, I'm looking forward to not only the W&U skirted jobs but also the later skirted examples, such as D2281 and D2282. Both had additional marker lights, being former Southern Region locos,  as well as being fitted with side skirts. 

These should look very nice in their waspy stripe green livery. 

Rob. 

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Swindon 123 said:

Not likely. I own D2302 and it's definitely a class 04. Class 04 number series ran D2200 to D2341.

Paul J.

OOPS sorry my mistake

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, russ p said:

I appreciate that a few 04s got them late on but would be great if they did a proper runner for them 

Perhaps Modelu could scan Mo Farah ? 

• Funny 9

On 26/08/2022 at 17:35, Phil Bullock said:

Very nice! 85A did acquire a few in 1966 when steam finished…. Although they didn’t last long there.  That’s good enough for me to get one though. 

As I recall Phil these were D2200/03/19/35/38/40, and spanned 1964-6 - until I read about them in Traction a few years back I thought the only Drewrys the WR ever got were the four it 'inherited' from Plymouth Friary when that depot came under WR control (11225/7/8/9 I think). I've modelled D2240 with the Bachmann model because I had a photo reference, albeit on the ER after it had 'gone home' - I was tempted by D2238 with its Swindon Class 03-style large-number paint job but the photo of it I found with D2136 at Worcester in May 1966 suggested a recent overhaul which placed it a year outside of my chosen modelling period. The small round buffers bothered me so I removed the heads and springs and replaced them with shortened Lima plastic Class 47 items carefully filed to that unique Drewry flattened oval shape - with the locating collar filed off these are a neat push fit into the Bachmann stocks.

• Like 3

There was only ever one class 04 allocated to Bescot and that was for only a relatively brief time.  It came with a handful of 03s which all moved on, however the solitary 04 was not so lucky and ws withdrawn in 1968.

If "Rapidoandy" chooses D2220 as one of the run of Rapido models I will have have one !!! 

Did all the 04s get the conical exhaust, or did any have the "flowerpot" that some 03s were fitted with ?

Edited by Covkid

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Covkid said:

There was only ever one class 04 allocated to Bescot and that was for only a relatively brief time.  It came with a handful of 03s which all moved on, however the solitary 04 was not so lucky and ws withdrawn in 1968.

If "Rapidoandy" chooses D2220 as one of the run of Rapido models I will have have one !!! 

Did all the 04s get the conical exhaust, or did any have the "flowerpot" that some 03s were fitted with ?

They all had conical exhausts but I there were (at least) two patterns of cab.

John

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

John

The early locomotives differed with smaller wheels, simple exhaust pipes and different cabs. Details are in Modern Locomotives Illustrated No. 195 which is available digitally from pocketmags.com.

Andrew  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Covkid said:

9 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

John

Interesting that. In the pictures I have of D2201 it seems to have a very 'straigh't pipe, whereas D2281, also with skirts, seems to have the more traditional conical shape.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, 90rob said:

Interesting that. In the pictures I have of D2201 it seems to have a very 'straigh't pipe, whereas D2281, also with skirts, seems to have the more traditional conical shape.

Correction, all the 04s I saw had conical exhausts. Sounds like the early ones had something different, at least to begin with.

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

The original 4 for the ER [the SR one, DS1173, later D2341, is much earlier still] were built without exhaust pipes [as was DS1173/2341], and were later given stove pipes [I don't know about DS1173]. Photographs exist of locos from the 2204-14 batch with either stove pipes or cones. D2200/1/2/3 had skirts from new, but 2200, at least, lost them on transfer [to the WR in that case]. D2210/2 were photographed early in their lives with skirts, and D2211 was photographed in rail blue without skirts, but with holes along the side of the footplate which may suggest it had them at some time. D2281 was from a later batch, and was fitted with them much later in its life, I think.

MLI195 suggested above is a useful reference, as between them the 04s have three different exhausts, two different buffer shapes, two different radiator sizes [and DS1173 has another], two shapes of cab front windows, one or two cab side windows, two positions for the rear cab windows and two different footplates. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Cwmtwrch said:

The original 4 for the ER [the SR one, DS1173, later D2341, is much earlier still] were built without exhaust pipes [as was DS1173/2341], and were later given stove pipes [I don't know about DS1173]. Photographs exist of locos from the 2204-14 batch with either stove pipes or cones. D2200/1/2/3 had skirts from new, but 2200, at least, lost them on transfer [to the WR in that case]. D2210/2 were photographed early in their lives with skirts, and D2211 was photographed in rail blue without skirts, but with holes along the side of the footplate which may suggest it had them at some time. D2281 was from a later batch, and was fitted with them much later in its life, I think.

MLI195 suggested above is a useful reference, as between them the 04s have three different exhausts, two different buffer shapes, two different radiator sizes [and DS1173 has another], two shapes of cab front windows, one or two cab side windows, two positions for the rear cab windows and two different footplates. 

What I forgot earlier was also look out for the different arrangement of bonnet top panels and handrails.

Andrew