Drewry 04 diesel shunter

Downer

• RMweb Gold

If I might make a wishlisty suggestion for Rapido Andy, the sad demise of this project might leave room for what I reckon is low-hanging BR/industrial fruit, a 1950s jackshaft driven diesel shunting engine, of which my favourite would be the pug-ugly D27xx North British dh as modelled with an incorrect chassis by Playcraft Jouef.  A model to current standards with decent cab detail would be marvellous!  There were some fairly characterful Fowlers as well.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I was mainly interested in the skirted versions and any that were specific to the Southern Region with the extra marker lights etc. In fact, pretty certain D2282 was a combination of both. 

I'm loathe to revisit the Bachmann model unless one can jam in a new 03 chassis ( I think you can ) but then you have the issue of the wrong pattern wheels unless you're adding skirts etc..

Or, as above, you go down the Sparkshot route, tricky if you want wasp stripe green......

Rob. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Or, as above, you go down the Sparkshot route

There is also the Vulcan kit, if you can get hold of one these days - https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/oo-gauge-br-class-04-drewry-shunter-307282114

I used to have an unbuilt example on my 'to do' pile, but it got moved on long ago.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gilbert said:

Surely there is a market for a "Railroad" type  Class 04 that will meet the needs of 95% of us?

Chris H

Somehow, Rapido and Railroad standards don't go together in my mind. But there is still the Bachmann versions...

13 hours ago, MarkSG said:

The Bachmann 04 would be good enough for a lot of people if it was paired with a chassis that's up to recent standards. But Rapido's plans included a skirted variant, suitable for dockside or W&U layouts, that the Bachmann model can't easily be modified to fit. I apreciate that those of us who want a skirted variant are probably the minority, but our only realistic prospect of getting one RTR is from an entirely new tooling.

A skirted railroad model sort of exists in the form of Mavis. The Bachmann 04 still has good running characteristics and sprung buffers so would be apt for a railroad world with no DCC involved.

Class04_01.jpg

Class04_02.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

There are quite a few variations/combinations of details to be wary of I have recently discovered. It appears there are three main ‘types’. The originals with small 3’3” wheels and square windows all round. Then the same with larger front windows. Then larger wheels at 3’6” ( and eventually 3’7”). Larger sliding cab side windows next. And further changes with footplate and steps. All coming at different stages with subsequent batches. Although some of the first original ones became skirted - for the W&U and docks, later versions also got them at times. Tracking down shots and numbers of specific locos seems key to getting them right it would seem, as is so often the case.

Bob

Edited by Izzy
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 29/07/2023 at 00:16, The Johnster said:

If I might make a wishlisty suggestion for Rapido Andy, the sad demise of this project might leave room for what I reckon is low-hanging BR/industrial fruit, a 1950s jackshaft driven diesel shunting engine, of which my favourite would be the pug-ugly D27xx North British dh as modelled with an incorrect chassis by Playcraft Jouef.  A model to current standards with decent cab detail would be marvellous!  There were some fairly characterful Fowlers as well.

The Class 01 and Class 06 would also be worthwhile candidates. There has never been an RTR model of the 01, there has never been an RTR 06 to anything like scale standards (the Hornby model is 35 years old and badly compromised to fit the Holden tank chassis), and both classes were variations on standard industrial designs of which many were built.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, papagolfjuliet said:

The Class 01 and Class 06 would also be worthwhile candidates. There has never been an RTR model of the 01, there has never been an RTR 06 to anything like scale standards (the Hornby model is 35 years old and badly compromised to fit the Holden tank chassis), and both classes were variations on standard industrial designs of which many were built.

Leaving aside industrials, the 06 would seem to me a much better choice than the 01. Apart from the Holyhead pair the 01s had gone by about 1967 and there were only 5 to start with. There were more 06s (35) and they lasted far longer (into the 80s), with a wider distribution (if only in Scotland). There would be plenty of Scottish layouts that could use one - plus Reading Signal Works and the Isle of Wight (but both of those are a bit like Holyhead breakwater in modelling terms).

Edited by melmoth
spelling, as ever
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
On 23/08/2023 at 13:07, melmoth said:

Leaving aside industrials, the 06 would seem to me a much better choice than the 01. Apart from the Holyhead pair the 01s had gone by about 1967 and there were only 5 to start with. There were more 06s (35) and they lasted far longer (into the 80s), with a wider distribution (if only in Scotland). There would be plenty of Scottish layouts that could use one - plus Reading Signal Works and the Isle of Wight (but both of those are a bit like Holyhead breakwater in modelling terms).

The Isle of Wight shunter was an 05 (and later 03), not an 06. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1