Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Which Models would you wish from Dapol?

Stefen1988

8 hours ago, Adam1701D said:

Research and development is the most time consuming part of a new project, so if your competitor has done theirs when you've done your own in 2mm & 4mm already..... 

Just corrected that for you Adam....

*cough* Class 22 *cough* 👍👍😁🤣🤣

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, 1977joey said:

I was wondering if Dapol would consider the Class 116 DMU in N gauge? We currently have no larger suburban DMU in N gauge & nothing proposed.

Does Revolution's class 120 not count?

Steam loco - SR N15 & non SR 4-4-0 & 2-6-0. Oh, and a nice new J94.

Diesel loco - fix the headcode box on the class 50. 

Electric - with the class 87 announced, just classes 85 and 89 on my wish list. 

DMU - Class 104 and 110; three car class 144 (and fix the issues with the body shape on the 142?)

EMU - Class 304.

Coaches - I can see the Mk2b/c coming from Accurascale, so big four suburban types please.

Wagon - where to start? LMS Std van and PCA depressed centre cement wagon perhaps?

Steven B

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

How about a 1970s AC emu in OO as it looks like no one else is doing one . Yes 313/314/315/507/508 

I really want a 303/311 but that’s probably pretty niche , although an attractive unit in Caley Blue .

Given your success with D classes , how about pre grouping north of the border . A Caley Dunalastair or Cardean ? 

Edited by Legend

1 hour ago, Steven B said:

Does Revolution's class 120 not count?

Steven B

Hi Steven,

I was referring to a Class 116 being of the larger suburban type DMU used on busy commuter routes as opposed to the 120 which is a Cross Country unit.

I think they'd be a fantastic & addition to the N gauge 1st generation DMU range. Dapol some what already have the tooling as a basis with their class 122 bubble car...

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 1977joey
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Since this thread opened, I have been successful, in that the 4mm Diagram N autotrailer I've been banging on about ever since Dap absorbed Lionheart is on the way, yay N.  This means that there are no other that I wish from Dap, doesn't it?  Not quite!

I can now start banging on about something else that would, I think, fit the Dapol range; operating lit ground disc signals, GW/WR of course.  I would imagine that pretty much everybody who has bought a Dapol working signal would be interested in these, and even on my fairly basic BLT eight are needed.

An auto-fitted engine to accompany the N might be a good idea as well.  The obviously low-hanger is the 54xx, never before attempted in 4mm, but the world awaits a reliable good runner 14xx.  Then, considering the N's period of operation, there are the 517s, Metros, and various 2021s/850s and such that were used before Swindon started building new engines specifically for auto work.  The later 64xx, with squared off cab/bunker join and lipless cab roof have never been done in RTR, perhaps with A43/A44 'Cycplops' trailers.  Not much to do to the later 64xx to produce a 74xx, the non-auto version, and Cyclops don't need much more than a slide to replace the cab end of the A44 to represent the Collett flatenders they were rebuilt from. 

You want design clever, I'll give you design clever.  Just sayin'.

But I'd really appeciate working disc signals, Dap.

I would think a Large Metro would be the better option as they also go with the Toplights and lasted until BR days (just). After the 61XXs turned up they were then scattered all around the system.

There's no kits of one available so you aren't treading on anyone's toes. There are at least two decent kits of the smaller version and most of those went pretty early.

Jason

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

I can now start banging on about something else that would, I think, fit the Dapol range; operating lit ground disc signals, GW/WR of course. 

Working ground signals being done.... in O Gauge. 😁😝🥳

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

Working ground signals being done.... in O Gauge. 😁😝🥳

I can only hope that they follow the Diagram N through the 4mm shrink ray, then!  And my experience of the N is that those who ask, recieve, so please excuse me while I keep banging on about operating lit ground discs until Dapol relent and produce them!  The basic principle can be pretty much the same as the signals already produced, and with less components, less material, and less packaging needed, they could, I'm guessing, retail at something like £20-25 a pop, with any luck...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

LMS "Period 2" corridor stock.

ex-LSWR Ironclads (including the P/P conversions). LNER Gresley corridor coaches of the correct shape.

I'd also love to see some of Dapol's "old faithful" wagons redone to dimensionally correct 21st century standards, especially the Banana van, the PasFruit D, the cattle wagon, and the fruit van conversion of same. Also the SR CCT that seems to have gone AWOL altogether. It may be a bit late to worry about the Gunpowder van, though....

A Stove R that's not ruined be being designed to go round curves laid using a dinner plate as a template. At a push, I could put up with it still being a bit wide if they only wanted to redo the chassis!

John  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, 1977joey said:

I was referring to a Class 116 being of the larger suburban type DMU used on busy commuter routes as opposed to the 120 which is a Cross Country unit.

I think they'd be a fantastic & addition to the N gauge 1st generation DMU range. Dapol some what already have the tooling as a basis with their class 122 bubble car...

Ah, that makes more sense - I assumed you were just going for a 63' unit!

I agree, the class 116 would be my choice of 63' suburban DMU - wide geographical area (most regions saw them at one point or another), and a good number of liveries & warning panel variations (green, blue, white/blue, blue/grey and NSE). A number received local branding (e.g. WM, Valley Train & TransClyde).

I'd have one. Blue/Grey with Valley Train branding please!

Steven B.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

I'd also love to see some of Dapol's "old faithful" wagons redone to dimensionally correct 21st century standards, especially the Banana van, the PasFruit D, the cattle wagon, and the fruit van conversion of same. Also the SR CCT that seems to have gone AWOL altogether. It may be a bit late to worry about the Gunpowder van, though....

A Stove R that's not ruined be being designed to go round curves laid using a dinner plate as a template. At a push, I could put up with it still being a bit wide if they only wanted to redo the chassis!

I concur, and 16ton steel/7-plank minerals on 9' chassis would be a good idea, too (this comment is directed at Hornby as well).  It is time that the ghosts of 1960s Triang and HD generic chassis were exorcised fully and forever! 

I'd love a decent Stove R, and would suggest the Five 79 kit approach to six-wheelers.  I have an LMS wooden bodied van from this company, with a flangeless solidly moulded centre wheelset.  This sounds like a horrible idea, but in practice you have to look quite hard to be aware of it, and I've picked out the tyre treads in silver to further suggest the presence of an actual wheel, which is reasonably effective.  On the 30" minimum radius curves of my scenic area it is not blindingly obvious that the centre wheelset is only in passing acquaintance with the railhead, though it might be a bit obvious on setrack...

I'd suggest that an RTR version of the ancient Ratio Dean 4-wheelers, representing actual vehicles, would be welcome as well, and while I'm wishlisting how about full correct length non-gangwayed clerestories properly detailed to current standards...

Influenced by the Glyncorrwg Miners', moi???

05.50 at Cwmdimbath, half light on a cool drizzly morning with the mountains obscured by clouds, it's like being in a big damp grey room, the box is not switched in yet (in fact the morning signalman is riding up on this train) and the branch is being worked 'one engine in steam'.  A 57xx pannier has turned up propelling the miners workman's, a Dean non-gangwayed clerestory third in matt filth livery, the end compartment having three windows cut into the end of the coach for the guard to keep a lookout through; he also has a foot-operated bell to scare the sheeps with, bit like an ersatz autotrailer.  This is ecs at the moment, having set down it's passengers for the colliery morning shift off-scene at the miner's halt, and is theoretically booked to run back down the valley with any nightshift punters from the halt, but it comes up to the terminus to deliver the signalman and take water.  Another grey and gloomy day lurches uncomfortably, coughing from Woodbines & silicosis and grumbling, into action in the Valleys; us Celts love a bit of misery, the point of life is to suffer!!!

06.05, and after a couple of half-hearted chuffs to get under way, the pannier rolls it's coach back to the halt, then down the gradient to Blackmill, where it will work another miner's service in the Ogwr Valley.  The loco will re-appear later on the morning pickup.  The station is starting to come to life, as the lights go on in the signal box and the station charghand arrives from his cottage across the road in Lechyd Terrace and unlocks the building, then puts the kettle on; the porters and shunter will be along shortly.  The waiting room fire is lit ready for the arrival of the 'papers', and the customers for the first public passenger of the day for Bridgend.  It's as light as it's going to get by now, and the lights are still needed indoors. 

The clanking of the overhead spoil buckets alerts the valley to the fact that the colliery is winding the first coal of the day, actually cut yesterday evening, to the surface, and the colliery engines are coming to life. 

You can't set this scene without the first train, the miner's workmans, and this needs correct stock.  The Mainline & Cities will help, used at Glyncorrwg between 1956 and 1960, but I can't quite be living with a completely wrong 3-compartment Dean 4-wheeler brake third, or a shorty clerestory...  I mean, I've tried, but I can't make Rule 1 trump my disbelief suspension mechanisms.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Steven B said:

and a good number of liveries & warning panel variations

Not to mention cab marker lights and 2-character headcode variations, and two different types of centre trailer, TS and TC.  There were two different green liveries as well, with and without lining.

Funfunfunfunfun.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I concur, and 16ton steel/7-plank minerals on 9' chassis would be a good idea, too (this comment is directed at Hornby as well).  It is time that the ghosts of 1960s Triang and HD generic chassis were exorcised fully and forever! 

Amen to that. Though it's perhaps ironic that "the underframe that distorted a million wagons"  had its origins with Airfix who, in the 1970s, did so much else to advance r-t-r standards. 

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

9’ wheelbase minerals, both all-steel 16tonners and 7-plank, were easily the most numerous type of wagon on the railway up to the 1980s, steam and green/banger blue diesel eras.  I can sort of understand the adoption of incorrect 10’ wb chassis for the early RTR producers, Rovex Triang and Hornby Dublo, but those wagons were the progenitors of current Hornby and (via Wrenn) Dapol minerals.  Airfix (who should have known better, having produced a correct plastic kit 16tonner for years) and Lima repeated this in the 70s; only Mainline got it right. 

The result is that the only RTR producers providing correctly sized minerals for many years were Bachmann, who inherited the Mainline range and, to their credit, produce a good variety of steel 16tonner types, and Oxford, who don’t do steel 16tonners at all and are unlikely to now.  Rapido are now in the game as well, all to the good.  But Hornby and Dapol are still knocking out their incorrect wagons, trapping the unwary…

If you’ve got one of these incorrect wagons, there’s little you can do to to rescue it; Dapol are still making them with moulded brake levers so the chassis is not worth keeping either.  The sides are stretched in failed attempts to make the proportions look right, so the diagonal strapping on 7-plankers is at the wrong angle, and the doors are too wide meaning that cutting the sides down to the correct length is a hiding to nothing.  They are basically landfill. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Vans, at least SR and GWR ones, are arguably even worse. Airfix, Mainline, Bachmann, Dapol and Hornby all made/make underframes only with full-width buffer beams then make those bodies over-wide so the corner strapping fits over them.

Given the quantities they must have produced collectively, would it really have broken the bank to tool a second underframe mould?

Prime example of saving the proverbial Ha'porth of tar!

John

Edited by Dunsignalling