Accurascale Goes Bananas! SR D1478 and D1479 Diagram Banana Vans in OO/4mm

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Mallard60022 said:

That's what I shall do thank you.

P

I cut the Red Panda floor down so that the underframe fits around it on to the bottom of the Dapol body. Gives it strength…..

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

I cut the Red Panda floor down so that the underframe fits around it on to the bottom of the Dapol body. Gives it strength…..

Another good one. I may try several as I have several Van Bodies. Ta Phil.

P

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

At this very moment on my desk there is a Dapol 246 being fitted with a Red Panda under frame. I've simply cut a piece of 0.040 to fill the hole. It's all quite a straightforward job.

Getting back to the Accurascale versions, I'm very happy with their choice. With the two SR types, plus Dap/RP and the Parkside kit it gives us a good variety for a train. I'm even happier to know that when there're not in use on my new project I can legally run them through Burngullow Lane on their way to Truro. Win, win!

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Can't have one ! ................................................... you gotta have two. 🙃

no one ever has just one…

• Round of applause 3
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, McC said:

no one ever has just one…

I don't know if I can drink Guinness anymore (my body has recently decided to become gluten intolerant) but if I can, you are indeed correct and shall be having some in multiples of not just one 😜

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

At this very moment on my desk there is a Dapol 246 being fitted with a Red Panda under frame. I've simply cut a piece of 0.040 to fill the hole. It's all quite a straightforward job.

Getting back to the Accurascale versions, I'm very happy with their choice. With the two SR types, plus Dap/RP and the Parkside kit it gives us a good variety for a train. I'm even happier to know that when there're not in use on my new project I can legally run them through Burngullow Lane on their way to Truro. Win, win!

Also bear in mind that there were still some of the ex-GER vans (Oxford Rail) kicking around through most of the 1950s. I have one (probably enough) that should leaven the SR/BR mix quite nicely.

My Ratio (now Parkside) BR kits are also rapidly rising up the to-do list. I think the ex-GWR ones (Parkside kit) went a bit too early for me, though.

John

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Also bear in mind that there were still some of the ex-GER vans (Oxford Rail) kicking around through most of the 1950s. I have one (probably enough) that should leaven the SR/BR mix quite nicely.

My Ratio (now Parkside) BR kits are also rapidly rising up the to-do list. I think the ex-GWR ones (Parkside kit) went a bit too early for me, though.

John

Thanks John. Yes, I forgot to mention the Oxford GE van even though I’ve just bought one! Coupling and brake lever surgery needed.

I have a Ratio/Parkside one to build and I’ll probably get one or two more.

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

Well well, wet day activity here too.

The only thing I found this morning with direct fit of UF to Dapol Body un-altered, was I needed to alter the Brake fittings; remove 1mm of the cross brace, as I had fitted a cut down Panda floor between the frame itself, once fitted to the underside of the Van Body, on which to stick the Brakes and Vacuum Tank. 

Next one I will just fill the 'hole' in the Body bottom, as you did and then the Brakes height won't need altering or the Vacuum Tank Actuator 'prong' trimming, as they will just sit on the original floor of the Body and filler piece. 

Good find with the Truro find... any excuse!

Phil

• Like 4

I do hope Dapol do a revised version or someone else Bachmann take note, i purchased several

Dapol and Parkside underframes but after building one i find the Dapol body is still not accurate

and not to scale plus time consuming would rather just purchase ready to go as i need several of these,

would also like to see the ex LMS version made, no i dont want to build the kit.

7 hours ago, paul 27 said:

I do hope Dapol do a revised version or someone else Bachmann take note, i purchased several

Dapol and Parkside underframes but after building one i find the Dapol body is still not accurate

and not to scale plus time consuming would rather just purchase ready to go as i need several of these,

would also like to see the ex LMS version made, no i dont want to build the kit.

Yes, the Dapol body is "of its time".  Removing that stupid raised patch for the number is a pain in the neck, and the bracing is a bit oversized.  I built 12 banana vans during lockdown (6 Parkside and 6 Dapol/Red Panda) and had been thinking of doing some more until Accurascale's announcement.

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
On 20/10/2022 at 06:24, Tim Dubya said:

I don't know if I can drink Guinness anymore (my body has recently decided to become gluten intolerant) but if I can, you are indeed correct and shall be having some in multiples of not just one 😜

In that case dear heart may I recommend more Cider in large quantities and varieties from yourn neck o t'woods! Absolutely GF if you go for the Proper Job stuff not the pi$$ that come out of a can or compressed sir at the Bar thingy. Must smell likes Cats' Hedges and preferably be cloudy with 'bits' in it.

Luuuuurvrly and no bananas involved.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

In that case dear heart may I recommend more Cider in large quantities and varieties from yourn neck o t'woods! Absolutely GF if you go for the Proper Job stuff not the pi$$ that come out of a can or compressed sir at the Bar thingy. Must smell likes Cats' Hedges and preferably be cloudy with 'bits' in it.

Luuuuurvrly and no bananas involved.

Indeed I do sir, and tonight I shall be treating myself to a cocktail.

I'll be chucking some gin in with it 😜

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

I think it may have been elsewhere that someone described how to do an altered Ratio/Peco/Parkside Van and a Red Panda UF? On the RP instruction sheet it suggests this could make an 8T 'Wood' Diagram1/244 I think it was?

If so, what has to happen to the Body?

If it was explained elsewhere perhaps someone with the strength and energy that I no longer have, post a link here?

Total admiration if you can and and many thanks in advance.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
Additional info ref Van.

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Tim Dubya said:

Indeed I do sir, and tonight I shall be treating myself to a cocktail.

I'll be chucking some gin in with it 😜

I am having Lemon Gin at the moment (with Carbonated water due to zero, except Coconut, Sugar Diet)  but hope to return to Fruit Gin around Christmas. Depends on my Meds review!!!!!

Does the 'Cocktail' involve Meths?

P

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

Erm...    ...Bonobo Banana Cockeyed Cider

or

https://brotherscider.co.uk/products/brothers-toffee-apple-cider

Guaranteed gluten free. Mixes luverly with half of Guin.

Those will have to wait a few weeks but, yummy. Absolutely superb by the looks of it. Just got to check for actual sugars.

The on topic bit is I drink those as I make Van Kits. Also I but loads more Accurascale ones after 6 Bottles.

P

• Funny 1