Hornby announce TT:120

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

It wasn’t this actual picture of the 08 that I first had issues with, in fact it looks a bit better on the 08 because of the extra detail it sort of disguises it, and also if with this particular coupling you can still have the buffer beam detail that’s a plus I think, but seeing the coupling on a bare end really stands out.4B5CB41E-376C-4C22-841E-482AA19E538D.jpeg.dde6d4ad825c702b272468082327f8e9.jpeg

I agree it doesn't look great in that photo, but I don't think that is an actual TT120 van, I think it's a photoshopped 00 van.

If you look at the couplings, they are at different heights, there is a gap between the mounting pin (?) and the coupling at the left hand end.  It is possible the picture of the photoshopped coupling is overscale and that the actual coupling will be nearer to scale.  Until we see the real TT120 wagons and couplings I don't think we should jump to any conclusions. (Except perhaps the photoshopping was done in a rush!)

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, frobisher said:

If you look, they aren't coupled together as the various bits are not overlapped...

Actually yes your correct, well I certainly do hope they couple as close as the Tillig vehicles do, that’ll be great.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Moxy said:

I agree it doesn't look great in that photo, but I don't think that is an actual TT120 van, I think it's a photoshopped 00 van.

If you look at the couplings, they are at different heights, there is a gap between the mounting pin (?) and the coupling at the left hand end.  It is possible the picture of the photoshopped coupling is overscale and that the actual coupling will be nearer to scale.  Until we see the real TT120 wagons and couplings I don't think we should jump to any conclusions. (Except perhaps the photoshopping was done in a rush!)

Must admit I did think those flanges looked a lot finer than those in some publicity shots.

Proof is in the eating, as they say…….get those knives and forks out.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Moxy said:

This picture:

Just compare the background masking residual traces just above the couplings by the brown lump:

image.png.57d1512cc6b7648f9c64fb1c316a8f25.png

5 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

Some info about ordering from the US.

I haven't received my TT:120 Club pack yet.

Tried ordering 'The Easterner' set.  All good until I tried using my UK NatWest card.  It didn't seem to like my billing postal code (zip code), tried several variations, still wouldn't go through.  Called Hornby to be advised that there must be a problem with the billing address.  I asked if I could order over the phone and was told yes but I wouldn't get my TT Club discount!

So tried my US debit card and it went straight through......Invoice as below including FREE SHIPPING!

TT1002M
The Easterner Train Set

Quantity: 1

£162.08
(Including £0.00 VAT)

Subtotal£162.08

Shipping£0.00

VAT£0.00

Discount (Hornby TT Club)-£24.31

Pre-order Total£137.77

Interesting...

It's now showing free postage to the US for me even for just one wagon.

Have canceled two of my preorders and redone them with the free postage.

Edited by BRTrainz
  • Friendly/supportive 2

14 hours ago, kernowtim said:

Nothing received yet, I joined 10th October and just checked my orders on the Hornby site and it is  "processing"

14 hours ago, 5Dublo2 said:

I don't think they started to mail out the packs  until last week as the first reports (in social media) of people receiving them, appeared from Thursday

Also if you read the e-mail Hornby sent that was called "Congratulations you are now a member of the Hornby TT:120 Club", then they do indicate that the packs might take up to 28 days to arrive

Thanks chaps, I'll keep weather eye open.

On 02/11/2022 at 14:53, APOLLO said:

Tri-ang did a French(ish) pacific in TT3.

image.png.a6163f1071d70a4a64f512a5eef32423.png

Brit15

Ish being the operative suffix. It's actually based on 1401, the last Pacific built for the French Alsace-Lorraine railway by SACM in 1933. It's an AL class S16 of which only two were ever built but you have to squint. It's not even one of the locos that was a standard German design which might have made some sense so I've no idea why Tri-ang went for it. Its not the most attractive locomotive ever built and Tri-ang didn't do it any favours but, if you want to know what it really looked like, Jean Buchmann who models the AL railways in the early 1930s has produced a very accurate H0 model of AL 1401 one and his video includes several works photos .

The TT stock Tri-ang built for the French market, and I think distributed via their French H0 subsidiary VEB, that I've seen on collectors' display layouts does seem far cruder than the British outline TT range. I think they must have been aiming more at the toy end of the market. It was also to 100th scale (ish!) What a difference sixty five years has made in RTR quality.

Edited by Pacific231G
grammar
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, daryll said:

So we have locos, coaches , track , buildings etc , but as yet no signals , and looking at the catalogue none planned.

I presume the Triang TT signals will be too big , Viessmann make 120 gauge coloured light signals but they are based on European design , not British , any Ideas

Well German design. They're as different from French, Italian, Spanish, Belgian........... signals as they are from British. Anyway, in 1957 it didn't take S&B more than about a month to get 3mm/ft British signals to market so I doubt you'll have too long a wait.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

It’s a shame the Tillig uses big dead frogs on the points, are there any with live frogs?

I use Tillig's H0m track- also 12mm gauge- and they definitely have live frogs so I think it's only their sectional track that has long dead frogs.  Peco's are Unifrog wich come out of the box as dead frog but which can be wired as live frog though that requires frog switching. 

• Informative/Useful 1

On 02/11/2022 at 07:40, kernowtim said:

Nothing received yet, I joined 10th October and just checked my orders on the Hornby site and it is  "processing"

Yes.

Just reviewed my "order".  I joined on the 10th at 1pm.  Its still "processing"....

Hey ho.  Its just bits of paper, plastic and a metal badge.  The important thing is that the Hornby website recognises me as a club member and applied the appropriate discount.  I can wait for the paperwork to catch up!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

I use Tillig's H0m track- also 12mm gauge- and they definitely have live frogs so I think it's only their sectional track that has long dead frogs.  Peco's are Unifrog wich come out of the box as dead frog but which can be wired as live frog though that requires frog switching. 

Yes, it was about the sectional track the previous thread comment.

• Friendly/supportive 1

18 hours ago, Ravenser said:

I wasn't aware that there is an NEM for TT couplings (NEM359), as well as for the coupler pockets (NEM355)

It does seem unfortunate (but too well established to change) that MOROP specified in NEM 355 the same coupler pocket height for TT as for N. It does place the the TT coupler a lot lower compared with the buffer beam. British modellers are used to that with NEM boxes for 4mm scale of course and that makes sense but MOROP did the same with H0 and S scale so I assume that TT was also seen as very much a minor scale that didn't need a completely different spec.  Curiously also that for H0m (and H0e and 009) the de facto standard coupler is a smaller version of the NEM 360 hinged loop though I think the coupler pockets must be to NEM355 in both cases.  The TT coupler actually looks rather more like a typical NG chopper coupler so might be worth investigating for that. 

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

Yes.

Just reviewed my "order".  I joined on the 10th at 1pm.  Its still "processing"....

Hey ho.  Its just bits of paper, plastic and a metal badge.  The important thing is that the Hornby website recognises me as a club member and applied the appropriate discount.  I can wait for the paperwork to catch up!

Had email from Hornby yesterday, due to the popularity of the TT:120 club, they advised that it may now take up to 60 day for my packege to arrive.

At least if you log in to the Hornby website to place an order, it regonises you as a member and applies the discount.

Regards,  John

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Happened across this video showing the class 08 running around with a Mk1 and some wagons.

The coupling arrangements seem a bit odd.

There is a large gap between the rear of the 08 and the Mk1, however the front end seems to be close coupled to the brake van.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

2 hours ago, irishmail said:

Had email from Hornby yesterday, due to the popularity of the TT:120 club, they advised that it may now take up to 60 day for my packege to arrive.

At least if you log in to the Hornby website to place an order, it regonises you as a member and applies the discount.

Regards,  John

Hi John, 

Talking of the goodies package - would you happen to know if it contains details of the phases beyond those (that I can find at least) on Hornby's site?

I've only been dipping in and out of this thread but people seem to have been talking about items up to phase 9 but, unless they're just making wild guesses/sarcastic comments, I can't find details on such 'distant' phases anywhere. 

If there's a way to found out what's further down the line (as it were...), I'd love to know.

I'm guessing I'll have to wait even longer for my package, being based in France. I'll probably get charged import duties on it as well...

Cheers,

Michael

32 minutes ago, BRTrainz said:

Happened across this video showing the class 08 running around with a Mk1 and some wagons.

The coupling arrangements seem a bit odd.

There is a large gap between the rear of the 08 and the Mk1, however the front end seems to be close coupled to the brake van.

The gap between 08 and either vehicle is considerably larger than that which I'm used in to TT:120.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Michanglais said:

Hi John, 

Talking of the goodies package - would you happen to know if it contains details of the phases beyond those (that I can find at least) on Hornby's site?

I've only been dipping in and out of this thread but people seem to have been talking about items up to phase 9 but, unless they're just making wild guesses/sarcastic comments, I can't find details on such 'distant' phases anywhere. 

If there's a way to found out what's further down the line (as it were...), I'd love to know.

I'm guessing I'll have to wait even longer for my package, being based in France. I'll probably get charged import duties on it as well...

Cheers,

Michael

It was something Simon Kohler said in response to a question someone asked him at Gaydon

I doubt that 'phase 9' is anything more concrete at the moment than - they have decided what to produce, started the research and maybe the CAD. 

Phases 1 - 4 are scheduled for release over the next 2 years or so.  We won't see any announcements or models in phase 9 for I reckon probably about 4 - 5 years.

I think it shows Hornby's commitment to the scale that they are planning that far ahead, even if it those plans change in the intervening years, they are in it for the long term.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2