Hornby announce TT:120

AY Mod

I would still reckon a Brighton Belle is on "the list".

I also have a feeling some of the answers were unintentional leaks and they didn't want to give away too much as it might impede on the main announcement for the 00 range.

Mentions of small engines yet didn't mention the Pannier (although a Jinty did get mentioned). Strange look when the Q came up....

Jason

• Funny 1

12 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

That's not a tank, that's a Maunsell tender loco 😜

Didn't mention tanks.

25 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Mentions of small engines

A Q is a small engine, and Hornby seem to like small black 0-6-0s.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

I would still reckon a Brighton Belle is on "the list".

I also have a feeling some of the answers were unintentional leaks and they didn't want to give away too much as it might impede on the main announcement for the 00 range.

Mentions of small engines yet didn't mention the Pannier (although a Jinty did get mentioned). Strange look when the Q came up....

Jason

And strange that  the intentional leaks of the CDA and Mk1 FO and RU they just showed the samples but did not say what they were.

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, britishcolumbian said:

So I gather from the video that the 66s will all be under the Hornby label, including the continental variants? Not that it matters to me either way, but.

They could elect to double badge the boxes for the Continental variants - like Hornby already do for the OO/HO gauge track packaging, which often shows Hornby, Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef & Electrotren logs. Would be easy for them to add an Arnold logo to the Hornby TT:120 box

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Didn't mention tanks.

A Q is a small engine, and Hornby seem to like small black 0-6-0s.

Jason

I bought an Ace Trains 0 gauge Q a few years ago and it is one of those engines that you can put on a track with up to 48 goods wagons and leave running all day. It has been overlooked by the manufacturers in 00 and N gauges but it looks like Hornby are just producing the models they made in 00 gauge.  As they have the field to themselves they could make models Bachmann have made in 00 gauge like the Jubilee and the Blue Pullman.

P1010549.JPG

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Robin Brasher said:

I bought an Ace Trains 0 gauge Q a few years ago and it is one of those engines that you can put on a track with up to 48 goods wagons and leave running all day. It has been overlooked by the manufacturers in 00 and N gauges but it looks like Hornby are just producing the models they made in 00 gauge.  As they have the field to themselves they could make models Bachmann have made in 00 gauge like the Jubilee and the Blue Pullman.

P1010549.JPG

Like a 57XX Pannier Tank? On the list, but they've never made one.

They made an 8750 but that hasn't been in the catalogue for over 40 years. I don't think they've done a Jinty for a long time either. The one they have is Railroad standard which we are being told these aren't.

Maybe new 00 versions of both due? Bachmann versions are looking dated and Hornby isn't shy of going up against the opposition such as with the 9F.

So could he have also leaked that a Q is on the radar? 

Jason

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

They made an 8750

My first ever Hornby loco.  I still have the chassis block, I murdered the rest in my quest for knowledge and to find out why it wouldn't run.  Turns out, after I'd taken the coupling rods off, I put them back on upsidedown, which is why I think it wouldn't run 🙄

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

I've always been tempted to build the SEF Q and I understand the Airfix 4F chassis will fit with some fettling, stickin' and gluin'.  So I'm wondering, if they are a close match why Hornby have never gone for a 4mm version, or is it that the 4F chassis is in reality no where near accurate enough?

Crownline converted an Airfix 00 gauge 4F to a Q class for me.  It was fairly successful but it is a non runner now. I also bought a Wills Q class on a Tri-ang chassis but this did not run very well either. I have never been very successful at building locomotive kits and that is why I wait for ready to run locomotives to come out.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, natterjack said:

Being a little confused on the matter of Pullman lighting I took up SK's invitation of direct email to which he very promptly answered. The train set Pullman cars are not fitted with lighting and nor are they easily converted by the simple addition of an led and pickups- which suggests they are not fitted with clear plastic light bar mouldings

Makes me wonder then why the Scotsman set is more expensive than the other one. 

• Agree 3

I have just heard from Sam's Trains that the Hornby TT:120 Pacific locomotives will have traction tyres although I have heard from Hornby that this is wrong and they will not have traction tyres.  Haulage power has always been a problem with TT gauge and that is why Tri-ang invented magnadhesion.  I have never had any problems with haulage with Minitrix or Graham-Farish in N gauge. The Graham-Farish models had metal bodies which helped with adhesion so perhaps this is something Hornby should do with their TT gauge models.  It will be interesting to see how the Hornby models perform once people extend their trains beyond a three coach train set.

Edited by Robin Brasher
Incorrect information received. I have corrected error.
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Robin: I assume you don't have the Minitrix Ivatt 2MT 2-6-0 then? It's notorious for its lack of pulling power, and mine is no exception to that. (The 2-6-2T is fine, however.) Pulling power shouldn't be so much of an issue as with TT3—models are much freer-running now.

Edited by D9020 Nimbus
Overtaken by other poster
  • Informative/Useful 1

14 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Makes me wonder then why the Scotsman set is more expensive than the other one. 

As the Pullmans will not have lights in the Scotsman set the additional cost of £30.70 does not seem to be justified.  I was thinking about buying the set but now I am going to wait until the 'Flying Scotsman' appears with some teak coaches and they get favourable reviews. I expect Hornby will make some more train sets later.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Robin: I assume you don't have the Minitrix Ivatt 2MT 2-6-0 then? It's notorious for its lack of pulling power, and mine is no exception to that. (The 2-6-2T is fine, however.) Pulling power shouldn't be so much of an issue as with TT3—models are much freer-running now.

I only ran the Ivatt 2MT with four coaches or a few goods wagons so I never tested its pulling power.  It lasted a long time and I have run it at exhibitions.

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, Robin Brasher said:

I have just heard from Sam's Trains that the Hornby TT:120 Pacific locomotives will have traction tyres.

Simon Kohler in the TT Talk video about 4 pages ago said there would be no traction tyres.

Edited by Moxy
missing word
  • Agree 5

16 minutes ago, Robin Brasher said:

I have just heard from Sam's Trains that the Hornby TT:120 Pacific locomotives will have traction tyres. Haulage power has always been a problem with TT gauge and that is why Tri-ang invented magnadhesion.  I have never had any problems with haulage with Minitrix or Graham-Farish in N gauge. The Graham-Farish models had metal bodies which helped with adhesion so perhaps this is something Hornby should do with their TT gauge models.  It will be interesting to see how the Hornby models perform once people extend their trains beyond a three coach train set.

In the video it's totally denied.

Don't listen to idiots on the internet....

Jason

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

16 minutes ago, Robin Brasher said:

I have just heard from Sam's Trains that the Hornby TT:120 Pacific locomotives will have traction tyres. Haulage power has always been a problem with TT gauge and that is why Tri-ang invented magnadhesion.  I have never had any problems with haulage with Minitrix or Graham-Farish in N gauge. The Graham-Farish models had metal bodies which helped with adhesion so perhaps this is something Hornby should do with their TT gauge models.  It will be interesting to see how the Hornby models perform once people extend their trains beyond a three coach train set.

What does he know! Does he work for Hornby?  Saw one of his youtube videos once and that was enough. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Half way through the episode two of the TT chat and I claim my 50% discount, pretty sure SK have mentioned 50% twice now, yes please SK 😁

That's funny. Everytime I've heard him mention the 15% discount, it's sounded more like 50%. No wonder the site won't accept my attempts at pre-orders!

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

32 minutes ago, Moxy said:

Simon Kohler in the TT Talk video about 4 pages ago said there would be no traction tyres.

Thank you. I should have checked with Simon Kohler before writing my post. I am sorry for the error.

33 minutes ago, Moxy said: