Hornby announce TT:120

AY Mod

12 minutes ago, friscopete said:

Do the Hornby  TT couplings allow a straightforward lift out of a wagon or such ? It greatly helps in fiddle yards .Its one of the great advantages of Kadees and fleischmann profi type couplers.I have not  got and TT yet .

thanks

No, you need to unhook them first.  You could use Fleischmann N gauge Profis if that's one you're happy with of course.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I am really impressed with my Hornby TT:120 set, though as a modeller in OO, the size reduction of TT is still a bit of a culture shock, not in a bad way I should add. 

I tested the clearance of a PECO TT:120 goods shed with a Pullman car, as that’s the only rolling stock available to use! All was fine.

I was interested to know more about the stock provided in the set.

The two First Class Kitchen Pullman cars, Cecilia and Chloria are 1928 ‘K’ stock used on the Golden Arrow train and later in the early 1960’s on the South Wales Pullman.

Car 64, a Third Class brake doesn’t seem to have existed however,

as Car 64 in reality was a Third Class Parlour car. (Not a brake).

6AB9F52E-14F0-483D-A74F-E5FB2A7D8267.jpeg

C5E7BBB6-A1C3-4F99-817D-23AB035AC403.jpeg

68730AFF-5C1D-4241-811E-2CCE538C380A.jpeg

A60EFEE1-273F-46D7-8FEE-6C0AAC72C92A.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

44 minutes ago, Jeff Smith said:

So, are the couplings bogie or body mounted on the coaches?

They are body mounted on a sprung mount

Difficult to see in most internet images as the front of the bogie has a recess which the mount pulls back into when the coaches are in  a straight line

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, tezzrexx said:

Had a TT:120 Scotsman turn up today, was pretty happy with it but I've noticed that one of rods is bent outwards slightly. Is this normal or am I seeing things?

IMG_20221223_184523.jpg

Rod?

I see a cylinder - RH as seen here - with an angled position.

CJI.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

My membership pack which was ordered on 28th October arrived today but still haven't received the newsletter that was said to be more likely to arrive first. Probably Royal Mail strikes to blame so will enjoy continuing to do the proof reading of the catalogue that Hornby failed to do.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

My membership pack which was ordered on 28th October arrived today but still haven't received the newsletter that was said to be more likely to arrive first. Probably Royal Mail strikes to blame so will enjoy continuing to do the proof reading of the catalogue that Hornby failed to do.

Still waiting my pack from 10th October but got  the first newsletter/magazine mid November.

• Friendly/supportive 1

I was messing around with Anyrail earlier (it was either that or sit watching Christmas telly...) and I noticed that the radius of the Hornby TT:120 TT8007 Radius 6 curve appears to be much larger than you would expect for Radius 6.

1st Radius to 4th Radius each increase by 43mm (i.e. track centres are 43mm apart as you go outwards from Radius 1 to successive curve radii) so Radius 6 should in theory be 482mm radius but the TT:120 Radius 6 curve is 640mm radius, which puts it somewhere between 9th and 10th Radius (611mm and 654mm respectively) - assuming I've got my sums correct, of course!

I know the TT8007 6th Radius curve track piece is there to maintain the correct track spacing for parallel track after a point, and that the diverging road off a point is generally not just a simple curve, but it just seems a bit odd to give it the seemingly arbitrary name of 6th radius.

Or is there something I'm missing? I have to say that's very likely and isn't entirely unknown!

Happy Christmas to all!

Cheers, Neil.

Edited by Porfuera

1 hour ago, Porfuera said:

I know the TT8007 6th Radius curve track piece is there to maintain the correct track spacing for parallel track after a point, and that the diverging road off a point is generally not just a simple curve, but it just seems a bit odd to give it the seemingly arbitrary name of 6th radius.

Or is there something I'm missing? I have to say that's very likely and isn't entirely unknown!

They might be looking to do a 5th radius curve down the line of 597mm radius possibly?  That might give them some options for large radius curved points perhaps?

56 minutes ago, frobisher said:

They might be looking to do a 5th radius curve down the line of 597mm radius possibly?  That might give them some options for large radius curved points perhaps?

I kind of thought that to begin with, but there is such a difference in the radii is it like having the orbits of Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars... and then Pluto! Well, maybe not that extreme but I'm just illustrating the point...! 🤪

According to Anyrail, this is how the radii appear - the points are there to illustrate where each successive radius would be outside of Radius 4. Note that existing "Radius 6" falls between Radius 9 and Radius 10 (slightly closer to Radius 9 than 10).

I just think it is a bit odd to call it "Radius 6" when it is nowhere near...

Marketing, I guess! They don't want to put off the potential trainset buyers by calling it "radius-nine-and-a-bit".

Cheers, Neil.

800x1100 Radius 1 to 6.jpg

Edited by Porfuera
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Porfuera said:

I kind of thought that to begin with, but there is such a difference in the radii is it like having the orbits of Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars... and then Pluto! Well, maybe not that extreme but I'm just illustrating the point...! 🤪

According to Anyrail, this is how the radii appear - the points are there to illustrate where each successive radius would be outside of Radius 4. Note that existing "Radius 6" falls between Radius 9 and Radius 10 (slightly closer to Radius 9 than 10).

It'll be more like the Minitrix N gauge track.  Their 3rd and 4th radii were not based on a track centre progression from r1 and r2, but keyed to their larger radius points.

Hornby already have something like this in 00, R628 "large radius" curve that's the return curve for the Y point and Express points (in conjunction with an R610 quarter straight), they just didn't assign a "Radius" to it but it was relatively speaking a late addition to the geometry.

Edited by frobisher
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, Porfuera said:

I was messing around with Anyrail earlier (it was either that or sit watching Christmas telly...) and I noticed that the radius of the Hornby TT:120 TT8007 Radius 6 curve appears to be much larger than you would expect for Radius 6.

Radius 6 is just a nominal name they gave the curve that was significantly larger than Radius 4 , it is not based on the same spacing that exists between 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4.

The curve itself is there just to set a parallel line from a point that meets the correct spacing and is not intended to be used to make a full oval (which does not mean that it won't be used for that of course)

• Agree 2

17 minutes ago, BRTrainz said:

Scotsman set is now showing as "in stock" and is no longer a pre-order item.

Good news but I would hope that this is because a new delivery has arrived in the UK rather than there being left-over stock from the initial 828(?) or so sets that were rushed over from China.

However The Easterner is still showing as pre-order so this may not be the case but I hope not.

Edited by Porfuera
Typo
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Porfuera said:

Good news but I would hope that this is because a new delivery has arrived in the UK rather than there being left-over stock from the initial 828(?) or so sets that were rushed over from China.

However The Easterner is still showing as pre-order so this may not be the case but I hope not.

I think they got a substantial stock recently. My Scotsman arrived on Friday 🙂

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, andrewshimmin said:

Any top tips for uncoupling? I've heard people mention ice lolly sticks or coffee stirrers. What's really needed is something L shaped in wood or plastic to uncouple from above but go underneath the couplings. Any ideas?

Andrew,

Google 'lab spatula' - the one with one flat, square end and one angled, rounded end.

Invaluable for paint stirring, as well.

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

Andrew,

Google 'lab spatula' - the one with one flat, square end and one angled, rounded end.

John Isherwood.

You can tape the flat end to a small torch so you can see what you're doing in dark corners too!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Andrew,

John Isherwood.

Please not metal though, especially for DCC!

• Like 2