Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby announce TT:120

AY Mod

2 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

It’s in my post you quoted I never mentioned Hornby! 

F00B4C12-76E2-4AA5-9447-F8CEEB00E6CF.jpeg.ab826d6fe35e5bf36052eb2dff0111a3.jpeg

So speculation from someone else, note the word "likely"! No wonder stuff gets twisted so easily on the internet!

3 minutes ago, Pmorgancym said:

So they held back mass marketing because they knew they'd screw up the launch :)

Or to look at it from a different perspective, they took the sensible option... 😉

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Hobby said:

So speculation from someone else, note the word "likely"! No wonder stuff gets twisted so easily on the internet!

Hence the gently poking fun at ‘likely’ with a smiley 😉

No wonder humour gets twisted so easily on the internet!

😉

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1

For those who can't wait for Hornby stuff to be available, and who (unlike me!) don't want to mix TT3 with TT:120, it's worth noting that quite a few 3mm suppliers are now offering TT:120 versions of their products, including Lincoln Locos (which are well reviewed and have a large range).

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

Yes, there's a separate thread on the Lincoln locos, personally I'm happy to wait, most of the stuff I want is scheduled for the next couple of years so plenty of time to build the layout once I have an Easterner set to play with!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, PaulRhB said:

It’s in my post you quoted I never mentioned Hornby! 

But you were rather deliberately oblique there trying to imply it was Hornby by using "they" to refer to me so don't sit at the back there looking all blameless.

Anyway, the assumption of a single palate was from up the thread somewhere and early morning arithmetic is not a strength (probably 3 plates...), but the ratio of the two consignment quantities looks to be around roughly the ratio between airfreight palate heights and container palate heights which was the point I was trying to make.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

On a positive, none of this is impacting on retailers..........

Well, just pre-ordered a second Sonic A5 instead instead of the Scotsman set.

My possible TT-project is temporarly on hold. I'll wait for future releases to make up my mind.

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, frobisher said:

But you were rather deliberately oblique there trying to imply it was Hornby by using "they" to refer to me so don't sit at the back there looking all blameless.

deliberately oblique? 🤣

10 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

It’ll be a hell of a tall single pallet with 828 or 1102 of those boxes on them! I reckon without my set box to hand you’d be lucky to get 6-8 on each layer so you’d be talking 100 plus layers. At 50mm deep you’d be talking 5m tall and that isn’t going to fit in a 9ft 6in container let alone a plane 😉 

Whereabouts did I use they? The only use of them refers to the pallet in the first sentence 😉

Edited by PaulRhB

2 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

No they said one palate 😇 

Which is why I quoted the relevant post that did and put 😉 at the end!

😉

Numbered certificates inside boxes is funny enough but this chasing numbers on packing cartons is hilarious 🤣

4 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Whereabouts did I use they? The only use of them refers to the pallet in the first sentence 😉

Right there as above...

Edited by frobisher

• RMweb Gold
Just now, frobisher said:

That was in the subsequent posts to Blair’s original though so nothing to do with Hornby as I was referring to what was said in the original post again.

If you want oblique in the context of this discussion try looking up palate! 😉

• Funny 2

3 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

That was in the subsequent posts to Blair’s original though so nothing to do with Hornby as I was referring to what was said in the original post again.

If you want oblique in the context of this discussion try looking up palate! 😉

Well blow me, isn't autocorrect rather than "always correct" such a problem... I shall remain humbled...

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, frobisher said:

Well blow me, isn't autocorrect rather than "always correct" such a problem... I shall remain humbled...

Yup ain’t technology great! 😆 

It made me smile though when I escaped from route setting on the panel at 0200 this morning so there’s always an upside as you cheered me up as I staggered home to bed!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hobby said:

They didn't say it was "one" pallet, though, that's come from speculation on here, all Simon said was that they were trying to get space to get them airlifted, I suppose what we got was the maximum they could get at an acceptable price. Come to that I've not seen anything in writing saying that they did airlift the sets, though it's a reasonable assumption in view of the known timescales, though could they have been airlifted to another European country and transferred here in view of the comments made about customs? Yet another thing for people to speculate on!! 

That would normally be done under the airline waybill.

A surprising amount of airfreight moving to/from LHR over AMS/CDG/FRA hubs actually travels on a flight using a wing-less aircraft with 4 wheels at an altitude of zero feet. (Same applies to Manchester/ LHR legs)

• Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, bradfordbuffer said:

If real world problems where all down to how many boxes on a pallet...and was it air lifted or not..

Good old rmweb.....froth over nothing! 

I have to agree but nothing else to discuss until the Easterners arrive with customers.....

I wonder how many of these early sets have been ordered by established modellers just out of curiosity and will go back in the box after test running?  I am not normally a RTR purchaser and cannot really rationalize my interest as I have another layout to build ahead of any potential TT:120 one!

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, bradfordbuffer said:

If real world problems where all down to how many boxes on a pallet...and was it air lifted or not..

Good old rmweb.....froth over nothing! 

Hell yeah ! Who gives a toss how many made, sold.

I think people have too much leave on their hands….do something useful….like me…shouting that the wife is a “ disciple of Satan “ as she’s taking my decorations down . 

• Like 1
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

58 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

do something useful….like me…shouting that the wife is a “ disciple of Satan “ as she’s taking my decorations down . 

My decs will be up until the 5th, they'll take all of 10 minutes to pack away, and then the room will look dull and bare...

Boxes on a pallett - it'll creeping into how many angels can dance on a pinhead next!

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Todays general email from Hornby advertising 'Hornby:A Model World is back on TV' includes The Scotsman avail to order.  The web site says 'last few'.......

Clicking on the link now says out of stock.....

Edited by Jeff Smith
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

I have to agree but nothing else to discuss until the Easterners arrive with customers.....

I wonder how many of these early sets have been ordered by established modellers just out of curiosity and will go back in the box after test running?  I am not normally a RTR purchaser and cannot really rationalize my interest as I have another layout to build ahead of any potential TT:120 one!

Agree I had pre order for a set and a 08...

But pulled plug as it would end up in box next to my new Hornby rocket!...tested and put away

4 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

42 minutes ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Agree I had pre order for a set and a 08...

But pulled plug as it would end up in box next to my new Hornby rocket!...tested and put away

Au contaire! I already had an order for an 08 and some wagons but in spite of that I've just this evening ordered an Easterner!

I have to say I don't know why - I don't really have the space for a roundy-roundy and I don't do steamers and carriages - quite the opposite... I prefer smallish diesels and freight wagons.

So I do agree that they will probably end up in a cupboard like most of the other stuff I buy.

In the meantime I'll have to pray that the Domestic Authority doesn't find out what I've just done...

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Jeff Smith said:

Seems like a popular combination.  I did order the blue 08 but cancelled - wouldn't have done if it had been green to shunt the Mk1 coaches.......

Exactly...

The Easterner and a green 08 would have "Minories" written all over it.  Instead, when the set arrives, its going to be the basis of a double track roundy.  And as it has been discovered that the new Hornby TT120 track is more or less compatible with Triang TT3 wheels, I'll be able to exercise my old TT3 stock on the layout too, though not at the same time as the new stuff...

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1