Hornby announce TT:120

AY Mod

1 hour ago, Edge said:

one of them probably is the J94 - as that was announced already I suspect that this is the one in tooling. Can’t recall any other announcements myself (although that doesn’t mean there weren’t any), but picking guesses from the clear blue sky you’d have to think that the Terrier and Jinty would be favourites for the second engine 

From what I remember a GWR Pannier (57?) was mentioned somewhere in one of the later stages so was probably that.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Bit embarrassing!  But suppose its not as bad as the loco on the display stand with its tender the wrong way round....

I suspect it was put that way to show the tender footplate detail but they never allowed it far enough round to show it!

39 minutes ago, JohnR said:

Its actually listed in the TT catalogue under Phase 3/4

Thanks, I knew I'd seen it somewhere, that answers the question for Andrew.

What I don't really understand about Hornsby's TT strategy is that they seem to be issuing stock in the first wave that wouldn't normally have run together at the same time or same place.

Would it not have been better to start with common modern image items? Eg a DB 66, DB 08, Cross Country HST, 170, DRS 68 and Mk2 Riviera coaches etc.

I am interested in the scale but couldn't build a realistic and coherent railway with what is in the pipeline so far.

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, fezza said:

What I don't really understand about Hornsby's TT strategy is that they seem to be issuing stock in the first wave that wouldn't normally have run together at the same time or same place.

Would it not have been better to start with common modern image items? Eg a DB 66, DB 08, Cross Country HST, 170, DRS 68 and Mk2 Riviera coaches etc.

I am interested in the scale but couldn't build a realistic and coherent railway with what is in the pipeline so far.

Think that was clear in TV program......Scotsman....100 years old....Hornby tt120 to sponsor NRM...tv coverage to none modelling house holds....(Hornby target group)

Look at froth Scotsman causes on main line when out I personally got cautioned from signaler for members of public wandering around main line. Every local newspaper ran articles when Scotsman running

• Like 2

Not only that but the stuff they are launching also is known to sell well, most of the stuff listed by Fezza might sell to some enthusiasts but someone just wanting a set to look nice and play with wouldn't choose, for instance, a 170! Once it's established they will (or someone else will) start to sell the sort of stuff he mentions, all of which (other than the 08) I have no interest in whatsoever (which is another point to take into account, what appeals to one person won't always appeal to another)!

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, fezza said:

Everything in the sets can run together, and did on the 1950s ECML . It's a little awkward if the Stanier Pacifics are delayed and the Stanier coaches are out 6 months before them, but LMS Period 3 coaches + Mark1s is what WCML passenger trains in the 1950s were formed of

There is an IFA container wagon in the Arnold TT releases this year - apparently some of them have seen service in Britain

To be pedantic - the company is Hornby, not as spelt.

"This is Hornsby. This is Hornsby . All out, all change. This train terminates in the car sheds"

NSWGR79017.jpg.5f7c243e7567dbe443637bdc2661ff4d.jpg

Hornsby NSW, looking south, late 1979. Terminating N Shore line service on the left - which is probably what I'd arrived on

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, fezza said:

No. Like this, everyone who has some interest in getting into TT has something to look forward to; e.g. for my part I have little interest in modelling the post-1990 scene (anywhere in the world, really), so all those you mention would leave me completely cold other than the 08 as something to repaint. Basically, Hornby's line would be at best something I look at as a potential source for powered chassis, until the eventual day they decide to release some proper trains... whereas like this they have a fair number of things to look forward to.

Just need to be a little bit patient... the internet really has spoilt everyone.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

1 hour ago, Ravenser said:

Everything in the sets can run together, and did on the 1950s ECML . It's a little awkward if the Stanier Pacifics are delayed and the Stanier coaches are out 6 months before them, but LMS Period 3 coaches + Mark1s is what WCML passenger trains in the 1950s were formed of

There is an IFA container wagon in the Arnold TT releases this year - apparently some of them have seen service in Britain

"This is Hornsby. This is Hornsby . All out, all change. This train terminates in the car sheds"

Hornsby NSW, looking south, late 1979. Terminating N Shore line service on the left - which is probably what I'd arrived on

Funny looking Mk1s

16 minutes ago, britishcolumbian said:

Well I've always wanted to model the Camber Railway too, but for those obscure prototypes we all have to be patient, or turn to scratchbuilding.

There is a bit of a difference though. I certainly wouldn't be thinking of the SR as an obscure prototype.

Maybe they haven't announced any Southern yet as it might be spoilers for what is to come over the next year or two in 00?

New versions of the Bullied Light Pacifics must be near the top of the list. The Schools is a bit old now as well. Both would fit in very well in TT with the Pullmans and also make good train sets with evocative names like Golden Arrow and Bournemouth Belle. Some BR green Mark Ones would be an open goal as well.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 11/01/2023 at 16:37, Chuffed 1 said:

I can’t see the same commitment to two gauges simultaneously, especially in these troubled times, and fear Hornby is pulling out of 00 and N.

I wonder whether this is Hornby wanting to get into another (smaller) scale, so that customers have a choice of big or little, but think N is already too crowded for a newcomer in that scale and are opting for TT120 so as to carve themselves a bit of a niche, at least to get established.

TT-120 scale also means that they are entering a scale where there is also quite wide support outside the UK. (and a slight bit of harking back to the days of Triang's TT)

I can't see them dropping 00 as that's bread and butter stuff for them, there's too many loyal customers out there for them to abandon.

Bear in mind much of their basic 00 stuff is not aimed at RMWeb viewers.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, britishcolumbian said:

Well I've always wanted to model the Camber Railway too, but for those obscure prototypes we all have to be patient, or turn to scratchbuilding.

there a stl for Camber on thingiverse

123.jpg.01294cb28a696643f222639db4bdd8b6.jpg

my own N6.5 version and associated coach

Edited by nick_bastable
picture
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Hobby said:

For those who say the things can't run together, ever looked at heritage lines recently, not to mention specials? Also if you model the line next to the mainline you can include the modern stuff as well!

Errr look on main line...buffer fitted hst power cars pulling wagons and unfitted new delivery emu or dmus!.....nothing more strange than that

Has every one forgot e70 brake systems (hst and 56 and 58s) where prohibited from part fitted and un fitted trains! Atheist that was the rule on London midland section of BR don't know for other regions 

5 hours ago, Ravenser said:

I didn't know that but in fairness to remember the 1950s ECML you'd have to be almost 80 now! Not really a policy to attract youth....

It's interesting that the best train sim on computer TSW offers almost entirely post 1990 routes and rolling stock. Model railways seem to be catering for a much older demographic these days.

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, fezza said:

I didn't know that but in fairness to remember the 1950s ECML you'd have to be almost 80 now! Not really a policy to attract youth....

It's interesting that the best train sim on computer TSW offers almost entirely post 1990 routes and rolling stock. Model railways seem to be catering for a much older demographic these days.

Well thanks for the compliment. .

5 hours ago, PeterStiles said:

(cough) Southern Railway/Region (cough)

There is a 73 listed so I am assuming green Mk1's will follow. In one of the TT talk videos Simon said the terrier is on the to-do list. Not ideal but surely a merchant navy isn't far off. Given how long they have apparently been working on TT in the background they could have drawn up one when channel packet released

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, fezza said:

For the record, I'm some way short of retirement and was born just slightly before the end of ER steam. Mk1s are still marginally with us , and any reference material will tell you the first ones were introduced in 1951 with many thousands built up to 1964 . Obvously express trains on British Railways thoughout the 1950s featured lots of Mk1s

The last Mk1 in frontline revenue service was a buffet with Anglia c2005 and I'm old enough to remember that - not least because it regularly appeared in the 18:00 Norwich and my regular commuter train at that time left 2 minutes later from an adjacent platform...

However Mk1s are still with us , because they are the normal coaching stock for steam railtours, as everything from Mk2a onwards is airbraked. They are also the backbone of preservation services.

Hence Mk1 coaches are pretty foundational to RTR in any scale. Almost nothing else has lasted so long - no other coach was so universal

Since the Pullman varient of the Mk1 did not appear until about 1960, clearly Pullman services in the 1950s used the older Pullman cars.

It is worth pointing out that train sims are necessarily offered to a younger demographic , which may skew things. Those over 50 are dramatically less likely to be into any kind of computer game

"Best" is always subjective. But you might like to have a look at this major thread .. Annies' Virtual Pre-Grouping    There's a huge amount in there

• Like 1

Yes there's absolutely nothing wrong with modelling the distant past. I love some historic layouts even though I'm a diesel man. Just not sure the 1950s will build a younger market for TT. 

It is sobering to remember when Peter Denny started modelling Buckingham he was modelling a scene that was only just over three decades in the past... 1990ish is the modern equivalent!

Edited by fezza
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2