Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby announce TT:120

AY Mod

17 minutes ago, meatloaf said:

Easterner and Scotsman sets both now arrived at Hornby

Yep, had my email this morning, not long now... Must get down to Footplate and chase up those right hand Peco points!!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, scots region said:

Isn't there supposed to be a 15% discount for club members? Or will that be retroactively applied? 

That discount only shows on the checkout page, if you are logged in.  It doesn't apply to any Hornby International brands, as far as I know.  (I have recently ordered TT:120 track and got the 15% off, but a subsequent order for an Arnold TT Kof didn't give the discount.)

Edited by Moxy
Spelling mistake

52 minutes ago, Stefen1988 said:

It looks like Continental Customer can Order Hornby TT Stuff over Hornby's Arnold Website.

I guess you still get it delivered from UK, without an European Stock.

https://de.arnoldmodel.com/catalogue/Hornby-tt120

that seems logical as I can order Arnold TT from the Hornby website.  I got a whole heap of Hornby points from my 2-10-0 order...

Les

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Moxy said:

That discount only shows on the checkout page, if you are logged in.  It doesn't apply to any Hornby International brands, as far as I know.  (I have recently ordered TT:120 track and got the 15% off, but a subsequent order for an Arnold TT Kof didn't give the discount.)

But I'm not international, I'm in the UK. 

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, 009 micro modeller said:

I think the point is that Arnold as a brand is international.

Yes, that is what I meant.  The 15% only applies to UK TT Club sales AFAIK.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, teletougos said:

But -  spoked wheels were much used in the UK. Not so on the continent. Far as I know there are no 1:120 3' spoked wheels available right now. Hakl make an 8.3mm one which is nice but it certainly ain't cheap.

Spoked wheels were very much used in continental Europe. I don't know when new wagons generally went over to solid or monobloc wheels but the French OCEM 1929 wagons (designed not surprisingly in 1929)  originally had spoked wheels and a good number of wagons with spoked wheels survived in Europe well into the 1950s and probably the 1960s. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPluxT9j1sM

This SNCF film from I think 1959 shows a new type of anti shock tank wagon and, if you look at the wagons in the background, at least half of them appear to have spoked wheels.

Tillig's solid wheelsets for TT  are 7.5mm and 8mm but they also do spoked wheels for H0m which, according to my digital callipers, are about 8.5mm. The rim and spokes may though be a tad heavy for standard gauge in 1:120 scale though the size is right for 40 inch wheels and, looking at old photos, most spoked wheels appear to be larger than more modern solid wheels.  

Edited by Pacific231G

All new build German Coaches after 1920 beginning with the DRG "Hechtwagen" from 1923 had solid wheels. Pre DRG  Prussian "Steel" Coaches had them already from 1911. Pre DRG Bavarian and Wurttembergian Coaches were still build with spoked wheels arround 1920.

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, scots region said:

But I'm not international, I'm in the UK. 

I'm in the UK.  You don't get the 15% on Arnold but you do get the 10% in reward points.  My 2-10-0 gained me £39 worth, a nice discount off a future purchase.

Les

• Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, Les1952 said:

I'm in the UK.  You don't get the 15% on Arnold but you do get the 10% in reward points.  My 2-10-0 gained me £39 worth, a nice discount off a future purchase.

Les

You don't get the 15% off the HM7000 stuff either - I ordered a N18TXS Bluetooth and DCC Sound Decoder last night and it was full price. It makes sense I suppose because these aren't specifically TT:120.

A quick google has just shown that this would have been slightly cheaper from model shops / box shifters instead of direct from Hornby, although from those there will be postage to pay which might negate the cheaper price (or some of it) and I guess Hornby will have them in stock first.

And a further check shows that you get the reward points with these as well - 700 points for the decoder equals £7 so that pretty much makes up for the price difference between Hornby and model shops.

I wonder what model shops are thinking about the Hornby Rewards scheme...

Edited by Porfuera
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

9 minutes ago, Porfuera said:

You don't get the 15% off the HM7000 stuff either - I ordered a N18TXS Bluetooth and DCC Sound Decoder last night and it was full price. It makes sense I suppose because these aren't specifically TT:120.

A quick google has just shown that this would have been slightly cheaper from model shops / box shifters instead of direct from Hornby, although from those there will be postage to pay which might negate the cheaper price (or some of it) and I guess Hornby will have them in stock first.

And a further check shows that you get the reward points with these as well - 700 points for the decoder equals £7 so that pretty much makes up for the price difference between Hornby and model shops.

I wonder what model shops are thinking about the Hornby Rewards scheme...

Is rewards automatically signed up if in club? Or separate sign up

27 minutes ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Is rewards automatically signed up if in club? Or separate sign up

It came after the TT:120 club (this year maybe?) and I'm pretty sure it is a separate sign-up. A quick check on the Hornby web site should confirm. 200 bonus points (a whole £2!) were awarded for joining and another 200 because I had an active pre-order. You only get the points after the goods are despatched I think so presumably pre-orders still qualify but that's a guess.

Edited by Porfuera

On 01/02/2023 at 22:12, Jeff Smith said:

I notice that the digital train sets include DC controllers so assume that the chips are dual mode?

On 01/02/2023 at 22:26, Porfuera said:

That is not my understanding - I believe the digital sets contain a 15V power supply but no controller. The controller is an app that you download to a smart device to control the DCC chip via bluetooth.

However I also believe that the locos will run on DC (but in DCC mode - I don't know if a CV change is required for this) and the loco is still controlled via the bluetooth app. You need to crank up the DC voltage to maximum initially to 'wake up' the chip but after that I assume that the DC voltage can be turned down to control DC locos.

If I've got that wrong feel free to correct me!

It looks like I wasn't 100% correct with my answers to this. It looks like a DC controller may have to stay on full power in order to power the chipped loco so you wouldn't be able to run a DC loco from the same DC controller.

There is a useful post here with some answers directly from SK if anyone is interested, plus a whole thread on it:

• RMweb Premium

2 hours ago, Porfuera said:

It looks like I wasn't 100% correct with my answers to this. It looks like a DC controller may have to stay on full power in order to power the chipped loco so you wouldn't be able to run a DC loco from the same DC controller.

There is a useful post here with some answers directly from SK if anyone is interested, plus a whole thread on it:

Problem is - I emailed SK a question about how many dongles are required - i.e. one per multiple phones/devices, or one per phone/device.

He said one dongle for multiple devices, but this was later contradicted by someone who has been beta testing the HM7000.

I'm not too sure, they know all the answers yet and thus wary of SKs responses

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Porfuera said:

It came after the TT:120 club (this year maybe?) and I'm pretty sure it is a separate sign-up. A quick check on the Hornby web site should confirm. 200 bonus points (a whole £2!) were awarded for joining and another 200 because I had an active pre-order. You only get the points after the goods are despatched I think so presumably pre-orders still qualify but that's a guess.

There is tick box to also sign up for rewards when joining the club, if you didn't tick the box or joined before the rewards scheme was launched you need to sign  up separately.

• Thanks 1

From memory, TT was launched the day after GETS, so 10/10/22. The rewards scheme was launched at the Warley show at the end of November 22. You need to sign up individually for each.

Regarding the 200 points for pre-orders, I seem to recall that Hornby were going to withdraw these points and apply points against the value of the pre-order. Anyone else remember this?

32 minutes ago, simmo009 said:

Regarding the 200 points for pre-orders, I seem to recall that Hornby were going to withdraw these points and apply points against the value of the pre-order. Anyone else remember this?

That rings a bell but I was just going by my online statement - the first entry was "Extra points for active pre-order" +200pts and the second entry was "Opt In" +200pts.

I joined the Rewards scheme on 22nd of November but my orders prior to the 22nd (Class 08 and the three TTAs) aren't showing up on the statement so I don't know whether those have been retrospectively included or not. To find that out I'd need to go through all the orders and pre-orders and add up the points from each individual order and then check this against the pending total to confirm whether they are in there or not.

On 02/02/2023 at 17:02, Hobby said:

Yep, had my email this morning, not long now... Must get down to Footplate and chase up those right hand Peco points!!

I had my e-mail yesterday too. Then today I got a DPD e-mail with a tracking link that comes up as "oops, bad request.... Fingers crossed that it arrives when I'm home.

Luke

Thinking about it,  the points may go into pending when the pre-order becomes an order, I.e. when it is despatched,  and then become active 2 - 3 weeks later. I have emailed customer services so I will let you know what they say when I hear something. 

• Thanks 1