Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby announce TT:120

AY Mod

10 hours ago, Ravenser said:

In the meantime there would be the possibility of 3D printed bodies from Lincoln Loco. That said, Lenny Seeney hasn't done AC electrics in 3mm so there is nothing to scale down...

Lincoln Loco's already have several AC electrics listed.

https://lincoln-loco.co.uk/ac-electric/

Drop him an message and ask!

In terms of chassis the Tillig 112/143 has about the right size bogie wheelbase (Cl 81 3277mm to Br 143 3300mm) . The chassis will need to be adjusted :)

Luke

• Like 1

Minories was discussed way back in this or another thread.  I have a 9'11" shelf so have been doing some rough calculations regarding a Minories layout in TT in that space.  Assuming two scenic boards and a FY.  In theory three boards of equal length for stacking purposes 3x39" boards would allow a 4 coach + tender loco train (approx 38") to be operated.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

Minories was discussed way back in this or another thread.  I have a 9'11" shelf so have been doing some rough calculations regarding a Minories layout in TT in that space.  Assuming two scenic boards and a FY.  In theory three boards of equal length for stacking purposes 3x39" boards would allow a 4 coach + tender loco train (approx 38") to be operated.

I did a quick play around with AnyRail - the yellow panels are 1m long (close enough to your 39").

This is an idea for after my round-and-round.

It's only a sketch, it's not a thought through plan.

Minories.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1

The problem with Minories is that to work it, we need two smaller locos, one for hauling suburban services and one for a station pilot. Ok, the smaller ones can be the same type and swap over (as envisaged by CJF) or we need an appropriately liveried 08 as a station pilot to release the main line loco and a 1st gen DMU class for suburbans.

And to do a "Modern Image" Minories, just before track rationalisation kicks in, 31s, 37s, etc and more DMUs!

At present all we have are two express locos and some 08s in inappropriate liveries RSN.

So Minories is pretty much an aspiration at present...

Edited by Hroth
A bit extra
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

My Easterner arrived this morning, I'm about to go to work so won't have time to set it up, but I did run it up and down a length of Peco H0m track using a Gaugemaster D controller and it ran very smoothly and quietly in both directions...

6h1raHS.jpg

TqPm4XR.jpg

6xxiE81.jpg

A9E9t2b.jpg

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

To add to the last post i was quite impressed with the Hornby points as well, they certainly don't look particularly "train set" in appearance. I was going to go for Peco track out front and Hornby in the fiddle yard, but after looking at the points I may keep to Hornby out front and just use the Peco flexi track as their points are half the price of Peco and I can live with the dead frog.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 minutes ago, Hobby said:

To add to the last post i was quite impressed with the Hornby points as well, they certainly don't look particularly "train set" in appearance. I was going to go for Peco track out front and Hornby in the fiddle yard, but after looking at the points I may keep to Hornby out front and just use the Peco flexi track as their points are half the price of Peco and I can live with the dead frog.

Flex track from Hornby is due in a few months I believe.

5 hours ago, andrewshimmin said:

I did a quick play around with AnyRail - the yellow panels are 1m long (close enough to your 39").

Minories.jpg

Thanks for that, largely as expected.  I assume you used Hornby points, Peco pointwork would be a bit longer, half an inch per point.

7 hours ago, Hroth said:

The problem with Minories is that to work it, we need two smaller locos, one for hauling suburban services and one for a station pilot. Ok, the smaller ones can be the same type and swap over (as envisaged by CJF) or we need an appropriately liveried 08 as a station pilot to release the main line loco and a 1st gen DMU class for suburbans.

And to do a "Modern Image" Minories, just before track rationalisation kicks in, 31s, 37s, etc and more DMUs!

At present all we have are two express locos and some 08s in inappropriate liveries RSN.

So Minories is pretty much an aspiration at present...

Yes, a large tank would be useful, and wouldn't need to be turned - the large tender engines would ideally need to be turned.  A fiddle yard with full turntable might have to be used.

• RMweb Premium

Sam's Trains also started a series about TT:120. Nothing special, baseboard etc, most interesting to me is that Hornby, for such a company, is still not able to combine orders, or even split single orders up.

I heard this earlier on social media, people who ordered the whole Midland Pullman at once, and got it in several pieces. Including individual postage paid.

Sam got his money back, I hope (but doubt) Hornby wil learn.

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Johan DC said:

Sam got his money back, I hope (but doubt) Hornby wil learn.

If you get multiple parcels in the same day, Horbby Customer Services are used to people ringing up and asking for postage-money-back. The three or four times its happened to me they've always agreed immediately(*) and agreed that their system isn't exactly perfect. (**)

Its "fairly" well known that their systems can't combine with multiple pre-orders being dispatched at the same time and its clearly the worst part of their fulfilment; as more and more is sold on pre-order rather than From Stock they will have to sort that out at some stage.

(*) Cough. Maybe they knew who Sam was and so treated him differently or maybe he exaggerrated a smidgin.

(**) Although not as bad as the time I ordered ten lengths of Flexi-track from Amazon (in one go, on one order) - and each arrived in its own large carboard box! At least amazon didn't try to charge me postage but the packaging waste was atrocious.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
On 06/02/2023 at 09:48, andrewshimmin said:

Minories.jpg

Here is my version.  More anon.

181885045_Majorbrough-A-4.jpg.793e7be7a4a1bf6bf338650728949959.jpg@

• Like 4

On 03/02/2023 at 18:26, simmo009 said:

Regarding the 200 points for pre-orders, I seem to recall that Hornby were going to withdraw these points and apply points against the value of the pre-order. Anyone else remember this?

I replied earlier and said that this rang a bell... however...

I did some checking of my TT:120 orders against my pending Rewards Points total and it seems to me that the four orders that I had placed before joining the Rewards Scheme (which were: a Class 08 and three TTAs ordered on 7th November) had not been included in my Rewards Points total - instead I had received just 200 points for "Extra points for active pre-order".

Has anyone else found this?

I might have a go at cancelling and re-ordering and to see whether the points get added in.

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Porfuera said:

I might have a go at cancelling and re-ordering and to see whether the points get added in.

the FAQ states:

- When will points for my purchases by added to my account?

- Points earned from a purchase will be available on your account to spend 14 working days after you have received your product. Points earned for other additional activities, such as completing a questionnaire, will be immediately available in your account.

so you don't get the points until 2 weeks after you get the goods.

So: "don't panic" as someone once said.

1 hour ago, PeterStiles said:

so you don't get the points until 2 weeks after you get the goods.

So: "don't panic" as someone once said.

I'm not panicking - I'm looking at my online Rewards statement and I'm doing some basic arithmetic.

For a start, my online statement commences at 22nd November, which is the day I joined the scheme because I have a 'welcome' email on that date. The online statement lists all my orders and pre-orders since that date, including cancelled ones. However...

My four pre-orders for my Class 08 and three TTAs were made on the 7th November (i.e. before the scheme even existed) and do not appear on my rewards statement in any form, not even retrospectively. Instead all I have is an entry on my rewards statement on the 22nd November which says "Extra points for active pre-order" and against this "+200pts".

Now for the arithmetic. My points balance is as follows: Available points: 0 (zero); Pending points: 5,183

If I add up all the points values in my statement that are marked 'PENDING' (i.e. outstanding orders that I haven't cancelled) I get a total of 5,183 points. The only order I have actually received to date is my Scotsman set, which I received last Saturday and is still marked as 'PENDING' because it is within the 14-day period that you mentioned above.

Therefore my pending Rewards points total does not include my pre-orders for my Class 08 or my three TTAs, which I made before the scheme started and which have not been retrospectively added to my pending points total. Maybe the points for these orders will be credited to my account once they are delivered in spite of them not appearing on my statement or being included in my pending points total but I can't know that for sure.

I guess what I need to know is: has anyone who ordered a Scotsman before 22nd November received their rewards points yet? And did the set ever appear in their statement or did the points just magically appear?

Edited by Porfuera
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

6 hours ago, Porfuera said:

I guess what I need to know is: has anyone who ordered a Scotsman before 22nd November received their rewards points yet? And did the set ever appear in their statement or did the points just magically appear?

Yes and magically, in that order

Les

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was curious to compare TT120 to N in terms not only of size but also what difference there was between what could be accommodated in a specific space. For those who like something visual as a reference, here is my "Easterner" loco and coaches plonked on my N layout. The scale for British N is 2.065mm/ft and TT120 2.5mm/ft, I have to say I was quite surprised by how much larger TT120 is in the real world.

In my opinion, if space is very limited then TT120 probably isn't the best solution as a scale in terms of how much can be fitted in a given space, especially a "roundy-roundy" but for sure it has significant benefits over OO in this respect. In terms of where TT120 "fits" I have come to the conclusion that it is best simply to look on it as another choice rather than looking at benefits or drawbacks. I have actually now ordered the blue 08 and am thinking in terms of using it to form the basis for a small shunting layout based around something Wenford Bridge "ish" in the late 70s/early 80s...

Roy

20230204_161516.jpg

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1