RMweb

Hornby announce TT:120

AY Mod

Many already have added them and run them on their layouts if FB is anything to go by. I agree the same scale makes a difference, hence my comment, neither N or OO are able to do that.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, MarkSG said:

I'm sure there are plenty of customers in Germany, France, etc who fall into the "train set" or "collector" categories, just as there are in the UK. That is, people who just buy what they enjoy running or displaying, without any particular preference for location, era, etc

I've seen reports in the relevant groups that Mallard has arrived in Hungary, too.

Review was that Tillig designed the body, painting, and lettering, but BTTB designed the attachment of the tender to the locomotive, and the connecting rods.

• Funny 3

3 hours ago, MarkSG said:

But if they model/collect in HO, they might not be all that interested in mixing and matching it with British OO, not least because it won't couple up to European HO and will, in any case, just look wrong. But British TT:120 is perfectly compatible with European TT:120, both technically and visually.

While I agree, isn’t the difference in prototype loading gauge a bit of an issue as to whether it generally ‘looks right’? Although I realise for Europe it’s not as big a difference as UK vs US (which also has hugely different prototype couplings as well, whereas most European standard gauge seems to traditionally use side buffers like the UK).

46 minutes ago, 009 micro modeller said:

isn’t the difference in prototype loading gauge a bit of an issue as to whether it generally ‘looks right’?

No; everyone knows this difference exists, so a Mallard being similar in size to one of its Continental or North American equivalents is what would look wrong.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

Thank you for the information about British and overseas models and the Black 5.

It seems that Hornby are trying to attract the nostalgia market by reproducing Hornby Dublo locomotives in 00 and TT:120 gauges. This gives us the opportunity to compare Hornby Dublo models with the new TT:120 models and 'Silver King' is the first example. I think that the 'Hornby Dublo' model was excellent. It has stood the test of time and it has only recently been surpassed by recent Hornby 00 A4s and the new TT:120 model. I think that the TT:120 model is the first 'Silver King' to be made with a cycling lion totem after the Hornby Dublo model.

P1000101.jpg

P1000095.jpg

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Stefen1988 said:

First renders of the Black Five from a Video Hornby posted 8h ago on Facebook:

B5.JPG.9b3775eb1d63ac9d65bef0fd52eada32.JPG

B6.JPG.10fd9f0727a486131a60f19720fe835e.JPG

7.JPG.92cedd0ce14065ce8ac24f0d9d8bafbe.JPG

Oh, goody! That's what I want! An 8f as well would be nice, but I'm not greedy, I can wait! ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Stefen1988 said:

First renders of the Black Five from a Video Hornby posted 8h ago on Facebook:

B5.JPG.9b3775eb1d63ac9d65bef0fd52eada32.JPG

B6.JPG.10fd9f0727a486131a60f19720fe835e.JPG

7.JPG.92cedd0ce14065ce8ac24f0d9d8bafbe.JPG

I hvnt yet managed to watch the programme myself, but the impression I got from the trailer is that this is the OO gauge model that was announced in 2022 and hasnt yet been released. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

7 minutes ago, JohnR said:

but the impression I got from the trailer is that this is the OO gauge model

It would make sense for Hornby to simultaneously  design  new products in both OO and TT120, if only to avoid research costs duplication and to have the cad files ready to go as and when.

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, natterjack said:

It would make sense for Hornby to simultaneously  design  new products in both OO and TT120, if only to avoid research costs duplication and to have the cad files ready to go as and when.

Indeed, a Black 5 is on the cards and will benefit from the work going into this, but it is most definitely the 00 model if you check the tension lock couplings.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, scots region said:

Apros of nothing, I really, really, really wish Hornby would replace the CGI 00 stock photo with actual pictures of the in-stock item, I hate making purchases on faith. 

Which products are you talking about? 

28 minutes ago, Johan DC said:

Which products are you talking about? 

The TT ones that are in-stock such as the A3s and A4s. There are distinct visual differences between them and their 00 gauge counterparts and I think customers should be aware of them. 

• Agree 1

I think anything can be Photoshopped so buying a product based on a photo seems a bit naive.  For anyone that has actually received one of the train sets and seen the impressive products I think a bit of trust should be applied!

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, scots region said:

The TT ones that are in-stock such as the A3s and A4s. There are distinct visual differences between them and their 00 gauge counterparts and I think customers should be aware of them. 

Indeed, I only saw FS, and that also has a picture. 

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

I think anything can be Photoshopped so buying a product based on a photo seems a bit naive.  For anyone that has actually received one of the train sets and seen the impressive products I think a bit of trust should be applied!

"Hello prospective purchaser.  First model railway, eh?  No, you can't buy in the shops, just from our online catalogue. Yes, our pictures are inaccurate, but just trust us anyway."

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

Yes, but its very unlikely that a manufacture would deliberately alter a real photo, not merely because of how quickly they would be found out. So an image of the real think is far more trust worthy. 

• Agree 1

Back in Triang and TH days the catalogues often had coloured drawings of new stock!! If you are that worried then the answer is simple, wait until someone posts a picture online or you can get to a show where they can be seen! Talk about a mountain from a molehill.

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Flying Pig said:

"Hello prospective purchaser.  First model railway, eh?  No, you can't buy in the shops, just from our online catalogue. Yes, our pictures are inaccurate, but just trust us anyway."

Hello prospective purchaser from Amazon, of course our pictures are accurate, see, you can even see it in different colours just with a keystroke!  First time model railway purchaser, yes it is the right colour and it does have the right number of wheels, however as you can see in the picture it is 2.5mm too wide so be very wary!

Edited by Jeff Smith
Typo
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, Hobby said:

Back in Triang and TH days the catalogues often had coloured drawings of new stock!!

And then you visited your local model shop and the shopkeeper would get the one you were interested in out of the box to let you have a good look at it. Admittedly that isn't possible with TT120, but its not possible with the standard OO gauge range either, many items are never in stock...

Of course in the "good old days" you stood a fighting chance.  In the 1961 Triang OO catalogue there were 14 steam locos, 4 diesel/DMU locos and 3 electric/EMU locos. Towards the end of the decade, numbers had actually fallen...

Edited by Hroth
update
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Yay!

Just placed my first firm order for a set of 4 maroon Mk1s to be displayed on my maintelpiece on Tillig snaptrack while I await the delivery of non-steam locos. It'll make for a rather strange rake - 2 corridor composites and 2 brake composites, but I don't care. 

As per my signature, Swiss and French HO and N are my main focus but I intend to have a bit of fun with UK TT. Anything goes! May just be for display/diorama, I may get more Tillig snaptrak and make a loop for the odd play on the floor (no room for a permanent roundy-roundy layout). I really just want to get my hands on some of the stuff without too much investment (didn't go for either of the sets - not into steam and, given my living circumstances, snaptrack is so much more convenient than standard Hornby fish-plate track - still intrigued as to why Hornby didn't try their hand at some form of snaptrack, it's so damned quick to assemble (and would have potentially attracted these target 'non-current railway modellers' due to its ease of use). Also, if you weather it up nicely, it can make for an attractive display item.

I have had a few TT Euro coaches previously, but I'm intrigued to see the difference between UK loading gauge and my Euro UIC Z loading gauge (height and length of vehicles). TT MK1s only come in at about 2cm longer than N scale UIC Z. It'll be an interesting comparison, but it'll all be coherent! At last!

Whilst I'm firmly settled between France and Switzerland now, being able to relive my earlier days of UK trainspotting with correct proportions is going to be bliss. I've tried UK OO and N but, despite being far from a rivet counter, couldn't cope with the strange proportions. 

Wishlist item - a BR green, sound-equipped 'Tractor'! (think I may be waiting a while for that one...!)

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Flying Pig said:

"or you can wait until we've made it and read the excellent reviews of the real thing...."

• Agree 3