Hornby announce TT:120

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, phil gollin said:

Any evidence for that rather silly assertion ?

Southern models (pre-grouping, grouping and British Railways are extremely popular, only Hornby seem to have gone off them.

No hardship, we’ve seen their black five so maybe not a bad thing letting someone else do some Southern stuff.

2 hours ago, BrakeCoach said:

Since the TT range is very Eastern Region focused, why not the Intercity 225? Would be nice if we got the entire ECML express lineup.

How does the 225 fit in any better than the 125 with the current and upcoming eastern steam locos? 

12 minutes ago, moawkwrd said:

How does the 225 fit in any better than the 125 with the current and upcoming eastern steam locos? 

Because they are still eastern region, ECML sets.

In an A1/A3 - A4 - Deltic - HST - 225 lineup, we have 3 down, 2 to go.

• Agree 1

Just now, BrakeCoach said:

Yes but they wouldn’t be seen together so it’s irrelevant and running a 125 alongside A3/A4s makes just as much sense. Having steam eastern locos isn’t a reason to then only have diesel or electric eastern locos unless they’re of the same era surely. 

Much as I'd like to see an IC 225, I think as they are neither a beloved classic, nor current flagship, they probably fall between two stools for Hornby's main priority - which is (once again) not a coherent range, but producing first what will sell best.

A shame, as a GNER IC225 would be rather magnificent.

A Deltic I think is likely to come at some point before too long.

They have confirmed on videos including the most recent Q&A video that Southern steam locos (including but not only the Terrier) will be coming in time.

5 hours ago, BrakeCoach said:

Since the TT range is very Eastern Region focused, why not the Intercity 225? Would be nice if we got the entire ECML express lineup.

Much as I agree with the other posts about it being a bit random and out of period with the other locos released so far, I quite like this as a concept because I live near the ECML but also, more to the point and perhaps slightly oddly, I quite like pretty much all generations of ECML express loco, from Stirling Singles right up to class 91s. And for the Deltics and various steam eras you could probably model some parts of the ECML in such a way that only minimal details would need to be swapped to represent different eras, at least from about 1900 onwards. You might even be able to stretch a bit beyond the Deltics to HSTs etc. But once you get to the 91s you really need catenary, the installation of which would mean it no longer suits the earlier periods (unless it’s removable, but even then there are other modern details that go with it that would be harder to alter).

• Like 2

12 hours ago, phil gollin said:

Any evidence for that (deleted words) assertion ?

Only the order manufacturers seem to produce stuff. I feel they would know better than people like you or I what would sell fastest and best. Though reading posts on forums and FB I have learned that plenty of people feel they know better...

• Agree 2

12 hours ago, BrakeCoach said:

If they produce a 225  then you will need OHLE to justify it or a class 67 to drag it around.

14 minutes ago, irishmail said:

If they produce a 225  then you will need OHLE to justify it or a class 67 to drag it around.

OHLE in TT:120 is produced by Sommerfeldt and Veissmann.

• Like 3

Hornby in interview with Peachy and MacTrains about the range, the issues, plans for the future and lots of background. Very interesting and explains why we can't have everything tomorrow!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 19/04/2024 at 11:03, Hobby said:

Hornby in interview with Peachy and MacTrains about the range, the issues, plans for the future and lots of background. Very interesting and explains why we can't have everything tomorrow!

I watched it last night and I quite enjoyed it. I thought they were pretty open about the issues that were discussed. That is good because if anyone is suffering from any of the running problems mentioned then it could point a way to a potential fix. For me, I think I may need to take a look at the insides of the axle boxes of my 12T tank wagons - but I think that's about the only problem I've had so far. Touch wood! Also good to know that issues are being investigated and addressed when they are discovered.

The exchanges about the design/development/production schedules were also interesting and also that they're not sticking rigidly to the original plan - as we've seen with the J50. My take on it was that they're keeping an eye on whether steam or modern image is selling better and they may further adjust the release schedule to suit.

I wasn't sure what to read into Martyn Weaver's body language at times, though - he occasionally seemed a bit fidgety - I'm sure that should mean something! 😆

Edited by Porfuera
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, osbornsmodels said:

or you could order it now. The r.r.p. is £250 so less 15% is more like £212   so someone is being optimistic with their pricing!!

From Viesman it’s €238, so about £205 rrp?

2 hours ago, Porfuera said:

I wasn't sure what to read into Martyn Weaver's body language at times, though - he occasionally seemed a bit fidgety - I'm sure that should mean something!

Some people are like that, I'm sure I'd be the same, it makes it worse when you are in front of a camera and can't move around as much as if you were standing in front of a class!

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

Surprised more people haven’t commented on the hour long Q&A session on TT120 with Martyn and Carl over on Peachys YouTube channel . Refreshingly open about some of the challenges and a couple of hints about what’s ahead , it really is very good . 

If you want more info on TT120 then it’s very informative 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hey guys, as @Porfuera mentioned earlier, yes Martyn’s on screen presence was very different from the “Live” 

I took it as a positive, he seemed much more in touch with the hobby than I previously thought, maybe because he wasn’t working from a script? 
ps I think it shows a great deal of faith to come on with very little control over what we were going to try and squeeze into the four basic areas of discussion that we’d agreed on. And although we had assured him we would edit anything he wanted us to, he didn’t once ask us. 
Chris 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, Legend said:

Surprised more people haven’t commented on the hour long Q&A session on TT120 with Martyn and Carl over on Peachys YouTube channel .

Yes it was definitely an interesting watch and worth checking out.  I really liked how open they were being.  Really refreshing and a good indicator for future communication.   Nice to see a glimpse of the livery sample Class 66 and the assembled test shot for the J50 too.  

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

On 21/04/2024 at 12:04, Peachy said:

Hey guys, as @Porfuera mentioned earlier, yes Martyn’s on screen presence was very different from the “Live” 

I took it as a positive, he seemed much more in touch with the hobby than I previously thought, maybe because he wasn’t working from a script? 
ps I think it shows a great deal of faith to come on with very little control over what we were going to try and squeeze into the four basic areas of discussion that we’d agreed on. And although we had assured him we would edit anything he wanted us to, he didn’t once ask us. 
Chris 

I think you guys did a great job of the interview. Not overly critical or unrealistic, but also not afraid to ask the questions and mention things that had been disappointing or confusing. Thanks for doing it.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

After being enthusiastic about TT120 as a concept, and having had a TT continental layout for a time, yesterday I finally saw the Hornby range at Monk Bar Models in York. 

My first impression was that it's too small. It was quite a shock to see the scale close up, Flying Scotsman, the 08, and HST.  I was strangely disconcerted and underwhelmed, it simply did not work artistically. I never expected to say it, but I think that 3mm 100 is a much more satisfying size and scale. 

I saw the 3mm 100 diesels at the York Show and felt the were immediately attractive in shape and size. 

There is something psychological about scale, and it's no coincidence that 1:100 is architect's scale. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Railpassion said:

After being enthusiastic about TT120 as a concept, and having had a TT continental layout for a time, yesterday I finally saw the Hornby range at Monk Bar Models in York. 

My first impression was that it's too small. It was quite a shock to see the scale close up, Flying Scotsman, the 08, and HST.  I was strangely disconcerted and underwhelmed, it simply did not work artistically. I never expected to say it, but I think that 3mm 100 is a much more satisfying size and scale. 

I saw the 3mm 100 diesels at the York Show and felt the were immediately attractive in shape and size. 

There is something psychological about scale, and it's no coincidence that 1:100 is architect's scale. 

It's worth saying that a lot of old TT100 is available at shows and is often very cheap. You can also buy modern 3d printed bodies to put on old model chassis. Get yourself a feedback controller and they will run well too. That's the way I'd go if I decide to go down the TT route. 

3 hours ago, Railpassion said:

But that's the thing... British equipment really is just that small.

I've wanted to get into British modelling for years, and I was really eyeing the 3mm scale stuff to at least keep the common track gauge with my other models, but in the end I just really couldn't get over the discrepancy, how oversized it looked. TT:120 came, and now I'm here too.

Japan doing N at 1:150 scale/9 mm gauge makes some sense, because the narrow-gauge appearance is a good thing, since Japan runs on Cape gauge. But a 1:101 Class 22 on 12 mm gauge being bigger than a Hungarian M41 in 1:120 on the same gauge is just... wrong. Though that might be because, being used to Continental and North American equipment, the smallness of British equipment has always been apparent to me.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4