Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Mike Storey

Oldddudders

• RMweb Premium

Very sad news, I never met Mike Storey but we regularly interacted here and he brought an awful lot to the forum. He always seemed a very straight forward and down to earth chap, no gilding or pretence, qualities to be admired in my view. RIP Mike.

• Like 3
  • Agree 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Very sorry to hear this, and condolences to his family and friends.

I'm not sure whether I ever met Mike but his was certainly a name I knew of at work, having been involved myself in a small way with the implementation of the Tribute system, and working in the part of BR that was responsible for it throughout the 1990s.

I wasn't aware of his layout thread (will now go and look for it) but always enjoyed reading his posts in the Prototype section which were always well informed, sometimes 'pithy' and invariably written with the benefit of his personal knowledge and experience.

RIP Mike.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold

Very sad to hear this news, and send my thoughts and condolences to his family and friends.

We never met, but on occasions Mike has contributed to my threads on this forum, with his invaluable knowledge of the real railways, especially the Southern, of which he will always have my thanks.

Rest in peace, Mike

• Friendly/supportive 3

Oh dear, another one bites the dust all too early.

I too worked for Sealink for most of the 1970s (bar one year in BRB HQ Management Services) with the first third of the decade at Victoria, albeit "across the road" at the Car Ferry Centre. I must have had some dealings with Mike, though, because his name was immediately familiar when I first saw it on RMweb, I had meant to get in touch to find out why but somehow never quite got round to it and it's obviously too late now. 

Somehow one always feels a certain affinity with others like Mike who have also taken the plunge and moved to the continent and, although I chose to become a francophone Belgian, my sister lives in the Vienne, not so far from the Charente Maritime. 

Rest in peace, Mike, and I really enjoyed reading the stories that you imparted in various threads here on RMweb.

• Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

The passing of anyone we've communicated with on here is a loss, but to lose some who actually had the industry knowledge and experience to back up his opinions - 99% of us have too many of the latter and not enough of the former - will leave a particular gap. 

I always enjoyed Mike's input into the debates into "Why-oh-why don't they reopen the railway to Little Muttering, it would be so busy, it's all because government's in the pocket of the road lobby, etc.".  He would always be able to refer to the previous studies (he'd often worked on them) that had demonstrated unequivocally that it would be a spectacular waste of money, or in the case of HS2, why most of the doubters were focussing on all the wrong things which happened to suit their preconceived views.

Very sad to hear of Mike's sudden death, he leaves a big void on RMWeb.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Just a quick update.  I called to see Kathy this morning. She was in good spirits with her family around her.  She seemscto be getting plans in place.  Mike is buried within sight of her Lounge window and there is a train there at the moment as the stone hasn't come yet. However there is one snag. The Undertaker didn't empty Mike's pockets and he has been buried with the car keys.  Kathy is quite philosophical about this. You couldn't make it up.

Jamie

I shouldn't put a "Funny" response but I'm afraid there is humour in something so inconvenient happening.  Best wishes to Mrs Storey.

• Agree 10

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

I shouldn't put a "Funny" response but I'm afraid there is humour in something so inconvenient happening.  Best wishes to Mrs Storey.

No problem at all. Kathy told me the tale with a smile on her face then we discussed how to get new keys forca 10 yr old Fiat. It was meant as a humorous aside. I hope some TV scriptwriter doesn't pick it up. 

Jamie

• Like 6
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

No problem at all. Kathy told me the tale with a smile on her face then we discussed how to get new keys forca 10 yr old Fiat. It was meant as a humorous aside. I hope some TV scriptwriter doesn't pick it up. 

Jamie

It could be a plotline straight from 'One Foot in the Grave'. Somehow humour does help us cope with these challenges. 

Edited by andyman7
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Jamie

My now late father managed to accidentally take the keys for the car, that the future Mrs kevinlms was intending to use a a bridal car! She had to be taken in one of the bridesmaids cars, which wasn't overly clean. I had the other set in my pocket, because it was intended to be used later by us. I think he thought he was taking that set of keys, for my use later, but it was never fully established exactly what happened!

Just past 32 years, so the world didn't end!

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
On 17/10/2022 at 23:57, TheSignalEngineer said:

Sad news. I didn't know Mike personally but his posts were worth reading as he knew lots about the big railway. Another old school railwayman sadly gone.

Exactly my thoughts.

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

We worked in different parts of the railway so I never met Mike except on here - where he was always an interesting and knowledgeable chap.  However I knew, and worked with his brother Peter - formerly a Driver at Old Oak Common and then - in the days I knew him - a Driver and staff rep at Eurostar and a very committed 0 gauge modeller who I used to see at large scale exhibitions.  My condolences to him and, of course, to Mike's family.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

This is very sad and unexpected news.  I conversed with Mike occasionally as he worked at Sealink in Victoria where my older brother worked and we knew some people in common (Brain Bartram...standing on a table in the bar at St Pancras drunk and singing).

I must say that for such a sad read I did snigger when I read of the car keys in Mikes pocket. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Such sad and surprising news.

I never knowingly met Mike, yet in a way we all knew him from his knowledgeable, insightful and thoughtful contributions here on RMweb. I always thought there was no side to him and he had a generosity of spirit.

Thoughts are with his family and friends.

Rest easy, Mike.

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2